Author Topic: XXX OLYMPIC TENNIS, 2012, July 28-August 5 (Men and Women)  (Read 28196 times)

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
Re: XXX OLYMPIC TENNIS, 2012, July 28-August 5 (Men and Women)
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 08:10:27 AM »
Given the conditions (grass, best-of-3) I think big servers like Muller, Isner and Karlovic, Del Potro can be dangerous for Federer.

If Murray overcomes Wawrinka (which I predict he will fairly comfortably, given the conditions) then he should reach the semis without difficulty. He probably feels very comfortable at Wimbledon by now.

I'm looking forward to a potential Roddick-Djokovic and Tsonga-Roanic in R2!

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »
Furthermore, some of the participants are currently playing Kitzbuhl (e.g. Haase), which is a CLAY tournament!

How the bleep is he going to be ready for grass this saturday? Please tell me.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 08:40:36 AM »
2012 Olympics at Wimbledon Draw Analysis by Masterclass

Surface: Grass
Best of 3 sets until the final which is 5 sets, no tiebreaker in any deciding set.

On grass in 3 sets, with respect to the top 4 player's chances, I first look at the dangerous stoppers. These are the players in the early rounds that are known to be very good on grass, or have a strong attacking game (very good serving, winning groundstrokes or volleys), but do not have the overall ability to win major titles.

After that, I look at the players that can compete from start to finish, and generally have a good attacking game which is favored on faster, lower bouncing grass (first week Wimbledon).

With that, let's see what we have:

#1 Federer (SUI):

I don't think Falla can get on top of Federer again. Falla is left-handed and has a strong backhand, but his serve is not that great, and he pushes a lot of shots. Federer will remember how he beat him, and apply pressure from the start.

I don't think Julian Benneteau will get by Mr. Youzhny.  I don't think either will trouble Federer anyway.

Muller might come out of the other part of Federer's section. He could be trouble.

4 players could come out of the other part of Federer's quarter.  Isner looks solid for the first 2 rounds. Nalbandian - Tipsarevic will be the most interesting match-up for me in the first round of this half of the draw. The winner of that is likely to play Ivo Karlovic.  Karlovic is clearly a stopper. He is dangerous for either Nalbandian or Tipsarevic.  Regardless, I see John Isner coming out on top in that part of the quarter. Isner also qualifies as a dangerous stopper.  I don't think he can beat Federer on grass unless Isner just serves out of his mind, but he is capable of doing so.  So John Isner is a possible upset player for Federer.  I don't like Isner's scheduling. He overplays. He appears to plays best when relatively fresh.  In my opinion he should have stopped with his victory on the grass at Newport.

So I'm going to still go with Federer to the QF.

#4 David Ferrer (ESP):

I don't think this will be Ferrer's quarter. I believe he will be upset in the second round by Phillip Kohlschreiber. I think Kohli can beat anyone else in his section of  the quarter, and I think he can beat anyone in the other half, whether it be Del Potro or Dimitrov.

Semifinal #1
Federer vs Kohlschreiber
This should be an interesting match. I see it as being a repeat of Halle, where Federer won.

-------------------------------------
#2 Novak Djokovic (SRB)

Andy Roddick is the obvious danger to Djokovic. Roddick has been playing better of late. He matches up well with Djokovic (5-3 Roddick). And it's the second round on fresh grass. If Roddick plays smart and varies the service and groundstroke placement, hits behind Djokovic, volleys occasionally, makes Djokovic slip and doubt his footing, then Roddick can win.  If Roddick just hits consistent pace to Djokovic and doesn't place with variety, Djokovic will be able to eventually start returning everything, which will frustrate Roddick and Djokovic will win.  This is a big upset chance here for Andy Roddick who is more of a stopper at this point but still a threat to go all the way, and Nole has to be very concerned with this matchup.

It doesn't get easier for either player, whomever wins.  My guess is that the winner will play either Hewitt or Cilic. Both have been good of late. Hewitt finally has some quality matches under his belt (up to Final vs. Isner at Newport) after returning from radical foot surgery.  If he's still healthy he has a solid chance against Cilic.  Hewitt/Cilic vs Roddick/Djokovic would be very interesting.

