Author Topic: ATP - Toronto Masters - 6-12 August 2012  (Read 7192 times)

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
Re: ATP - Toronto Masters - 6-12 August 2012
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 03:10:08 AM »
Novak Djokovic willing to play through the rain in Toronto using plastic coated balls.

Seriously though.  Why doesn't Toronto have an alternative indoor venue available?  Now they will be going to 2 or max 3 matches per day for each player? It's especially hard on the players that competed deep into the Olympics, risking injury. What are they going to do if it rains all day 1 more day? Organizers need to take proactive action to continue an already depleted tournament without further risk to the players.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2012, 04:04:05 AM »
What a drama for the organizers and the ticket holders.
Murray, Federer, Nadal out. Early exits of crowd favorite Tsonga and bronze medalist Del Potro. Continuous rain.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2012, 05:18:50 AM »
No, no, no.  Rafa, Fed, and Murray have all gifted this Masters 1000 to Djokovic.  So I ask the 'gift experts' - only one person can win a tournament, but can more than one *gift* it??  And if not, who gets credit for gifting this one???

:rofl_2:   Oh! The joys of  speculation!   The undisputed Lord of free gifts has to be Nadal. He gave away Wimbledon, the Olympics Gold & the Rogers Cup. No one can match that.

Frivolity aside, I would expect Djokovic to make the most of his chances here.  ORACLE -  Spot on. It is the field he plays, not the field that isn't there!!  And it would be a boost to him to defend the title & avoid losing points.  And actually, some of the remaining players are capable of playing well enough to give any of the top 4 something to think about. 
I find comments about "cake walk / easy draw" as irritating as those about "gifting away matches."     
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:24:13 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2012, 05:39:22 AM »
 :rofl_2: MC, thanks for that pic. Nole and his umbrella (Rihanna says hi  :rofl_2:). Feel bad for Toronto organizers ... all they have left is Djokovic and he is everywhere. TV, commercials, interviews ... they showed his match vs. Tomic twice today on TSN. Canadians really care about RC so much ... kinda feel bad that everybody else left the party. still, I want to be positive ... let's go Nole let's go.

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2012, 06:08:11 AM »
It would be nice if Nole could win this and regain his mojo. Would make the narrative leading to the USO even more intriguing.
Oracle, as far as I'm concerned, without Roger, Nadal and Murray, even if he won it's not too much fun and it's boring  :mad1:.

But a win here would be nice. He hasn't won a title since Miami. A win here would help him gain some much needed momentum and confidence, and probably help him do well at Cincy and USO as well.

The absence of the rest of the Top 4 is not Nole's problem.

I doubt this. Djokovic lost 3 big matches in a row to resp. Nadal at RG, Federer at WB, and Murray at the OS.
He needs a win against a big player in a big tournament to boost his confidence.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »
With this tournament -  who knows what will happen.  Usually when a tournament starts with "unusual" things happening....they continue and we have a 'surprise' winner.  With the top players coming right off the Olympics - this tournament was set up to have what has happen - happen! :rofl_2:  In a normal year  - this is really a great tournament.  But in this year - this tournament was almost set up to 'fail' to produce with 'big name' players.  Sure, it's Novak's to lose, but who knows what will happen the way it's being going.  It opens the door for 'lower-ranked' players to come out and for us to have a 'surprise' winner.  However, as long as Novak is still in the tournament - it is his to win! 

Hopefully the rain will hold off and they can actually get back on schedule.

I also read somewhere where Murray said he wasn't even sure about next week in Cincy.  Nadal is already out of Cincy.  So...these tournaments leading up to the US Open are already talking a hit.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
Berdych is already down a set and a break to Gasquet.

Fish lost the first set 6-2 to Monaco

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »
I also posted this in the Cincy thread:

Tsonga in car accident, pulls out of Cincy
Ticker - Friday, August 10, 2012

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga was involved in a traffic accident in Toronto that has forced him to pull out of next week's event in Cincinnati, the French journalist Eric Salliot reports. Tsonga received several stiches in his knee. The sixth-ranked Tsonga's participation at the U.S. Open does not appear to be in doubt. The Open starts on August 27.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2012, 03:12:10 AM »
good win for Nole but Tommy was a rough test. It wasn't easy for both players because they had to play 2 matches today. However, I completely enjoy their match, high quality tennis under the circumstances.

I'm so happy for Gasquet too. it was an ugly match but Richie prevailed.

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2012, 05:53:34 AM »
I would say Nadal????? LOOOOOL, I mean, isn't Nadal the one who is gifting away GSs, tournaments and what not??? This has to be his to gift away then... Don't you think Free???? :)

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

Can't argue with that "logic"!  LOL!!!  After all Rafa dropped out first, so he is the original and true gifter!!!

Exactly!!! if one were to think about Toronto Masters 1000, they would say: "Yeah, but Nadal was one of the first to drop out, others just followed, so it's his"... LOOL

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2012, 06:19:42 AM »
these tournaments are all insignificant gifts.......true gifts are slams.......besides that anybody can beat a big player in a best of 3 sets format, so technically these tournaments can't fully qualify for being gifts........olympics has a best of 5 sets format in the final and a huge history which inspires patriotic players like rafa, so it was technically a gift in nadal's case and not so much in others case........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2012, 10:10:01 AM »
Hope Richie can win today. But it looks unlikely, TBH.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »
good win for Nole but Tommy was a rough test. It wasn't easy for both players because they had to play 2 matches today. However, I completely enjoy their match, high quality tennis under the circumstances.

Good to hear it was good quality match.
I just got home from camping so it might take some time before I see that match.
Also, good win, I'm sure Alex is happy  ;-()
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:06:48 PM by Lugburz »
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2012, 05:27:37 PM »

Good to hear it was good quality match.
I just got home from camping so it might take some time before I see that match.
Also, good win, I'm sure Alex is happy  ;-()
sure Lug, I'm happy that Nole won, but you can be really proud of 34yo veteran taking a set from Nole and playing on fire. very good performance by Haas.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »
general lugburz must be back from his camping trip.

anyway great tournament for gasquet. making the final is a good result.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »
I feel sorry for the RC organisers but especially so for the players.  The Djokovic semi delayed by rain, just as he & Tipsarevic were warming up. Not fun.

There have been good moments too. I agree that the Djokovic /  Haas match was excellent & Haas discharged himself honourably. He is playing so well again. 

And Gasquet is a pleasure to watch when playing well.   Well done to him to get to the final.

Carpe Diem

Offline mtt

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2012, 06:22:31 PM »
Gasquet beats Kukushkin, then Berdych, Fish, and Isner, to make it ot the final... WTF ?

Will faec Djoko or Tipsy in the final ...

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2012, 07:12:59 PM »
yeah I'm back herc, it was awesome as always  ;-()

Yeah Alex, I'm very proud and happy for him. Sad I had to miss live action of that match but oh well  :)~ gonna watch it tomorrow on you tube I guess  ..-)
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2012, 12:00:27 AM »
Nole vs Richie final.  :)
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2012, 03:03:57 AM »
i hate it when it rains in the states & surrounding countries..the time difference here is so big ( from 7.5 to 9.5 hrs), i get up at around 2-3 am to watch these matches only to watch the stupid rains. :mad1:
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.