Author Topic: 2012 (Men) US Open - 8/27 - 9/9: The City That Never Sleeps Discussion  (Read 5209 times)

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
2012 (Men) US Open - 8/27 - 9/9: The City That Never Sleeps Discussion
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »
surely nadal and murray are not going to be in the same half........we might finally have nadal and fed play each other at the us open........

Irrelevant, Nadal won't get to the semis.

Would love it if it happened though.  Always interesting to see Fed get tested by Rafa.  And after all, Rafa fans have a convenient injury/rustiness excuse if he can't get it done.
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Re: 2012 (Men) US Open - 8/27 - 9/9: The City That Never Sleeps Discussion
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »
surely nadal and murray are not going to be in the same half........we might finally have nadal and fed play each other at the us open........

Irrelevant, Nadal won't get to the semis.

and you will fly......   :hysterical:
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2012, 10:15:20 AM »
I'd love to see a Fed/D-Pot semi.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2012, 02:45:56 PM »
I see Haas hasn't been mentioned as potential threat, so I feel obligated to do so  ..-)
Here's why... If I'm not mistaken top24 seeds can't pick anyone from top4-5 until 4th Round. (correct me if I'm wrong)

So, Tommy is currently #23, and if my assumption is correct about the seeds, he can't be ruled out, especially after magnificent form recently.
Having no top guns before 4th round, means that besides top4, Tommy can beat anyone and cause some serious damage later on.

For the rest of 'my boys' I give best chance to Gasquet, who's also in good form.

Kohli will be dangerous as usual.

Wawri needs to focus more, while Berdych must take his brain with him if he wants to prove his ranking.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
Would love it if it happened though.  Always interesting to see Fed get tested by Rafa.  And after all, Rafa fans have a convenient injury/rustiness excuse if he can't get it done.
:rofl_2:   

I agree re: Federer / Nadal playing each other.  Nice juxtaposition of styles & demeanour when they play.   

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:35:05 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »
I think Federer will be difficult to beat this time around.  Of course we have to see how the draw looks, but most of the players on faster hard court that can hurt Federer are not in that good form right now, except Murray, and potentially Del Potro.

For anyone who doesn't know, Roger Federer is the King of Hard Courts in the Open Era.  He has 51 of his current 75 titles on hard courts, more than Agassi's 46, Title King (109) Connors, with 44, and Pete Sampras with 36, and Lendl with 31.  He owns the highest winning percentage at the US Open with just under 90% and won 5 consecutive titles there from 2004-2008 along with a final and 2 semifinals.

Now some might say this is all in the past, and he hasn't won an Open since 2008, which is true.  He was beaten by Del Potro in 2009 in the final and by Djokovic in 2010-2011 in the semis.  And if he were playing like he was during that time, I might have to say his chances to win it all would only be good.  But since the last US Open, he has been the best player overall, has just won Wimbledon and is back to World #1.  So his chances have to be rated excellent in my opinion.  If he makes it to the final,  Federer will be going for a record 6th US Open title.  Still, one cannot discount some of the others that have also done well from 2009-2012.  So we shall just have to see how their form shapes up. 

Trivia: Who else has won the US Open at age 31 or higher?
Connors (1983) - 31 y 0 m. 9 days
Sampras (2002) - 31 y 0 m. 27 days
Laver (1969) - 31 y, 1 m.  0 days
Rosewall (1970) - 35 y 10 m. 11 days

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »
I'd love to see a Fed/D-Pot semi.

They can only meet in the finals m8.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2012, 07:07:27 PM »
I think Federer will be difficult to beat this time around.  Of course we have to see how the draw looks, but most of the players on faster hard court that can hurt Federer are not in that good form right now, except Murray, and potentially Del Potro.

For anyone who doesn't know, Roger Federer is the King of Hard Courts in the Open Era.  He has 51 of his current 75 titles on hard courts, more than Agassi's 46, Title King (109) Connors, with 44, and Pete Sampras with 36, and Lendl with 31.  He owns the highest winning percentage at the US Open with just under 90% and won 5 consecutive titles there from 2004-2008 along with a final and 2 semifinals.

Now some might say this is all in the past, and he hasn't won an Open since 2008, which is true.  He was beaten by Del Potro in 2009 in the final and by Djokovic in 2010-2011 in the semis.  And if he were playing like he was during that time, I might have to say his chances to win it all would only be good.  But since the last US Open, he has been the best player overall, has just won Wimbledon and is back to World #1.  So his chances have to be rated excellent in my opinion.  If he makes it to the final,  Federer will be going for a record 6th US Open title.  Still, one cannot discount some of the others that have also done well from 2009-2012.  So we shall just have to see how their form shapes up. 

Trivia: Who else has won the US Open at age 31 or higher?
Connors (1983) - 31 y 0 m. 9 days
Sampras (2002) - 31 y 0 m. 27 days
Laver (1969) - 31 y, 1 m.  0 days
Rosewall (1970) - 35 y 10 m. 11 days

Respectfully,
masterclass

great post general. i think all those points are valid and real.

in addition, we have already established that fed and nole`s chances skyrocket with all the others not producing their best tennis or worse, not even showing up.

berdy is done. soderling is done.  tsonga is not consistent enough.

only d-pot poses a little bit of threat.

clay warrior is done for the year.
i just heard today that the idiot is practicing on hard courts. well he deserves to be done then.

murray has a slight knee issue but his biggest issue is the lack of a forehand that has finishing power.

getting past fed and nole is a very tall order for him. we will see if he can navigate that huge challenge. obviously not having clay warrior to deal with helps him.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »
hercules, don't underestimate rafa.......everyone will written him off for the us open and that is exactly what he wants as well.......missing toronto and cincinnatti is just a strategic skip.......he loses nothing by skipping those events and it also gives him time to recover 100%........

nadal is the favourite for 2012 us open men's singles title.......you all have heard it here first.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
hercules, don't underestimate rafa.......everyone will written him off for the us open and that is exactly what he wants as well.......missing toronto and cincinnatti is just a strategic skip.......he loses nothing by skipping those events and it also gives him time to recover 100%........

nadal is the favourite for 2012 us open men's singles title.......you all have heard it here first.......
...as long as they don't close the roof! ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »
i think clay warrior is trying to make sure he doesnt wreck his knees further by skipping the u.s. open which might happen.

this way he has a chance for davis cup at least. that might be what he is angling for.

we will know soon enough. i dont think he is going to flushing meadows.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2012, 11:09:55 PM »

Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 04:12:06 AM »
good to see your pic finally........you are just like how i imagined........middle age, balding etc.......

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 07:11:27 AM »

in addition, we have already established that fed and nole`s chances skyrocket with all the others not producing their best tennis or worse, not even showing up...........

I'm not sure what this means, HERCULES.  Are you saying that only Federer /  Djokovic's chances improve if others stay away or aren't playing well or that the chances for all players improve if their opponents are off form or absent, including Federer / Djokovic.

If the former, I disagree that this scenario holds true only for Federer / Djokovic.  Everyone in the draw benefits. If the latter, then there is no argument, as it is self evident.

In relation to Nadal, if anyone can come back from injury and have the determination to get deep into a tournament, it is he.  A significant aspect of his ability is that iron will of his. This recurrent injury can't be easy for him, but he has exceptional self belief.

MASTERCLASS - Your analysis on Federer's likely chances is an interesting read.   One factor with Federer now is his inconsistency. He can blow hot & cold in a match for seemingly indecipherable reasons.  Against a "lesser" player, it causes less problems but any of the top players could easily capitalise.   This was all too evident against Djokovic at last years USO. By all accounts, Federer played outstanding tennis. Yet he lost from a winning position.    I agree that he is a better player since that loss, having improved his game & playing more consistently this year, but he still has his lapses of focus etc.   In my analysis, if he can play to his strengths, stay relaxed & focused, he has a great chance of winning the USO. If his focus & serenity goes, so will his game, resulting in defensive play, devoid of a game plan & he'll struggle.   

Djokovic looks good.  I liked his game in Toronto & he seems confident & up for the challenge.   And Murray is primed for a win too. If confidence was a problem before, one would expect it to be much improed now.
This years US seems more exciting than for a while. With each of the top 4 players having won something substantial this year so far, it realy could be anyone's title.    Who knows, Rosol might decide to show up in a winning mood!   :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:27:32 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline mtt

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »

This is hilarious....

The #3 ranked player, supposedly a contender for #1 or #2, ultimate-go-for-every-shot-never-give-up-warrior skips two masters 1000 events as a strategic move ????

You're loosing it, seriously

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
its fed, nole, and murray.

and they will all need a little bit of luck. its just that simple folks. your winner is coming from this group.

others are simply not good enough.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
its fed, nole, and murray.

and they will all need a little bit of luck. its just that simple folks. your winner is coming from this group.

others are simply not good enough.

Hurc if Nadal does not play then who misses playing Murray should have the best chance @ USO.If all the top 4 are in then it's more open,only Potty can crash the top 4 & maybe win.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 10:42:44 AM »
It's official - Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the US. Open

"I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play ad have to withdraw from this year's US Open in NYC. I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions. I want to say hi and thanks to all the fans in particular to the new yorkers. I'll miss you all this year at the Open!" - http://www.facebook.com/Nadal

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »
Rafa just tweeted this:

@RafaelNadal
I am very sad to announce that I am not ready to play the US Open in NY. Thanks to my fans for their support and specially, the new yorkers.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
this is the chance for murray........he needs to capitalize now........there is no roof over arthur ashe so federer has no chance even if it rains........and djokovic looks beatable........