In the other section of the Djokovic draw , Jo Wilfried Tsonga is likely to have to face young fireballer and stopper Milos Raonic. But Tsonga has to watch out for Bellucci. Bellucci is another stopper possibility.   Let's say Tsonga comes out of that on top. I think he'll have to face young unseeded potential stopper David Goffin to reach the quarterfinal.

So Tsonga/Goffin vs. whomever comes out of the Hewitt/Cilic vs Roddick/Djokovic side of the quarter.
This quarter is very tough for me to call.  I'm not sure of any of those matchups on grass, though I give an edge to Roddick.

#3 Andy Murray:

Murray is challenged right away by potentially the best 1st round match in this half vs. a stopper in Stan Wawrinka.
We won't know if Murray is still bothered by the Wimbledon Championships loss till he faces Stan, so this match is not predictable for me.
Let's go with Murray being in Wimbledon form. If he's otherwise, then any player from Wawrinka on could beat him.

The winner is likely to play either potential stoppers Baghdatis or Gasquet to reach the quarters vs. Berdych, if Berdych doesn't get himself upset along the way.  Berdych shouldn't be, but one never knows with him.

IF Murray and Berdych make it through, I have to favor Murray on the faster grass where they have yet to play yet.

Semifinal #2

Murray vs. ? (Tsonga/Roddick/Hewitt)

I think Murray in his Wimbledon form can beat any of the ones who might come out of the Djokovic quarter.
If Murray is still depressed from Wimbledon, he can lose to Wawrinka and perhaps Berdych becomes the favorite in the QF.
Can Djokovic come out of his own quarter? I don't know and I'm going to say it will be very tough for him. Too many grass players with class there.

Final

Federer vs ? (Murray/Berdych/Tsonga/Roddick/Hewitt/Djokovic)

Therer are just too many unknowns for me to make a solid prediction for the Djokovic half and Murray's mood is still unknown at this point.

Regardless, I think if Federer makes it to the semifinal, he'll win the Olympics gold with perhaps the lone exception of Roddick.  Then sentimental Federer might be vulnerable.

Respectfully,
masterclass

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:45:38 AM by masterclass »
Legends of Tennis

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 08:43:08 AM »
Wawri to take Murray out in ze 1sr rn  ;-()
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »
i think djokovic is going to thrash whoever is in his path to the finals........he is sort of angry going into this event.........he said he was not 100% for that semis........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 09:47:25 AM »

Best of 3 sets until the final which is 5 sets, no tiebreaker in any deciding set.

On grass in 3 sets, with respect to the top 4 player's chances, I first look at the dangerous stoppers. These are the players in the early rounds that are known to be very good on grass, or have a strong attacking game (very good serving, winning groundstrokes or volleys), but do not have the overall ability to win major titles.

After that, I look at the players that can compete from start to finish, and generally have a good attacking game which is favored on faster, lower bouncing grass (first week Wimbledon).

#1 Federer (SUI):

I don't think Falla can get on top of Federer again. Falla is left-handed and has a strong backhand, but his serve is not that great, and he pushes a lot of shots. Federer will remember how he beat him, and apply pressure from the start.

I don't think Julian Benneteau will get by Mr. Youzhny.  I don't think either will trouble Federer anyway.

Muller might come out of the other part of Federer's section. He could be trouble.

4 players could come out of the other part of Federer's quarter.  Isner looks solid for the first 2 rounds. Nalbandian - Tipsarevic will be the most interesting match-up for me in the first round of this half of the draw. The winner of that is likely to play Ivo Karlovic.  Karlovic is clearly a stopper. He is dangerous for either Nalbandian or Tipsarevic.  Regardless, I see John Isner coming out on top in that part of the quarter. Isner also qualifies as a dangerous stopper.  I don't think he can beat Federer on grass unless Isner just serves out of his mind, but he is capable of doing so.  So John Isner is a possible upset player for Federer.  I don't like Isner's scheduling. He overplays. He appears to plays best when relatively fresh.  In my opinion he should have stopped with his victory on the grass at Newport.

