Author Topic: Western & Southern Open  (Read 13311 times)

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
Re: Western & Southern Open
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2012, 02:41:30 PM »
Now Murray needs to reach the US Open final to overtake Rafa as #3 in the world.

Loses 910 points from Cincy.

Awesome avatar and signature, EnriqueIG8:cool:
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline EnriqueIG8

• Tennis God
  • Tots Units Fem Força
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2012, 02:46:46 PM »
Now Murray needs to reach the US Open final to overtake Rafa as #3 in the world.

Loses 910 points from Cincy.

Thanks mate! So you also like Game of Thrones and The Dark Knight Rises? ;) Awesome taste if you do.

My name is Javier by the way, nice to meet you.

EDIT: Just saw that this forum also shows if you are a male or female so obviously you are not a "mate" but a lady :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:47:23 PM by EnriqueIG8 »
Fill In The Draw @ T4U
Ranking: #1 (High: #1)
Titles: 7 [Australian Open, Auckland, Zagreb, San Jose, Marseille, Delray Beach & MS Monte Carlo]

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2012, 02:48:21 PM »
Tomic's serve is still mystery for me. Is he going to get bigger serve?

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »

Thanks mate! So you also like Game of Thrones and The Dark Knight Rises? ;) Awesome taste if you do.

EDIT: Just saw that this forum also shows if you are a male or female so obviously you are not a "mate" but a lady :)

Hey there Javier, nice to meet you too. Welcome to the forums here.  :)

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Christopher Nolan and George R R Martin [the author of the fantasy series A Song Of Ice And Fire, which is being adapted by HBO as Game of Thrones]. 
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline EnriqueIG8

• Tennis God
  • Tots Units Fem Força
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Christopher Nolan and George R R Martin [the author of the fantasy series A Song Of Ice And Fire, which is being adapted by HBO as Game of Thrones].

And your name is, Oracle? :D I just read your introduction, I posted mine over there as well.

So now we have 3 similarities; we both love Fed, like Nolan's movies (Memento, Prestige, Inception were awesome as well) and we both like A Song of Ice and Fire ;)
Fill In The Draw @ T4U
Ranking: #1 (High: #1)
Titles: 7 [Australian Open, Auckland, Zagreb, San Jose, Marseille, Delray Beach & MS Monte Carlo]

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Western & Southern Open
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »
Roger gets through. I still don't see what the hype is for Tomic. Like the announcers said - he plays defensive tennis - but he's slow - and that is NOT a great combination. Anyway - glad that Roger, Serena, and Venus got through today. It has been a great tournament for me so far.

Stan is playing right now.

I also think Roger may have a little trouble with Fish tomorrow - but I hope he can come through. Go Roger!!!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:36:23 PM by Dallas »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »

I mostly followed the plan of just staying at Center Court today.

The Fish - Stepanek was a good one and much closer than the score 6-3,6-3 indicates. The first set proceeded on serve until about 4 -3 when Fish got the break. The second set was also close. Good to see Mardy Fish playing well again. Now he has to face Federer. He took a set off Fed in the final two years ago. I thought the difference between the two came mostly from net play.

Then I decided to forage for food and looked in on Del Potro - Troicki. I was surprised that Troicki was doing so well, even though he folded in the third set. All is explained in previous postings made by others today.

I finally got back to Serena's second set. Unlike most of the other ladies, she is still capable of really wacking the tennis ball.  Fun to watch but I would not like to get to close  :scared: .

I thought Federer's match against Tomic was much more interesting that last night's performance. Despite William's remark
Tomic's serve is still mystery for me. Is he going to get bigger serve?
I thought that Tomic was serving very well. Maybe not a monster serve, but powerful and accurate. If it had been impeccably consistent, he might have had a chance. It was better than Federer's but Tomic came nowhere near competing once the ball got into play. As the lady next to me said, "Federer must have been a ballet dancer in his previous incarnation". It was wonderful to watch. In short, I thought Tomic did very well considering and that he has a bright future if he can keep this up. The crowd was very pro-Federer. My own feeble attempt at flag-flying sounded more like one-hand clapping  :( .

It's been a good tournament so far. I've enjoyed the peripheral facilities. When the chap serving at the bar says " You were here last year, weren't you? " you know that you have become part of the landscape  ..-) .

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »
I'm watching Wawrinka / Nishikori  -  SW up a set 6-3.   I last saw these two live at the Olympics in their doubles match when Federer/Wawrinka won. Nishikori played with Go Soeda & they playeda good match.   Anyway, I digress.    KN would need to do something radical like win the second set, and I'm not sure he is up to it.     SW up a break in the second set & in control.

Dallas -  I couldn't watch the Federer / Tomic match. Seems to have been a straightforward affair.  I agree that Fish could more of a challenge. 

Chardy is obviously enjoying himself in this tournament!  Roddick, Istimin & now Murray in straights. Not a bad result to date from a "lucky loser" entrant.    If anyone saw his match today, I'd be interested to know more about how he managed to outplay Murray.  I'm sure AM would have prefered to defend his title, but doubt that he will lose sleep over this loss, regardless of the rankings.   

Del Potro made short work of Troicki in the end & perhaps his injury was a niggle rather than a flare-up. I hope so.  He plats Chardy next. 
Carpe Diem

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »

And your name is, Oracle? :D I just read your introduction, I posted mine over there as well.

So now we have 3 similarities; we both love Fed, like Nolan's movies (Memento, Prestige, Inception were awesome as well) and we both like A Song of Ice and Fire ;)

Javier, my name is Avantika.  :)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »
I'm happy Murray lost today,when he get's beat 99% he does better the next one,we all know what that is.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:17:26 PM by sid »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Western & Southern Open
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »
But he practically has NO hard court preparation for the US... And soooooo many people are predicting him to win the Open (more pressure on someone who has never won one). We will see. Maybe this lost didn't hurt him - but he sure lost a bunch of points. Two hard court tournaments since the Olympics....and not going past the 3rd round in ether! Interesting. But Sid knows Murray better than we do.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
I'm happy Murray lost today,when he get's beat 99% he does better the next one,we all know what that is.
I don't know Sid. I was pretty disappointed with Murray today, although I have to admit that Chardy played a great match. Missed the Roger/Tomic match but I guess didn't miss anything there  :whistle:. wondering if a good old Kolya can trouble Nole. guys, call me stupid, but I find the Cincy web site so usless. I can't even figure out the order of play. It must be just me  :rofl_2:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
davydenko forgot how to serve. this is horrible. Nole leads 5:0 already playing nothing special.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2012, 06:44:54 PM »
Nole 6:0 first set. it looks like Davydenko is trowing this match away. kinda embarrassing for the crowd. again, nothing special from Djokovic, he just does his usual stuff. Kolya just can't serve. I can't even remember how many DF he had. just awful.

great, Davidenko just retired with an unknown sort of injury  :\. I waited for this mess all day long. meh
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:51:47 PM by Alex »

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »
Raonic wins in 3 sets. 

Poor Davydenko. That was the most cringeworthy set I've seen for a while.   And he played well up to this point too. 

Tomorrows pairings will be:

Wawrinka / Raonic

Federer / Fish

Del Potro / Chardy

Djokovic / Cilic

Good tennis in all 4, hopefully.
Carpe Diem

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »
Davy retires, sore shoulder.  :dunno:

Roanic moves on over Berdych.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »
With Murray knocked out of Cincy and Rafa out of USO, the year end #1 will be a two horse race between Federer and Djokovic.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »
I took the night off and don't think I missed much. The thunder is just starting. They say the storm will be over tomorrow. Took advantage of the respite from tennis to finish a book a friend gave me Free Will by Sam Harris. It was a good read.

Tomorrow should be good. Already it looks to me like a Djokovic vs Fed final. I hope Nole does not retire after the first set again like he did last year.  :)>>>>

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2012, 06:29:51 AM »
Friday OOP

CENTRE COURT

11 a.m.
Juan Martin DEL POTRO (ARG)[6] vs [LL] Jeremy CHARDY (FRA)
Not before 1 p.m.
Marin CILIC (CRO) [12] vs Novak DJOKOVIC (SRB) [2]
Not before 3 p.m.
Angelique KERBER (GER) [5] vs Serena WILLIAMS (USA) [2]
Not before 7 p.m.
Roger FEDERER (SUI) [1] vs Mardy FISH (USA) [10]
Not before 8:30 p.m.
Caroline WOZNIACKI (DEN) [6] or Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA (RUS) [17] vs Petra KVITOVA (CZE) [4]

GRANDSTAND

11:30 a.m.
Caroline WOZNIACKI (DEN) [6] vs Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA (RUS) [17] To Finish 4-6
Not before 1 p.m.
Samantha STOSUR (AUS) [3] vs [WC] Venus WILLIAMS (USA)
Not before 3 p.m.
Stanislas WAWRINKA (SUI) vs Milos RAONIC (CAN)
Not before 7 p.m.
Agnieszka RADWANSKA (POL) [1] vs Na LI (CHN) [9] or [Q] Johanna LARSSON (SWE)

COURT 3

11:30 a.m.
Na LI (CHN) [9] vs [Q] Johanna LARSSON (SWE)
Not before 12:30 p.m.
[WC] Eleni DANIILIDOU (GRE)/Shuai PENG (CHN) vs Katarina SREBOTNIK (SLO)/Jie ZHENG (CHN) [8]
Mariusz FYRSTENBERG (POL)/Marcin MATKOWSKI (POL) [3] vs Mahesh BHUPATHI (IND)/Rohan BOPANNA (IND) [6]
Aisam-Ul-Haq QURESHI (PAK)/Jean-Julien ROJER (NED) [8] vs Bob BRYAN (USA)/Mike BRYAN (USA) [2]

C0URT 4

11 a.m.
Andreas SEPPI (ITA)/Viktor TROICKI (SRB) vs Ivan DODIG (CRO)/Marcelo MELO (BRA)
Marcel GRANOLLERS (ESP)/Marc LOPEZ (ESP) [7] vs Robert LINDSTEDT (SWE)/Horia TECAU (ROU) [4]
Not before 2 p.m.
[Alt] Darija JURAK (CRO)/Katalin MAROSI (HUN) vs Andrea HLAVACKOVA (CZE)/Lucie HRADECKA (CZE) [5]

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2012, 08:40:06 AM »
The only one I'm not sure about in the men's is Wawrinka and Roanic.