Author Topic: ATP - Toronto Masters - 6-12 August 2012  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: ATP - Toronto Masters - 6-12 August 2012
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
bloody rain in Toronto. the whole tournament might get completely messed up. heavy rain tomorrow too.  :mad1:. it's hot in Calgary, bring RC to Calgary  :)) :whistle:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
ATP - Toronto Masters - 6-12 August 2012
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »
Alex, I knew Novak would have no problems with Tomic! I said it before their match!

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/tennisnewstpn

Andy Murray has called an immediate press conference. More coming soon.

BREAKING: Andy Murray withdraws from the Toronto #RogersCup

Murray cites a knee injury. Decided this morning. Did some work with physios but still feeling sore

Murray said yesterday the joints were sore, and take more of a beating on hard courts. Will have his physio with him in Cincy.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »
Alex, I knew Novak would have no problems with Tomic! I said it before their match!
I didn't really think Nole would have any problems with Tomic as he is an elite player. What I was concerned is that he had only few days off between the Olympics and RC ...

gee, I can't believe Murray is out ... Toronto is turning into a complete nightmare. RC is my favorite tournament. now watch Djokovic tank his match with Querrey. :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:52:07 PM by Alex »

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »
It would be nice if Nole could win this and regain his mojo. Would make the narrative leading to the USO even more intriguing.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2012, 02:18:16 PM »
It would be nice if Nole could win this and regain his mojo. Would make the narrative leading to the USO even more intriguing.
Oracle, as far as I'm concerned, without Roger, Nadal and Murray, even if he won it's not too much fun and it's boring  :mad1:.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2012, 04:31:43 PM »
Oracle, as far as I'm concerned, without Roger, Nadal and Murray, even if he won it's not too much fun and it's boring  :mad1:.

But a win here would be nice. He hasn't won a title since Miami. A win here would help him gain some much needed momentum and confidence, and probably help him do well at Cincy and USO as well.

The absence of the rest of the Top 4 is not Nole's problem.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:33:26 PM by oracle86 »

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2012, 06:52:06 PM »

But a win here would be nice. He hasn't won a title since Miami. A win here would help him gain some much needed momentum and confidence, and probably help him do well at Cincy and USO as well.

No, no, no.  Rafa, Fed, and Murray have all gifted this Masters 1000 to Djokovic.  So I ask the 'gift experts' - only one person can win a tournament, but can more than one *gift* it??  And if not, who gets credit for gifting this one???
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 06:56:58 PM »
Novak should have NO problem with Tomic.  I don't see what the big deal is about him (Tomic) anyway... He hasn't shown me anything.

Pretty easy to answer this one.  Tomic's game is silky smooth, he has great hands and good court sense.  His strokes look near-effortless.  Just because a player isn't an all-time great or wasn't born in the right country, doesn't mean his game can't be appreciated.
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »
still raining in Toronto. it looks like we might not see any tennis today nor tomorrow. I'm not sure how they are going to complete the tournament. I mean some players will have to play 2 matches per day and that's going to be hard on their bodies. Cinci is starting next Monday already.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2012, 06:58:50 PM »

Impressive!  Sounds just like some other posters who know things before they happen!  Neat to see that you approve.

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »
I would say Nadal????? LOOOOOL, I mean, isn't Nadal the one who is gifting away GSs, tournaments and what not??? This has to be his to gift away then... Don't you think Free???? :)

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2012, 07:11:01 PM »
Novak should have NO problem with Tomic.  I don't see what the big deal is about him (Tomic) anyway... He hasn't shown me anything.

Pretty easy to answer this one.  Tomic's game is silky smooth, he has great hands and good court sense.  His strokes look near-effortless.  Just because a player isn't an all-time great or wasn't born in the right country, doesn't mean his game can't be appreciated.
Tomic does have good hands but his serve needs to improve a lot. Also, his movement is not great. He is too slow. They are just showing the Nole vs. Tomic on TSN again. Djokovic was attacking, Tomic defending at after 2:2 in the first set Nole blew him off the court. It wasn't even a contest.  Also, Tomic's BH is weak. Nole was just killing him by attacking his BH.

Djokovic looks really good. I was super happy with his performance.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:56:28 PM by Alex »

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
I would say Nadal????? LOOOOOL, I mean, isn't Nadal the one who is gifting away GSs, tournaments and what not??? This has to be his to gift away then... Don't you think Free???? :)

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

Can't argue with that "logic"!  LOL!!!  After all Rafa dropped out first, so he is the original and true gifter!!!

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »

Tomic does have good hands but his serve needs to improve a lot. Also, his movement is not great. He is too slow. They are just showing the Nole vs. Tomic on TSN again. Djokovic was attacking, Tomic defending at after 2:2 in the first set Nole blew him off the court. It wasn't even a contest.  Also, Tomic's BH is weak. Nole was just killing him by attacking his BH.

Hi Alex, yup, I agree that Tomic's game has weaknesses.  And he got smoked-by Djokovic in his prime, a guy likely to be considered an all-time great pretty soon.  Same thing happened to Murray and Fed in their early days, several times.  Not saying Tomic will end up in the top 5, just saying that he has some skills that few others have.  How about that slice backhand?  Saw some of the replay tonight myself :)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »

Hi Alex, yup, I agree that Tomic's game has weaknesses.  And he got smoked-by Djokovic in his prime, a guy likely to be considered an all-time great pretty soon.  Same thing happened to Murray and Fed in their early days, several times.  Not saying Tomic will end up in the top 5, just saying that he has some skills that few others have.  How about that slice backhand?  Saw some of the replay tonight myself :)

That slice doesn't help Tomic much, he uses it too much.
Once in awhile is OK.

Not sure about this guy, he is still young and should get better.
So hard to tell though, sometimes the progress just stops.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
It looks like players will have two matches tomorrow to catch up.
Rain is predicted for tomorrow though too so we'll see.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/scores/schedule.aspx?year=2012&eventid=421

Online FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2012, 11:12:08 PM »
Give the title to Nole already, there's nobody left to challenge him except maybe Haas.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 02:07:38 AM »

No, no, no.  Rafa, Fed, and Murray have all gifted this Masters 1000 to Djokovic.  So I ask the 'gift experts' - only one person can win a tournament, but can more than one *gift* it??  And if not, who gets credit for gifting this one???

I've never understood the concept of "gifting" or "donating" in tennis. There is no need for an asterisk just because someone isn't playing.

As I've said earlier, the withdrawal of Roger, Rafa and Andy isn't Novak's fault. It is Roger's, Rafa's and Andy's fault.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 02:31:41 AM »

That slice doesn't help Tomic much, he uses it too much.
Once in awhile is OK.

Not sure about this guy, he is still young and should get better.
So hard to tell though, sometimes the progress just stops.
It has something to do to his movement and footwork.

If Federer uses slice to buying time, creating opporunity or throw difficult shots to his opponents, then Tomic uses slice to buying time and eventually wasting his advantages. His movement and footwork is poor. He is 196 cm (6'5") tall guy. He hit the ball almost like he tries to catch it because he is always not in the proper position to hit groudtroke. Because he has lack of movement, his tennis become like passive slice king. The only solution to him is to improve his movement and footwork. It has been told many times by australian trainers, tennis writer in these years. But there is nothing break through at the moment. 

His serve for me is mystery. Who taught him this serve? It is wasting his height.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:47:31 AM by williamchung7 »