#4 David Ferrer (ESP):

I don't think this will be Ferrer's quarter. I believe he will be upset in the second round by Phillip Kohlschreiber. I think Kohli can beat anyone else in his section of  the quarter, and I think he can beat anyone in the other half, whether it be Del Potro or Dimitrov.

Semifinal #1
Federer vs Kohlschreiber
This should be an interesting match. I see it as being a repeat of Halle, where Federer won.

#2 Novak Djokovic (SRB)

Andy Roddick is the obvious danger to Djokovic. Roddick has been playing better of late. He matches up well with Djokovic (5-3 Roddick). And it's the second round on fresh grass. If Roddick plays smart and varies the service and groundstroke placement, hits behind Djokovic, volleys occasionally, makes Djokovic slip and doubt his footing, then Roddick can win.  If Roddick just hits consistent pace to Djokovic and doesn't place with variety, Djokovic will be able to eventually start returning everything, which will frustrate Roddick and Djokovic will win.  This is a big upset chance here for Andy Roddick who is more of a stopper at this point but still a threat to go all the way, and Nole has to be very concerned with this matchup.

It doesn't get easier for either player, whomever wins.  My guess is that the winner will play either Hewitt or Cilic. Both have been good of late. Hewitt finally has some quality matches under his belt (up to Final vs. Isner at Newport) after returning from radical foot surgery.  If he's still healthy he has a solid chance against Cilic.  Hewitt/Cilic vs Roddick/Djokovic would be very interesting.

In the other section of the Djokovic draw , Jo Wilfried Tsonga is likely to have to face young fireballer and stopper Milos Raonic. But Tsonga has to watch out for Bellucci. Bellucci is another stopper possibility.   Let's say Tsonga comes out of that on top. I think he'll have to face young unseeded potential stopper David Goffin to reach the quarterfinal.

So Tsonga/Goffin vs. whomever comes out of the Hewitt/Cilic vs Roddick/Djokovic side of the quarter.
This quarter is very tough for me to call.  I'm not sure of any of those matchups on grass, though I give an edge to Roddick.

#3 Andy Murray:

Murray is challenged right away by potentially the best 1st round match in this half vs. a stopper in Stan Wawrinka.
We won't know if Murray is still bothered by the Wimbledon Championships loss till he faces Stan, so this match is not predictable for me.
Let's go with Murray being in Wimbledon form. If he's otherwise, then any player from Wawrinka on could beat him.

The winner is likely to play either potential stoppers Baghdatis or Gasquet to reach the quarters vs. Berdych, if Berdych doesn't get himself upset along the way.  Berdych shouldn't be, but one never knows with him.

IF Murray and Berdych make it through, I have to favor Murray on the faster grass where they have yet to play yet.

Semifinal #2

I think Murray in his Wimbledon form can beat any of the ones who might come out of the Djokovic quarter.
If Murray is still depressed from Wimbledon, he can lose to Wawrinka and perhaps Berdych becomes the favorite in the QF.
Can Djokovic come out of his own quarter? I don't know and I'm going to say it will be very tough for him. Too many grass players with class there.

Final

Therer are just too many unknowns for me to make a solid prediction for the Djokovic half and Murray's mood is still unknown at this point.

Regardless, I think if Federer makes it to the semifinal, he'll win the Olympics gold with perhaps the lone exception of Roddick.  Then sentimental Federer might be vulnerable.

Respectfully,
masterclass

to everyone, only masterclass can provide such detailed analysis.........keep them coming, MC.......

i think roddick and murray are non factors in this tournament.........it's going to be a show of the serbian........he is angry, so watch out for him........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline mtt

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »
Dream draw for Fed ???
Don't think so....

With Falla in the first round, and likely Benneteau in the second, there are 2 guys who already have given him heaps of trouble at wimbledon...
Remember, with the best out of 3 format, he would have lost against Falla a few years back, and against Benneteau recently.

And with Muller, Isner, and Karlovic there are 3 big servers lurking in his section of the draw, which can hurt him on grass....

So, I would not call this a dream draw, far from it.

Djokovic on ther other hand, has a nice draw, until a possible match with Tsonga in the quarters, there isn't really anybody in his section who could really hurt him.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »
what about the women? who does my pirru GOAT play in the first round?

