Author Topic: Western & Southern Open  (Read 12167 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Western & Southern Open
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2012, 08:52:01 AM »
After seeing Serena barely move in her match the other day - seems like she was doing everything in her power to "lose" - but she ended up winning that one -- well, I knew she was probably going to be in a battle in her next match (the one she lost). She has been playing a lot of tennis lately so like Murray - maybe its good that she went out and now can concentrate on the Open and Venus, who remains in the tournament.

Venus does not match up well with Li Na so I just hope she can get by.

Of course I hope Roger gets by Stan, even though I like Stan too.

On the Novak/Del Po match....that's a tough one to call. Novak has to be a little tired, DelPo is nursing a sore wrist...to me it might be a toss up to pick but I think Novak might take it. But I'm really not sure how this one will come out. Should be interesting.

More on the women's match later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:53:24 AM by Dallas »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Western & Southern Open
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
After seeing Serena barely move in her match the other day - seems like she was doing everything in her power to "lose" - but she ended up winning that one -- well, I knew she was probably going to be in a battle in her next match (the one she lost). She has been playing a lot of tennis lately so like Murray - maybe its good that she went out and now can concentrate on the Open and Venus, who remains in the tournament.

Venus does not match up well with Li Na so I just hope she can get by.

Of course I hope Roger gets by Stan, even though I like Stan too.

On the Novak/Del Po match....that's a tough one to call. Novak has to be a little tired, DelPo is nursing a sore wrist...to me it might be a toss up to pick but I think Novak might take it. But I'm really not sure how this one will come out. Should be interesting.

More on the women's match later.

Nole's last two matches were a walk in the park, he will be plenty fresh.  Either that or I am in better shape than he is, and I am not in good shape right now...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »
Well done to Djokovic to get through to his second consecutive final. I saw the second set & he was impressive against a somewhat subdued Del Potro. 

I'm watching the second SF.  SW is putting up a good challenge, and Federer sloppy at times. Plenty of double faults from him too.   About to get broken for SW to go up 2-0.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 05:22:49 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »
Come on Djokovic!!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »
Well done to Djokovic to get through to his second consecutive final. I saw the second set & he was impressive against a somewhat subdued Del Potro. 

I'm watch the second SF.  Sw is putting up a good challenge, and Federer sloppy at times. Plenty of double faults from him too.   About to get broken for SW to go up 2-0.
well, at least he had to play a real man, unlike that other guy  :whistle: :)~ :)~ :)~ :)~ :)~ :)~

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Western & Southern Open
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »
So it's Novak vs Roger - neither man has been broken this entire week!!! With Rogers's win today, he will be the #1 seed at the US Open - no matter what happens tomorrow. I hoe Roger can win tomorrow though!!! Go Roger!!

And Go Venus tonight!!

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »

I'm watch the second SF.  Sw is putting up a good challenge, and Federer sloppy at times. Plenty of double faults from him too.   About to get broken for SW to go up 2-0.
well, at least he had to play a real man, unlike that other guy  :whistle: :)~ :)~ :)~ :)~ :)~ :)~

Oi !! :head-bash: :head-bash: :head-bash: :head-bash: :thumbs-up: :har-har: :)~
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2012, 05:19:19 PM »
If the Nole of the first match was playing the Fed of the second match today he would have won with no difficulty. Look at the RF stats, 5 df, 54% first serve %. But it doesn't work that way. I charitably believe that Fed was saving his best for tomorrow's final. If Nole plays the way he did today, it should be a great one.

Stan W. certainly played well but most of the time he had to contend only with Federer's B game. Fed upped it when necessary but it was nothing like the performance he gave against Mardy Fish last night.

Del Potro did OK but he only once, as I saw it, got his signature forehand blast going. At other times it went wide or into the net. He had some nice volleys but otherwise he was less than his best.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:20:02 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2012, 05:33:47 PM »
Nole and Fed have not been broken?  Geesh!  Should be a nice match tomorrow.  Regardless of seeds, Fed has his hands full tomorrow.  Can't wait to see it!
Scott Baker

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2012, 06:51:51 PM »
Nole and Fed have not been broken?  Geesh!  Should be a nice match tomorrow.  Regardless of seeds, Fed has his hands full tomorrow.  Can't wait to see it!

That was brought up during Fed's post match interview.
He said it won't stay that way.  :)>>>>

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2012, 06:54:05 PM »
If the Nole of the first match was playing the Fed of the second match today he would have won with no difficulty. Look at the RF stats, 5 df, 54% first serve %. But it doesn't work that way. I charitably believe that Fed was saving his best for tomorrow's final. If Nole plays the way he did today, it should be a great one.

Stan W. certainly played well but most of the time he had to contend only with Federer's B game. Fed upped it when necessary but it was nothing like the performance he gave against Mardy Fish last night.

Del Potro did OK but he only once, as I saw it, got his signature forehand blast going. At other times it went wide or into the net. He had some nice volleys but otherwise he was less than his best.

I counted one too and was looking for it. The one I saw was down the line.

The whole match I was wondering "Where is the lethal forehand?"

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »

:fish:   :fish:         :whistling:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Western & Southern Open
« Reply #172 on: August 18, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »

That was brought up during Fed's post match interview.
He said it won't stay that way.  :)>>>>

I think both of them will have their hands fill - not just Roger! I don't care how he does it - I want Roger to win - ugly or great tennis - it doesn't matter to me.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2012, 07:06:28 PM »
Venus not giving up!
Scott Baker

Offline mtt

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2012, 07:42:03 PM »
Down a set and a break, Venus calls the trainer...
Supposedly it's her back...
Promptly breaks back to meke it 2-2 in the second.
I hate that, when a player fakes an injury, just to break the opponents momrntum.
Worst thing is the commentators praise her for her "grit"....
If Li Na would be pulling this s***, they would be all over her.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:44:26 PM by mtt »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2012, 08:30:59 PM »
Man I think I am doing a 360 on Roger.  I really thought he was done 2 years ago but now he looks as good as ever!  Just goes to show you what good conditioning, staying away from the injury bug, and genes means in this game.  His incredible conditioning could have him winning majors 3 or 4 years from now!  Look at poor Rafi and his poor torn up body.  He may reitre before Fed at the current rate.
He's smarter.
He's got an experienced team in his corner that can take a champ deep into the final stages of his career.
He schedules well and stays mentally fresh for the most part.
He seems comfortable with taking his family on tour with him.
He is the heir to secrets of champions handed down from Llendl -> Sampras -> Federer.  His professionalism is evident in his physical condition.  Tell me how many times in his career have you seen Fed seriously sucking wind in a 5th set final???

And of course, now with Annacone on his team, the points are shorter (have you seen his serve this tourney?!?!?! :scared:) as are the matches against softer opponents.  It just remains to be seen how interested he in his in playing on.  With his nemisis fading rapidly, he may choose to soldier on and try to bag more slams in what some fans may deem a weak era with Nadal out of the picture.

Look Fed is still looking great at 31, but let's see if he can still maintain the level at 33?
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
For some reason D-Pot has not got back to his summer '09 self.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline mtt

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »
Watching the Kerber-Kvitova match, Kerber up 2-0, and havng a tough time holding to go up 3-0...
Mary Jo Fernandez talking about Kvitova :
"she's either going to win this match, or lose it"
Very good insight....

Kerber finally holds serve to make it 3-0.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2012, 09:25:41 PM »
Venus not giving up!

She did in the end  :( . Na Li won 7-5, 3-6, 6-1.  Nobody said anything but the collapse in the 3rd set came after they flashed a picture of Serena on the big screen. She must have been somewhere in the stands watching. Venus was spooked!  I saw this match through complete but did not wait for Kerber - Kvitova as it was getting late. It was a fun match if only occasionally good tennis. Saturday night brings out the crowd anxious for a good time and there was lots of comments along the lines of "I love you Li" , "Get her, Venus". I have happy memories of first seeing Na Li at the Australian Open last year. I gather she is no longer coached by her husband.

Finals tomorrow start at 12:30pm  with the mens.  :lmao: :scared:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2012, 10:01:18 PM »
I see Kerber took out Serena pretty easily. Anyone watch it? Did Serena look tired and disinterested?

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

Serena was just missing a lot.  She was showing a lot of frustration.  Threw her racquet.  Tossed her arms up a lot, laughed at errors, etc.

Thanks, I figured it was one of those wins that looks better on paper.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif