Author Topic: Can Murray win a Grand Slam?  (Read 3064 times)

Online Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
Can Murray win a Grand Slam?
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
Hey guys, what do you think?

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
Re: Can Murray win a Grand Slam?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
yes, but his time's running out-the stats are against him, and they're a pretty ruthless bunch.
He's actually positioning himself pretty well for the US open, having just beaten Djokovic etc he's the de facto no 2 player at the moment.
  I still think Djoko will win the US open-it's a surface that really suits him and i've predicted hed only win the hard court slams this year.  Fed winning an 18th slam is starting to sound ridiculous (Christ he'll be up with navratilova/Evert in grandslam victories) but i hope i'm wrong and Murray wins.
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Online Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »
yes, but his time's running out-the stats are against him, and they're a pretty ruthless bunch.
He's actually positioning himself pretty well for the US open, having just beaten Djokovic etc he's the de facto no 2 player at the moment.
  I still think Djoko will win the US open-it's a surface that really suits him and i've predicted hed only win the hard court slams this year.  Fed winning an 18th slam is starting to sound ridiculous (Christ he'll be up with navratilova/Evert in grandslam victories) but i hope i'm wrong and Murray wins.
Djokovic is my favorite player, but i like Murray too. I wish he wins a major.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »
If Murray plays tennis like today he can win a Slam,i'm just so happy with the Olympic Gold.The last time we won Mens Tennis Olympic Gold was in 1908 :)

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:32:36 AM »
Yes

Online Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »
If Murray plays tennis like today he can win a Slam,i'm just so happy with the Olympic Gold.The last time we won Mens Tennis Olympic Gold was in 1908 :)
I agree, but Djokovic, Nadal and Federer are bests of Murray.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
He still has to prove it.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:45:30 PM »
He still has to prove it.

He did beat Roger today over 5 sets on grass,i think that tells you what can happen.Olympic Gold if you think about,it is harder to win. ;-()

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 08:52:37 PM »
sure he can. will he? I don't know. however, I think he is mentally ready.

Offline no_1_djoko_fan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 06:09:41 AM »
Murray proved with his three set dismantling of Federer in the Olympic final to win gold yesterday, that he is capable of winning in five sets against the big three guns. There is nothing wrong in his game or his mind to stop him now. I think momentum can do strange things. It did for Nole. After he won the Davis Cup for Serbia, he has won five slams since. Maybe Murray will have the same effect.
"Sometimes it feels like you're not on a tennis court, the amount of noise you guys produce and for us it's a great feeling. It's a pleasure playing in front of you. It's my great privilege to be standing here in front of one of the greatest players ever, Rod Laver. "

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »

Alex if he smashes Fed up like he did on grass,he can sure win a Slam when playing like that.Lendl ways look like thay are starting to work on Murray's game.I don't think he will get the USO this time,but i do think he will take the Ozz open @ the start of next year.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:35:37 PM by sid »

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
The reason why Murray hasn't won a slam as yet is because he lacked self belief.   Many, including me, have long believed that he has the game to do so.   His performance at the OG's shows that he no longer lacks belief. He put the loss in the Wimbledon final behind him very quickly and was focused.  He played superbly, losing only one set en route to the gold medal, beating both the world number one & number two.   To me, Murray has found himself.  As such, he certainly can & I think will, win a slam. 

I do not agree though that it is a foregone conclusion simply because he won the OG gold.  I disagree that the OG is comparable to a GS.  Murray has beaten Federer / Djokovic / Nadal in the ATP tournaments before. He seemed confident & capable of replicating this at GS level. But he didn't do it.   Perhaps the momentum shift he has waited for is finally here. I think it is.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:37:49 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Imsda

• Tennis Player
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 05:05:54 AM »
I think he can, he has got the experience in finals and beating the top players.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 07:57:55 AM »
^^this.  I'll add that there are a few other players just as capable as well.  Who will win the final depends on who is executing their best game on the last day.

A major is also about pacing oneself throughout 2 weeks of the tournament.  Not spending more energy earlier than needed, and doing enough to win when necessary.  Not only physically but mentally as well. We've seen all players play an emotional draining match that costs them later.

But obviously, one has to be ready to peak at the business end against the best players.  The difficulty with lower seeds and unseeded players winning a major is that they have to peak early, middle and late.  It's very, very, difficult to play at your best level for 7 matches in 14 days.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »
this is the chance.......us open 2012.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 06:37:47 PM »
yes he can  :)

not so sure about this year UO , he needs to play djoper in semis and then Fed (or somebody else) in final in order to win.

Offline Marcoo

• New Poster
    • All tennis and table tennis live scores and news
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »
sure, he just needs to have one lucky tournament and a good preparation. Right now everything seems to be for Federer, Djokovic and Nadal but if Murray has just this one lucky moment, he will win something ;)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 06:19:56 PM »
He has to try harder, time is running out. winning the Olympics was great but we all know that all it matters in tennis are slams. I'm pretty disappointed that Murray didn't show at Toronto and did so bad at Cinci. I feel that he kinda lost his momentum after the Olympics. I'm afraid that he won't deliver at the USO either  :\.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 07:41:29 PM »
He has to try harder, time is running out. winning the Olympics was great but we all know that all it matters in tennis are slams. I'm pretty disappointed that Murray didn't show at Toronto and did so bad at Cinci. I feel that he kinda lost his momentum after the Olympics. I'm afraid that he won't deliver at the USO either  :\ .

Well the good news for Murray is that, for the immediate, one of the top 3 is out.  Could help him.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline MasterNadal

• New Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 08:32:55 AM »
I sure hope he does one day.