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »

#1 Federer (SUI):

#4 David Ferrer (ESP):

Semifinal #1
Federer vs Kohlschreiber

#2 Novak Djokovic (SRB)

#3 Andy Murray:

Semifinal #2

Final

Respectfully,
masterclass

to everyone, only masterclass can provide such detailed analysis.........keep them coming, MC.......

i think roddick and murray are non factors in this tournament.........it's going to be a show of the serbian........he is angry, so watch out for him........

Thanks general shanks, you know, Djokovic anger may be a factor I haven't thought of.   Lately, I've only seen him be angry at himself when he is in trouble (whacking the Perrier sign to smithereens with his racquet at Roland Garros this year).  Most of the time, he seems to be in a pretty good mood and joking a lot, probably because he has mostly been playing quite well , last year especially, and a half year fairly well this year.  So we'll have to see how far his anger takes him. :) 

He's still very close to #1 in the world, so he definitely can't be dismissed, but I'm looking for him to get back on hard courts where he is most sure of his footing and his great movement trumps relatively poorer footwork.

But hey, I have no crystal ball.  I'm just telling it like I see it, which could of course be wrong. 
And the Olympics has almost notoriously been one of the worst tournaments to predict correctly.

Respectfully,
masterclass
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:18:52 AM by masterclass »
Legends of Tennis

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 10:24:46 AM »
concurred, john........olympics is a different game, we will just let them play a few rounds and see what progresses.........the event is so missing nadal of spain........

i can barely wait for other events too........track and field, gymnastics and weight lifting are absolutely breathtaking spectacles.........

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »
general shanks is spot on. top shelf analysis from general MC.

PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 10:54:16 AM »
i think djokovic is going to thrash whoever is in his path to the finals........he is sort of angry going into this event.........he said he was not 100% for that semis........
[/b]

I don't remember him saying that.  Maybe Alex can shed some light.  In fact, earlier in the tournament Novak had been wearing a blue tape on his arm.  However, in that SF, he didn't even have that on.

Good analysis by masterclass. 

I do think Roger will have trouble in the first round (some how he beats Fella, but he has trouble beating him).  But, as many of you know... I have to take it ONE match at a time.  Also...Go Stan!!!!

(now I'll go look at the women's draw) :rofl_2:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 11:01:42 AM »
I'm from Dallas, so I know all about Bullet Bob Hayes (#22 for the Cowboys).

NOTE:

To keep this thread relatively "tennis Olympic news"... We will start an "Olympic Thread" for 'other news'.  Do you guys want it to be here or in the 'general discussion thread'?  I know most people look at the threads here.  So...where would you like the "Other Olympic Sports" news thread put?

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 11:08:36 AM »

put it here......you are right, most people read threads from this section.....

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
Go with your intuition Mr. Dallas.. here would be good, I think. I know my post was not entirely tennis Olympics in response to general shanks :)

But for "some reason"  ;-() Dallas' Bullet Bob sprung to mind :)

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »
I don't think Kohlschreiber will perform well. He is currently playing Kitzbuhl on clay. How Tha Bleepers, can this fella prepare properly for the Wimbledon grass?

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »
I don't think Kohlschreiber will perform well. He is currently playing Kitzbuhl on clay. How Tha Bleepers, can this fella prepare properly for the Wimbledon grass?

That was my questions too.  If you KNEW you were going to represent your country in the Olympics....why play days before the Olympics starts - ON ANOTHER SUFACE??? Doesn't make sense.  I also think Isner might have played too much tennis leading up to the Olympics too.  But we will see.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 11:47:44 AM »

maybe he feels he hasn't hit many balls and chose to practice on clay for olympics?

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 11:48:19 AM »
honest to God, when I saw the draw, I was like wtf ... the least balanced draw in tennis history ... Fed has a cakewalk till semis (I'd even go as far as saying, no way he is not reaching the final), Nole is f.ucked, again and again .... whatever. yeah right, draws are not rigged  :zipped:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:57:03 AM by Alex »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 11:49:03 AM »

maybe he feels he hasn't hit many balls and chose to practice on clay for olympics?

He has been around a while...he may be playing too much though.  He's not a 'young gun' anymore. :rofl_2:  We will see.