Author Topic: XXX OLYMPIC (TALK GENERAL OLYMPICS & OTHER OLYMPIC SPORTS NEWS HERE), 2012  (Read 14030 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
very classy ceremony by Brits  :gleam: nothing fancy..
I liked the opening sequences more..
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Well...we are finally about to see what the rest of the world has already seen - the opening ceremony!!! Only about 3 hours late and in a tape delayed broadcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Any word on Usain Bolt?
I heard for awhile there he was injured, but now appears fine.

For those who don't know he'll be going for the gold in the track 100 and 200 meter.

for the way he took his country flag and all the smiles and confidence, seems he is very ready to repeat olympic glory.

the ceremony was very nice, very british, opener unforgettable, the crowd very enthisiastic, the queen was fantastic, lightning of the torch was emotional, great opening ceremony!

nice to see a tribute to Ali and a lot of tennis players as flag bearers, just to name three, Stan was very emotional, Nole was very enthusiastic and funny, Maria Sharapova, well, she introduced the russian delegation with so much class, smiles and elegance. 

those are the events I will try to follow wen the medals will be up for grabs: gymnastics, hockey, volleyball, handball, diving, wrestling, judo, taekwondo, swimmnig,  rowing, fotball, basketball and boxing. basically a lot of sports that I can not normally watch on tv, but tennis will still be my first priority. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:17:10 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Did you all see any more tennis players? Was Roger, Venus, Serena?

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Did you all see any more tennis players? Was Roger, Venus, Serena?

I know you will buy the CD or... even better the Czech boots! lol

the Fijian flagbearer, lol

first games with women in all the delegations (Saudi Arabia was the last country to say yes, and taking part in all the sports (boxing was the last one)

the march of the 204 delegations was very fast, like a new world record, it was incredible fast.
so, one of the mistakes of the ceremony was that they din't have time to catch the stars in the delegations, just basically the flag bearers and some very top athletes from the big sports country like Kobe Bryant.
flagbearers: Sharapova, Djokovic, Wawrinka, Baghdatis, Radwanska, Tecau, Mirnyi, Vogt, as the ones I can remember.
with the spanish tv audio feed saw Granollers and the international feed saw Del Potro and Monaco, Del Potro was put on Tv when Nole was marching on.
I think Federer and the Sisters were not in the ceremony, for example saw legend Bubka (probable new IOC president) as part of the Ukrainian delegation, it is actuallly quite exhausting and late for some players with matches tomorrow at SW19. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:38:57 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Since they play tomorrow, I can understand if Roger and Serena wasn't there.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Any word on Usain Bolt?
I heard for awhile there he was injured, but now appears fine.

For those who don't know he'll be going for the gold in the track 100 and 200 meter.

for the way he took his country flag and all the smiles and confidence, seems he is very ready to repeat olympic glory.

the ceremony was very nice, very british, opener unforgettable, the crowd very enthisiastic, the queen was fantastic, lightning of the torch was emotional, great opening ceremony!

nice to see a tribute to Ali and a lot of tennis players as flag bearers, just to name three, Stan was very emotional, Nole was very enthusiastic and funny, Maria Sharapova, well, she introduced the russian delegation with so much class, smiles and elegance. 

those are the events I will try to follow wen the medals will be up for grabs: gymnastics, hockey, volleyball, handball, diving, wrestling, judo, taekwondo, swimmnig,  rowing, fotball, basketball and boxing. basically a lot of sports that I can not normally watch on tv, but tennis will still be my first priority. 

Sharapova can really put on the charm if she wants, you can read how she feels just by looking at her.

I might have to take a few weeks off for this event.  :king:

Offline Sonja1989

• Tennis Player
Hard draw for Kubot against Dimitrov at first round :crying:
And for Granollers/Marc Lopez too, especially with Federer/Wawrinka at second round then Bryans :crying:
Vamos Spanish players!!!

Marcel Granollers :)) :worthy:
Łukasz Kubot :lust:
Rafa Nadal :spot on:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
i am expecting big things from marcel and marc lopez at the olympics diana.
lets hop they can take home the gold or the silver.

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
I asked myself if something could beat the Beijing opening ceremony, and with that as a tape rule, I found the opening ceremony to be dull and often changed channels to see what was next.
I think they didn't try anything fancy, just gave us a history of Britain, which might be very heartfelt for a Brit but Olympics is not for Brits, its for the whole world.
I was really expecting a more entertaining opener even with the high regards I had of Beijing.
The world awaits no genius

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
i am watching the ceremonies. some of these nations have no more than 3-4 athletes but it is still great to see them participate in the olympics.
its a great start for them anway. more will follow in their footsteps.

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
And I also thought the Mr. Bean part was not necessary. I was happy to see him though. And why did William had to kiss Kate again ????? It makes one feel even that was part of the script.

Overall I thought, this was a show about the pride of Britain and them still thinking they are still in 1700 and deserve to rule the world.
The world awaits no genius

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
i could not watch it for too long either.
i want action. i need to see the athletes doing their thing out on the field.

ceremonies dont seem to do it for me anymore.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
I asked myself if something could beat the Beijing opening ceremony, and with that as a tape rule, I found the opening ceremony to be dull and often changed channels to see what was next.
I think they didn't try anything fancy, just gave us a history of Britain, which might be very heartfelt for a Brit but Olympics is not for Brits, its for the whole world.
I was really expecting a more entertaining opener even with the high regards I had of Beijing.

I do think, I am not being patriotic in this one, but I think the best opening ceremony and the one who set the rolemodel that unfolded was the one of Barcelona 1992, and still the magic moment - lighting the torch-the Barcelona one was simply the best

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
And I also thought the Mr. Bean part was not necessary. I was happy to see him though. And why did William had to kiss Kate again ????? It makes one feel even that was part of the script.

Overall I thought, this was a show about the pride of Britain and them still thinking they are still in 1700 and deserve to rule the world.

I totally disagree of you, the ceremony truly show the post empire attitude of Britain. it was new and fresh, we didn't see today the opening of London 1948, it was the opposite, but of course there's some patriotic feeling in all the opening and this time it was ok, not over the top. In fact, for example in Vancouver 2010, we din't knew what was Canada if you look at the opening ceremony.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
i could not watch it for too long either.
i want action. i need to see the athletes doing their thing out on the field.

ceremonies dont seem to do it for me anymore.

HOLA HERCULES!!!!!!!!!  :)

and which are the sports you will be interested? thanks in advance

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
hola princess conchita. i love track and field the best.
i ran a mile, 2 mile, and i pole vaulted in highschool.
i was hooked on track and field very early .

by the way there is a new tiny chat thread at the general discussion/non-tennis section right here at our forum.

check it out. it is just something small that might allow a few people to stay in touch. mimi and general masterlcass have been kind enough to visit it and say hello.

let me just say this while i am talking about general masterclass and mimi: i am not sure if i have ever run into anybody as kind, as fair, as just, and as thoughtful as these two. these 2 broke the mold on doing the right thing.

dallas, scott, monster man, general swish, general shanks, and general lugburz have also stopped by to say hello.

i dont see many coming here from mtf so we will just try to enjoy it ourselves. i have noticed that people dont really want to talk tennis 24 hours a day.

also chat threads are known to increase membership and chat activity all over the forum but it does take time.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:36:27 PM by hercules »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God

Sharapova can really put on the charm if she wants, you can read how she feels just by looking at her.

I might have to take a few weeks off for this event.  :king:

have been thinking what could be the biggest moment in this tennis season and I think so far til an olympic surprise or Murray/Clijsters winning the USO, I think this is the most important moment of the tennis season.
Azarenka winning first major was great, but Dojkovic, Nadal, Federer, Serena is a deja-vu

this is the most important moment imo of the season, now if only grunt less...doesn't matter at all, the cow on ice

Sharapova completing career grand slam, wins FO 2012

Marķa Sharapova-Roland Garros 2012-Himno de Rusia
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:49:25 AM by conchita »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
I missed the lighting of the torch. Hung in for 3 1/2 hours, just long enough to see the Americans march in.

Those first 3 1/2 hours were an abomination. Just brutal!   :bang-head:

What was that music/dance tribute that followed the industrial revolution all about???

And Mr. Bean?! Wow! Just wow!

!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 05:26:24 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
What was that music/dance tribute that followed the industrial revolution all about???

^^ this. It was really unnecessary, the opening sequences prior to dancing were perfect!
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT