Instructional Tennis > Tennis Rules & Regulations

1st or 2nd serve?

<< < (2/2)

monstertruck:

--- Quote from: Jamesdster on July 26, 2012, 06:58:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: monstertruck on July 26, 2012, 06:38:11 AM ---I serve, hit the tape, ball lands out but stays in opponents playing area.
I ask to have the ball cleared and he refuses.
At this point some time has elapsed.
Can I demand the ball be cleared?
Do I get another 1st serve?

--- End quote ---

Any request to remove a ball from the playing area must be honored.  If I was a roving or chair umpire I would award you a first serve if your opponent refused and thus created a delay.  I would probably also give him/her a "soft caution" (warnings are no longer given haha) pertaining to gamesmanship.  But a bigger question for you:  WHY would you want the ball removed?  If you hit the ball that remains on his / her ct, you would almost certainly win the point.

--- End quote ---
It would be a distraction for me. :;:-|

jarinahpel:
 I would probably also give him/her a "soft caution" (warnings are no longer given haha) pertaining to gamesmanship.  But a bigger question for you:  WHY would you want the ball removed?  If you hit the ball that remains on his / her ct, you would almost certainly win the point.

monstertruck:

--- Quote from: jarinahpel on September 14, 2013, 03:41:08 PM --- I would probably also give him/her a "soft caution" (warnings are no longer given haha) pertaining to gamesmanship.  But a bigger question for you:  WHY would you want the ball removed?  If you hit the ball that remains on his / her ct, you would almost certainly win the point.

--- End quote ---
As much as I like to win, I certainly don't want any of my opponents injured.  I'd much rather win a point 'cleanly' than with the help of as stray ball.

I believe the term for my 'condition' is analosity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version