Author Topic: Nole's French Open, Wimbledon Campaigns Revisted : What Went Wrong  (Read 2409 times)

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
Re: Nole's French Open, Wimbledon Campaigns Revisted : What Went Wrong
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »
If he can regain his 2011 form, he will be able to beat Rafa at RG. No doubt about it.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »
If he can regain his 2011 form, he will be able to beat Rafa at RG. No doubt about it.

I agree, Djokovic played some of the best clay tennis in 2011, he was a "unruly beast" that year early.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »
affirmative general swish.

nole is great at putting losses behind and looking forward to a better day. lot of the great players have that quality.  he is motivated and driven.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 05:01:52 PM »
i am baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

vamossssssssssssssss. lets get this party started.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:02:59 PM by hercules »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 06:26:15 PM »
i am baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

vamossssssssssssssss. lets get this party started.

Welcome back General Herc!
Good to see you got your accounts in order, things can now progress.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 06:51:04 PM »

nole is great at putting losses behind and looking forward to a better day. lot of the great players have that quality.  he is motivated and driven.

That's one area I really like about Nole, he accepts defeat and then comes back anew.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 07:07:10 PM »
agreed general swish. he is also a great sportsman.

he is the only player i have ever seen who is willing to give his opponents a hug at the net evern after a loss.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 11:56:02 PM »
agreed general swish. he is also a great sportsman.

he is the only player i have ever seen who is willing to give his opponents a hug at the net evern after a loss.

Yeah, he is a "gallant loser" - that is one of the things I appreciate in him.  :)

That's one area I really like about Nole, he accepts defeat and then comes back anew.

Yeah, even after losing in the RG final, he was so positive. I liked his sense of perspective.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 12:01:53 AM »
nole is a huge asset to our sport. he has also grown up a lot as a person.

there is a great human and a personable element to him.  i think it is admirable.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »
i keep forgetting to mention this oracle86.

i like your sig. its pretty cool.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 10:16:52 AM »
Nole had a momentum at RG, he was up a break then we had some rain, he lost that momentum. Losing to Fed at W was a huge blow for me. Some guys say that Nole was sick. I don't know. Novak played brilliantly till semis, Roger's form was very questionable. meh... I have nothing to say  :\

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »
how do you like nole`s chances at RG next year general shanks?

and what about the u.s. open this year?

I think Nole's chances at RG are excellent for 2013. He won't be as nervous/tired and he will complete his career slam.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »
and how do you know that he wont be as nervous and as tired next year?

i would think that anybody going up against a 7 times rg champ is going to be a little nervous. and what if he gets caught up again in a couple of 5 setters on his way to a final?

rg title is not that easy to win.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »
and how do you know that he wont be as nervous and as tired next year?

i would think that anybody going up against a 7 times rg champ is going to be a little nervous. and what if he gets caught up again in a couple of 5 setters on his way to a final?

rg title is not that easy to win.
who knows my friend. I agree that RG is probably the toughest slam to win. Assuming, Rafa is healthy he'll be favorite ... then, winning 8 will be crazy ... Nole will have his chances too, it's too early to discuss RG at this point I guess.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 03:11:08 AM »
What happened to Nole?  From my point of view, nothing so surprising.

1.  He simply ran into the best players at these tournaments in the last decade while they were in very good form.  :dunno: 7 Roland Garros and 7 Wimbledon championships don't lie.  Novak has won 0 at Roland Garros and 1 Wimbledon, so it's very difficult to get past these record holding champions at these events.

2. The key in a major is being able to pace oneself throughout the 2 weeks. Many look great in the first week only to falter at the business end.  Essentially, one wants to be playing their best tennis in the semifinal and final where the toughest opposition usually is.  I don't pay too much attention to a top player who appears to struggle in early or mid rounds, but still wins, as long as they don't expend too much energy (like too many 5 setters, 4 or 5 hours). If anything, it can make them tougher in later rounds.

3. One must be in fairly good shape going into the major, or it is very difficult.  Giving winning performances at both Roland Garros and Wimbledon has never been easy.  Since 1970 only 3 men have done it. Borg 3 times, Nadal twice and Federer once.   As one gets older, it gets even more difficult.  Nadal and Djokovic put in top performances at Roland Garros and had a busy clay season prior to that, with Nadal coming out on top.  From an energy standpoint, I think they both were not able to give their absolute best at Wimbledon. 

Roger Federer announced his priorities before the season began.  He wanted to be primed for Wimbledon and the Olympics.  I think Federer has realized by now that if Nadal makes the final at Roland Garros, it is not going to go his way.  I said before Roland Garros started that I would be surprised if Federer went beyond the semifinal if Nadal was still in the picture.  Why expend so much energy to get clobbered again?  Especially as he approaches 31 years of age. Better to exit from Paris, and move on to the grass and let Djokovic and Nadal fight it out.  So Federer still had a good amount in the tank for his run to the Wimbledon final. 

Nadal looked tired at Halle, and not much better at Wimbledon. He was putting more effort into following the Euro Cup tournament than into Wimbledon.  Playing football with his friends and parties late into the night.  The knee tendinitis stuff is chronic.  It's always going to bother him more when he gets tired.  After Wimbledon, after presumably getting more injections for his tendinitis, he took a vacation and went fishing and jet skiing with his friends.  He was still not in condition to play at the Olympics after that and his doctors told him that he needed another 15 days rest without any sporting activities and so, missed the Olympics.  Perhaps he will be back for Toronto or Cincinnati.

Djokovic gave pretty much the same effort for the clay season as Nadal.  He failed in 3 clay finals to beat Nadal for varying reasons, but lost all the same. After a long Roland Garros final loss he did not compete in any ATP event until Wimbledon.  He came to Wimbledon only a bit fresher than Nadal. His matches all the way up to the semifinal were against relatively easy opponents and he disposed of them without much undue effort. But I think that hurt him a bit in that he was not as tested as much as he should be when thrown in against Federer. 

Also, the cloudy and wet weather during the entire fortnight did not help Djokovic.  It kept the grass fresher and soil moister with the result being a more "slippery" court and lower bounces. Djokovic, like Nadal, profits from the grass being worn down to dirt, especially all the way across the baseline and hot dry conditions that bake the soil and make it higher bouncing.  In those conditions, they can use their great movement to run down almost every ball and they don't slip on the grass. 

At Wimbledon 2012, it was rain, rain, rain, and not much sun.  The grass stayed in pretty good shape all the way through to the final. Only the grass near where the players serve behind and just in front of the baseline was worn to dirt.  Once near the doubles alley, the grass was barely worn.  The roof only exacerbates the conditions as it becomes more humid.  And we saw Djokovic, Nadal, and Murray slipping again and again there, and also when pushed to come to the net.  Federer?  Hardly any slipping at all. His east-west movement may no longer be as good as it was, and not as good as these players outstanding movement, but Roger's footwork remains much among the best. Federer makes the correct minor adjustments in footwork that need to be made on the more slippery surfaces such as grass and as we saw, the blue clay of Madrid.  He glides across the surfaces, and doesn't rely on hard planting of the feet to give him the leg power like Djokovic does on hard court.  When Nole starts slipping, his overall confidence to hit his shots goes down.  He misses relatively easy overheads, volleys, and other footwork dependent shots. And then once that happens he gets into a more depressed state of mind. 

All of these factors were enough to help him lose.

I expect Novak Djokovic to be able to get back to his normal game on the hard courts.  He doesn't have quite as much advantage at the summer hard court season in North America because the courts are generally faster/lower bouncing than say in Australia or Miami.  But still, he should be a force, unless his confidence has taken too much of a hit.  I don't see that happening.  I expect him to be at his best.  Will it be enough? Only time will tell. There are so many good players on the hard court.  I would not be surprised at any player among Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga, Berdych, Del Potro, Federer, Nadal being in the picture at the US Open.  There can be only one winner.   Who will it be?  ;-()

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 03:23:34 AM »
i keep forgetting to mention this oracle86.

i like your sig. its pretty cool.

Thanks! I'm a huge fan of the director Christopher Nolan.  :)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 06:07:30 AM »
there is no chance for anybody if nadal is fit next year........it will be business as usual........good luck in 2014........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »
there is no chance for anybody if nadal is fit next year........it will be business as usual........good luck in 2014........

Nadal's body does not hold up for one entire season.
Historically, he hasn't been 100% at either the AO or the indoor season. Once either 2 years he has some problems mid-season as well.

Common sense tells me that his physical troubles should increase with age.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »
watch him skip barcelona next year........this year he won 4 out of 5 big titles on clay in a very short time when there was no need at all........he needed to win just 3 and rest up between events and keep himself riskfree........there was a big mid season coming up and he still played recklessly........rightfully paid a heavy price........

so next year he will be cautious around this time and will most probably get injured after us open........and then in 2014 he will mess with his clay season again........that's how i see the cycle going.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2012, 04:10:15 AM »
Time to add the Olympics loss to this thread now. So he has now lost to Rafa in RG, Fed in Wimby and Andy in Olympics.

His movement was affected. I guess he just can't move well on grass/ dirt. And he made so many silly errors than the usual. He had a lot of difficulty converting BPs. Andy was in incredible form, but if Nole had played well, he could done better. He looked a far shadow of the player who dominated the rest of the field last year. Dunno what's wrong TBH.