Author Topic: XXX OLYMPIC TENNIS, 2012, July 28-August 5 (Men and Women)  (Read 26848 times)

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
Re: XXX OLYMPIC TENNIS, 2012, July 28-August 5 (Men and Women)
« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
Just watched the Fed-Isner match....
Lucky win by a net-dribbler from Fed, but even if it had gone to a third set, I don't think Isner would have made it...

Anyways, after the match my daughter asked me a question, to which I did not know the answer :
How is the bronze medal winner determined ?

Do the 2 semi-final losers play a match for 3rd place, ot do they both get a bronze medal ?

I bet they play the semi finalists against each.  Just a hunch.

There was a time when both losing semifinalists used to get bronze, but now, they play against each other for the bronze.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
XXX OLYMPIC TENNIS, 2012, July 28-August 5 (Men and Women)
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2012, 01:52:55 PM »
I am so glad Roger got through. It is no fun playing Isner. Now we pay Delpo AGAIN!! The is the 6th time this year that they are playing each other!! Geez!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2012, 02:10:26 PM »
Day 7 - Friday, August 3 2012  - Order Of Play

Centre Court Start: 12:00

Men's Singles - Semifinals - (1) Roger Federer (SUI) vs (8) Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG) 

Women's Singles - Semifinals - (1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) vs (4) Serena Williams (USA)   

Men's Singles - Semifinals - (3) Andy Murray (GBR) vs (2) Novak Djokovic (SRB)
Women's Doubles - Semifinals - (3) Nadia Petrova / Maria Kirilenko (RUS) vs Serena Williams / Venus Williams (USA)

Court 1 Start: 12:00

Women's Doubles - Semifinals - (1) Liezel Huber / Lisa Raymond (USA) vs (4) Andrea Hlavackova / Lucie Hradecka (CZE)
Women's Singles - Semifinals - (3) Maria Sharapova (RUS) vs (14) Maria Kirilenko (RUS)

Men's Doubles - Semifinals -  David Ferrer / Feliciano Lopez (ESP) vs (2) Michael Llodra / Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)

Mixed Doubles - Quarterfinals - Laura Robson / Andy Murray (GBR) vs Sam Stosur / Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)

Court 2 Start: 12:30

Men's Doubles - Semifinals - (1) Bob Bryan / Mike Bryan (USA) vs Julien Benneteau / Richard Gasquet (FRA)

Mixed Doubles - Quarterfinals -  Roberta Vinci / Daniele Bracciali (ITA) vs Sabine Lisicki /Christopher Kas (GER)
Mixed Doubles - Quarterfinals -  (3) Lisa Raymond / Mike Bryan (USA) vs Gisela Dulko / Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG) 
Mixed Doubles - Quarterfinals  - (1) Victoria Azarenka / Max Mirnyi (BLR)  vs Sania Mirza / Leander Paes (IND)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2012, 02:13:49 PM »
I am so glad Roger got through. It is no fun playing Isner. Now we pay Delpo AGAIN!! The is the 6th time this year that they are playing each other!! Geez!!

Surely Delpo will win a match sometime soon? Hopefully not tomorrow though.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2012, 02:39:17 PM »

Surely Delpo will win a match sometime soon? Hopefully not tomorrow though.

He has beaten Roger 2 times before...so nothing is a given.  But...GO ROGER!!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »
DelPo will have a tough time, he needs to move very well on grass to beat Fed.
His power won't be enough and his serving isn't good enough.

Djokovic Murray will be the match to see, a lot of interest in this one.

As a side note Fed dropped to second place, he needs to go farther Than Djokovic to hold onto #1 when the official rankings come out Monday.

From what I understand, these points will replace the points that Fed gained at Doha, so whatever Fed had at Doha gets subtracted.
This is enough to put Djokovic at #1 right now.
It won't be official till the rankings come out Monday morning however.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
well, swish, everyone knows who 'true #1' is  :whistle:. I think Djokovic was too silly, not to play enough MM tournaments or at least one (he didn't play any btw) tournaments and let grandpa Fed take over his position for a couple of weeks. If you look at slams, Djokovic is still number one, holding 2 slams, RG final and W semis.

anyways, I'm just toying with Dallas and FFF here, although what I said is true  :)~.

can't wait for the Nole/Murray match. It should be great. As for the Rog/DP, match, I'd love to see DP winning it, but I really doubt it ... Fed is a much better player on grass.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
well, swish, everyone knows who 'true #1' is  :whistle: . I think Djokovic was too silly, not to play enough MM tournaments or at least one (he didn't play any btw) tournaments and let grandpa Fed take over his position for a couple of weeks. If you look at slams, Djokovic is still number one, holding 2 slams, RG final and W semis.

anyways, I'm just toying with Dallas and FFF here, although what I said is true  :)~ .

can't wait for the Nole/Murray match. It should be great. As for the Rog/DP, match, I'd love to see DP winning it, but I really doubt it ... Fed is a much better player on grass.

As much as I'd like DP to take it all I just can't see it, sometimes you have to be realistic.

And really Djokovic has the best record over the past 52 weeks being that he owns 2 slams, anyone would take that over being #1 and only 1 slam.

Offline sarju04

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2012, 04:18:48 PM »
Where can I watch the highlights?????

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »
Pretty much end of the line for the Argie.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »
well, I wouldn't write him off 100%, but he would need to bring some magic. If Fed (with his average game) is on DP will be doomed.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »
well, swish, everyone knows who 'true #1' is  :whistle: . I think Djokovic was too silly, not to play enough MM tournaments or at least one (he didn't play any btw) tournaments and let grandpa Fed take over his position for a couple of weeks. If you look at slams, Djokovic is still number one, holding 2 slams, RG final and W semis.

anyways, I'm just toying with Dallas and FFF here, although what I said is true  :)~ .

As much as I'd like DP to take it all I just can't see it, sometimes you have to be realistic.

And really Djokovic has the best record over the past 52 weeks being that he owns 2 slams, anyone would take that over being #1 and only 1 slam.

you always have been realistic general swish for as long as i have known you.

still keep believing in your player. he is young, energetic, fearless, and he has massive easy power.

massive easy finishing power for that matter. the guy can end a point with a blink of an eye off either wing.

Offline sarju04

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2012, 08:11:33 PM »
well, I wouldn't write him off 100%, but he would need to bring some magic. If Fed (with his average game) is on DP will be doomed.

You are pretty ambitious. You b**ch about Federer at every chance you get and still want people to like you.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #233 on: August 02, 2012, 09:44:03 PM »

You are pretty ambitious. You b**ch about Federer at every chance you get and still want people to like you.
what is your problem? I'm not here to be liked but to talk about tennis. grow up. If your impression is that I b!tch at Fed, suit yourself, but that's simply not true (go ask other Fed fans who've been here forever. yes, we joke and poke one another but it's all in a good spirit.  I'm gonna post whatever I feel like. If you don't like it, don't read it.  just because you adore your God Fed, doesn't mean all of us on this forum should do too. I happen to like Djokovic more than Fed.
don't even talk to me, btw, not interested at all.

why, the heck, you even quoted me is a puzzle to me. all I said is that I wouldn't write off DP 100% but that Fed would probably win even with his average game. gee  ..-)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:55:41 PM by Alex »

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »
Same tactic dealing with Del Potro should be enough. Federer needs to keep his shot bounce really low so he need to play slice and drop shot well. In other hand, this surface should help Del Potro's serving and groundstroke, but in the same time it will be more diffculty to deal low bouncing ball. This surface help aggressor Del Potro should take adventage with his big grounstroke. Just hope low bouncing balls do not hurt his rhythm easily.

This surface is different to clay.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:13:29 PM by williamchung7 »

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #235 on: August 03, 2012, 04:02:10 AM »
What a set of match up in both mens and womens.  Wow! :))

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #236 on: August 03, 2012, 07:01:56 AM »
Del Potro takes 1st set.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #237 on: August 03, 2012, 07:14:51 AM »
Del Potro takes 1st set.

Del Potro certrainly takes advantage on condition with his 1st serve and groundstroke.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:34:30 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #238 on: August 03, 2012, 07:26:22 AM »
Swish are you watching?

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #239 on: August 03, 2012, 07:31:18 AM »
Swish are you watching?

Yes, can't decide who I want to win. These are both my guys.