Author Topic: XXX OLYMPIC (TALK GENERAL OLYMPICS & OTHER OLYMPIC SPORTS NEWS HERE), 2012  (Read 14201 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Tsonga on CC, Nole on C1, Ferrer on C2, lovely  ..-).
General Crankiness  :)
p.s. I'll try to find something else to complain/whine  later  :)~
Slow service in the sports bar will probably be your next target..... :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
general crankiness shaking and baking.

life is short general. why not whine and dine.

let us know when you get bored with "general crankiness". we will start calling you general "whine and dine".  :)) :rofl_2:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God

he will whine about having too much ice in his milk. i can hear him now. :))

i will alert the barkeep there to double up on ice when general crankiness pulls up for his regular glass of milk.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:00:41 PM by hercules »

Online Alex

• Tennis God

he will whine about having too much ice in his milk. i can hear him now. :))

i will alert the barkeep there to double up on ice when general crankiness pulls up for his regular glass of vodka.
fixed  it for you  :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
So, who is on the schedule for tomorrow?

Online Alex

• Tennis God
So, who is on the schedule for tomorrow?
Conchita posted it already (the other Olympics thread). I'm still mad that Nole is on C1, while Tsonga is on CC. well, probably won't be able to see the match at all (tired of live streams) ... they are showing some tennis but with big delays (I saw Roger and Serena but I already knew both results, and it was only a recap thing) ... I can watch NBC but they suck too (they are showing Americans only, even some events I've never heard of) ...  :whistle: ... TSN is showing right now girls playing soccer (I'm so interested I'm falling asleep) ...
Mr. Cranky  :gleam:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
rough day for nalFATian today. he lost both of his matches.

he took a beating in singles and doubles.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Alex, what I didn't like is not Nole on court 1, I dislike the fact his doubles match with Troicki, eight seeds, aganist a tricky swedish duo, Brunstrom/Linstedt is not on an tv show court, they decided to showed on tv instead on C14, 7 seeds Bhupathi/Bopanna vs Bury/Mirnyi.
Federer/Wawrinka and the Sisters doubles matches will be on tv, not the one of Nole/Troicki.

fencing is Italia and then the others. in archery seems China has taken the traditional gold sport of South Korea.

the medal table will be interesting, prior to Beijing 2008 USA had been the nº1 til Altanta'96. In Barcelona'92, the unified team (soviets) were still able to take the most medals.
Seems Great Britain expects 90 medals????????? confirmation on that, It is great to watch a soccer team called Great Britain.
China got a lot of medals in Beijing in some events where the judje decided, we are in a very different scenario here. and in some traditional events like badminton or tennis table for China the IOC has eliminated some events and the chances of an all chinese podium, only 2 chinese in those events.

I also prefered Lochte than Phelps, don't want to see the record of Latynina borken.

the chinese men in artistic gymnastic had a big nightmare in qualification.

so bad you need to sell a horrible design of shirts and other clothes in order to avoid the classical who can win a medal by the national media, this is the case of Spain, those are going to be a difficult games for Spain, and they already have the escuse for the poor performance, the economic crisis.

hero of the day: what a guy! the russian golden judoka, Arsen Galstyan impressive!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
Conchita, I get it and I agree with you. apparently, I won't be able to see many tennis matches ... it sucks. so, my plan is to simply wait till semis and hope that major networks will broadcast tennis. Meanwhile, I'm going to try to enjoy the Olympics ... looking forward to swimming, athletics, and gymnastics the most.

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
anybody excited about swimming? So happy Lochte won. Love Lochte  :)). Phelps going down makes me happy too, sorry feel kinda evil, don't like him at all  :Devil: ... reminds me of that arrogant Swiss guy :)~ (dedicated to Dallas  :innocent:).
Why don't you like Wawrinka ? I'm baffled !!
The world awaits no genius

Online Alex

• Tennis God
anybody excited about swimming? So happy Lochte won. Love Lochte  :)). Phelps going down makes me happy too, sorry feel kinda evil, don't like him at all  :Devil: ... reminds me of that arrogant Swiss guy :)~ (dedicated to Dallas  :innocent:).
Why don't you like Wawrinka ? I'm baffled !!
no, no, no ... It's not that I like Wawa, I love him  :)) ... seriously, I do like Stan, I'm just afraid that we can not really compare Wawa with Lochte  :)

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
Phelps is a great swimming champion.  Yet, from what this article says, he competed in this event without due preparation & took part on the "off chance".   Lochte, meanwhile, had been preparing for it for several years.  The result is self explanatory.  Preparation is key.
Superb performance by Lochte. 

Here's the article:

""London 2012 Olympics: Ryan Lochte wins 400m individual medley as pool king Michael Phelps loses out.

The duel in the pool turned out to be a one-man show: Ryan Lochte won the 400 metres individual medley with an imposing swim, leaving the field, including Michael Phelps, in his imperious wake.
It was a humbling experience for Phelps who could only finish fourth. This was the first time the greatest swimmer in history had finished off the podium in an Olympic final, since coming fifth at the Sydney 2000 Games.
For Lochte, this was the day he came out of Phelps’s Olympic shadow. Phelps had stopped racing the 400m medley after Beijing but had come back to try to replicate the glory of four years ago. Lochte, the world champion, showed him there is a new king in the pool in this most gruelling of events.
“For four years I’ve been training hard,” Lochte said. “This is just my first event so I’m really happy. I’m ready to rock this Olympics. I was in kind of shock at the end. I could hear the fans screaming and having my family here helped me a lot.”
Lochte won by more than three seconds, in a time of 4min 5.18sec. ""

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/swimming/9435406/London-2012-Olympics-Ryan-Lochte-wins-400m-individual-medley-as-pool-king-Michael-Phelps-loses-out.html

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:11:13 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
Alex, what I didn't like is not Nole on court 1, I dislike the fact his doubles match with Troicki, eight seeds, aganist a tricky swedish duo, Brunstrom/Linstedt is not on an tv show court, they decided to showed on tv instead on C14, 7 seeds
Federer/Wawrinka and the Sisters doubles matches will be on tv, not the one of Nole/Troicki...........
CONCHITA -  I would much prefer to see Bhupathi/Bopanna vs Bury/Mirnyi to Djokovic/Troicki vs Brunstrom/Lindsedt.   The Indian doubles pair & Mirnyi are some of the best doubles players out there & multiple doubles title holders. Mirnyi won the FO this year & the WTF in 2011.   My point is that this so called "unfairness" is nothing of the sort.  As a lover of the doubles game too, I would prefer to see the better doubles players.

As for Federer/Wawrinka & the Williams sisters - surely it must be obvious that as the gold medalists of 2008, they would have precedence as defending champions!!  And if anyone doubts that the Williams sisterd are the greatest womens doubles champions  regardless of the gold in 2008, then I suggest they think again.  I'd watch them over Djokovic/Troicki any day, and I'm not sure why the Serbian pair would be prioritised in the doubles anyway.   

I suspect this discussion should be in the "tennis" Olympic thread, but it seems that most threads on this board go off topic, or become chat threads.  It adds to the charm!!   :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:32:27 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
opening ceremony started at 1 AM indian standard time and i din't bother wasting sleep for it........i haven't seen the rerun either and it looks like the ceremony was not as good as beijing 2008 going by your comments........

i just checked the first 20 minutes in youtube today morning and the stadium was in smoke and filled with rubbish all over........
you didn't miss anything. It was pretty mediocre and boring. It was all about British history ... few funny moments (Mr. Bean), but that was it.

the first 20 mins certainly looked like rubbing their history on the viewers........hopefully the games will be better than the ceremony........

I'm surprised than an Indian is talking about rubbing 'their' history on the viewers !!

we have a history close to 12,000 years and we never tried to rub that on others........a history that transcends time........

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:45:56 PM by Start da Game »
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
These comments by MEDWATT & START da GAME do this board no favours & I find them both offensive.  I trust the Mods will ensure that this type of racist & biggoted drivel will be deleted.

I can't help but be disappointed that whilst the thread was created to celebrate the current Olympics, which in turn celebrate the concept of fair play & good sportsmanship,  these comments show how good sportmanship is not as widespread as one would hope.  And I can't see why people must air their personal battles here - please do it privately.   Any more of this type of nonsense, and it won't be worth logging on.  What a pity.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:43:55 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
These comments by MEDWATT & START da GAME do this board no favours & I find them both offensive.  I trust the Mods will ensure that this type of racist & biggoted drivel will be deleted.

I can't help but be disappointed that whilst the thread was created to celebrate the current Olympics, which in turn celebrate the concept of fair play & good sportsmanship,  these comments show how good sportmanship is not as widespread as one would hope.  And I can't see why people must air their personal battles here - please do it privately.   Any more of this type of nonsense, and it won't be worth logging on.  What a pity.

medwatt made that post 16 hours back and you had no problems then, but you decide only now to seek mod help just after i replied to that comment........

i am certainly not the only one here who feels that they 'rubbed' their history on viewers........i just echoed alex's view and medwatt and you for some reason only got offended by my comment........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
StartdaGame I read Medwatts comment because of yours above - I hadn't seen it before. But frankly, your comment alone is sufficient for my objection. And this response of yours, justifying what you said, underlines what I say.  That's my last word on it, I have no interest in bandying words with you.

As for the Olympics, rain has affected the tennis & I wonder if other events have been delayed - I haven't found any news to that effect as yet. 

Meanwhile, I enjoy the fencing too & this was an interesting piece:

Vezzali denied fourth successive gold

""Italian fencing star Valentina Vezzali was denied a piece of Olympic Games history after a shock defeat at the ExCeL Arena.
The 38-year-old was thwarted by compatriot Arianna Errigo in her bid for an amazing fourth consecutive Individual Foil gold at the Games.

No woman has achieved that in any individual Olympic event - and the only men to have done it are Carl Lewis in the long jump (1984-96) and fellow American Al Oerter in the discus (1956-68).

Vezzali, who carried Italy's flag at the Opening Ceremony, made it through to the semi-finals, taking her unbeaten Olympic run to 18 contests since she lost the 1996 final.

It then came down to the world's top four - three of them Italians - and number one Vezzali was beaten 15-12 by fourth-ranked Errigo, only the third time the 24-year-old had defeated her in 16 fights. ""

http://www.london2012.com/news/articles/vezzali-denied-fourth-successive-gold.html

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:21:07 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Online Alex

• Tennis God
I don't think we'll see any tennis today outside of CC. It'll be raining all day long in London (that's what they said on TSN). I'm still so upset that Nole is scheduled to play on C1 and Tsonga is on CC  :mad1:.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
I don't think we'll see any tennis today outside of CC. It'll be raining all day long in London (that's what they said on TSN). I'm still so upset that Nole is scheduled to play on C1 and Tsonga is on CC  :mad1:.
As far as the singles matches go, I agree that putting Djokovic on anything other than CC is disrespectful to his status.  I accept that spectators on the other show courts are entitled to see the top players too, but Djokovic is entitled to play his opener in CC.  Certainly, he should be prioritised over Tsonga, or any lower ranked player.

Carpe Diem

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
The hard truth is that the audience probably prefer Federer, Murray, Tsonga over Djokovic.

Has nothing to do with his status, he is the best player in the world currently, but with his "entertainment value" in the UK.