Author Topic: 2012 (Men) US Open - 8/27 - 9/9: The City That Never Sleeps Discussion  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
Re: 2012 (Men) US Open - 8/27 - 9/9: The City That Never Sleeps Discussion
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »

...............For example, I thought the Del Potro - Federer Olympic semifinal match was great tennis.  It was mostly played by both players at a very high level.   Winners far exceeded unforced errors, even when both players were tiring.   It was really a shame that the match was not for the gold.

If we get some great tennis matches in the US Open, especially at the end, then I'll be happy. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Agreeing to disagree is fine by me & it would be a mind numbingly boring if we all agreed at all times!   :)   Mind you, there is little danger of that here on this board!!  Which is as it should be.

The above quote from your comment resonates like a fine tuning fork with me!  Del Potro & Federer gave a great performance & the tennis was indeed of the highest quality at times.  This above all, is what matters. 
Lets hope the field at the USO includes lots of hopefuls feeling good about their game.  I rather like the thought of the top 4 scratching their heads & being made to work!   :)
Carpe Diem

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 06:36:25 PM »
i dont think toronto and cincy will give us as much of an indication as people think. murray took cincy last year and what happened. he could not even deal with out of form clay warrior in the semis at the open. and it is nadal`s worst surface by far.

fed and nadal are not even playing in toronto. the slam is a different beast. top guns usually find a way to get into the right form by the time they hit the quaters and the semis.

it is also a lot harder to beat the top guns in best of 5 sets foremats.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 04:34:46 AM »
Murray has just beat a top gun in Fed over 5 sets,by the way Hurc he also beat Nadal over 5 sets in the past.Some have said it's going to be real hot this year,Murray is one that can play in the heat.But if Nole gets day time matches i still question him.The night matches will help the top guns & who wins.What Murray needs to do is not win this Slam,but work hard to get into the top 2 in rankings.When he does this the Slams will come & so will the night matches.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 05:12:45 AM »
Interesting thoughts Sid.

I think Andy (not Roddick) is on the cusp.
If he continues to work hard and is committed to reaching the summit then I think he will.  He certainly has the physical skills.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 06:51:59 PM »
Murray has just beat a top gun in Fed over 5 sets,by the way Hurc he also beat Nadal over 5 sets in the past.Some have said it's going to be real hot this year,Murray is one that can play in the heat.But if Nole gets day time matches i still question him.The night matches will help the top guns & who wins.What Murray needs to do is not win this Slam,but work hard to get into the top 2 in rankings.When he does this the Slams will come & so will the night matches.

Murray better look out for Fed, Fed's resting now and enjoying being 31 years old.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 07:42:28 PM »
lets just say that murray took a step in the right direction.

dealing with the likes of nole and fed on hard courts is something we are going to have to see in the coming days. getting by both of them is a tough proposition.
now can you imagine healthy and fit nadal in the mix? it gets even harder.

murray`s chances do go up slightly with no clay warrior around to torment him.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
2012 (Men) US Open - 8/27 - 9/9: The City That Never Sleeps Discussion
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 09:04:48 PM »
The problem with Murray is - you SAY he is in great shape, but when he starts losing, he will grab the back, or hip, or leg, or side. Don't know if those things really are bothering him - or it's just a nervous habit? But in that Wimbledon final, Murray looked more tired than Roger. And I can guarantee you that between Federer, Nadal, Novak, and ANY American - they would probably get the nod for a night match at the US Open over Murray.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 05:26:17 AM »
Those are some interesting thoughts Dallas.
I can recall in years past, Andy (not Roddick) playing like a lame duck when momentum wasn't in his favor.  Am hoping that was a mental cover up and that his recent success will give him courage to fight hard and accept no excuses.

Re: the night matches- unfortunately I think you are right. :(
Such is the nature of the sports/entertainment industry.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »

2. Federer. Even though he has lost the last 3 years at the Open, Federer is always dangerous on this quick surface. Plus, his serve has been tremendous as of late (except during the Olympics final).

Correction: Even though he has lost the last two years after having match points, against The Serbian Slayer of Slayers, Novak Djokovic.

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »
Owner of the Holy Temple of the The Serbian Ruler of Gods among the Slayers of Slayers with Inheritable Superpowers within the Realm of the Goddiest and Deadliest Ballistic Tennis Strokers of the Entire Universe. Novak Djokovic.

Boom, just like that.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 05:04:13 PM »
so what are you really trying to say? :))

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
fed and nole`s chances at the u.s. open skyrocket if the other top guns keep pulling up lame.
i dont see how the clay warrior can make anything happen at the current rate. he may even be forced to skip the event.
murray`s knee is questionable as well at the moment. he may end up skipping cincy.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »
fed and nole`s chances at the u.s. open skyrocket if the other top guns keep pulling up lame.
i dont see how the clay warrior can make anything happen at the current rate. he may even be forced to skip the event.
murray`s knee is questionable as well at the moment. he may end up skipping cincy.

Doesn't seem like Rafa is going to get much warmup for the USO, so he could be vulnerable in the early rounds.  I think if he gets past the first few rounds and gets his timing, he could be back to good form late in the tournament.  That's assuming he's healthy too.
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »
The problem with Murray is - you SAY he is in great shape, but when he starts losing, he will grab the back, or hip, or leg, or side. Don't know if those things really are bothering him - or it's just a nervous habit? But in that Wimbledon final, Murray looked more tired than Roger. And I can guarantee you that between Federer, Nadal, Novak, and ANY American - they would probably get the nod for a night match at the US Open over Murray.

Does seem like Murray looks for an excuse when things aren't going his way.  Nole does this too - He was constantly looking at the court in the Wimby SF, as if it were responsible for his footing woes.  Disagree that Murray looked tired at all in the Wimby final.  He started to look defeated toward the end, but not tired.  IMO.
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 12:49:18 AM »
Freebird i wonder if clay warrior learned that signature move of his from james scott connors the belville basher.

connors is seen doing that move in your avi. i understand that connors is quite fond of the clay warrior from what i have heard.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 11:56:32 AM »

Does seem like Murray looks for an excuse when things aren't going his way.  Nole does this too - He was constantly looking at the court in the Wimby SF, as if it were responsible for his footing woes.  Disagree that Murray looked tired at all in the Wimby final.  He started to look defeated toward the end, but not tired.  IMO.

OK...maybe "tired" wasn't the word, but he was stretching his legs like he was getting cramps... so...that implies something about fitness to me.  I have watched this tape about 3 times, and Murray was definitely starting to 'cramp' towards the end of that Wimbledon final.  In fact, the announcers joked and said "now who's the 30 year old again"? after looking at Murray.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 01:35:50 PM »
Roger is probably going to win it over Novak in the final.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 11:02:24 AM »
Freebird i wonder if clay warrior learned that signature move of his from james scott connors the belville basher.

connors is seen doing that move in your avi. i understand that connors is quite fond of the clay warrior from what i have heard.

rafa's signature move is not that, hercules........it is in my avatar if you have forgotten........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 11:03:23 AM »
surely nadal and murray are not going to be in the same half........we might finally have nadal and fed play each other at the us open........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »
surely nadal and murray are not going to be in the same half........we might finally have nadal and fed play each other at the us open........

Irrelevant, Nadal won't get to the semis.
Then we will fight in the shade.