Author Topic: Western & Southern Open  (Read 13805 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Western & Southern Open
« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2012, 04:31:08 PM »
Wha?  When did they allow this on court coaching?  Li Na has her coach talking to her between the last 2 sets.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
Re: Re: Western & Southern Open
« Reply #241 on: August 19, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
Did it make 1 hour? The first set was something like 19'. I was so full of pancakes I decided to walk to the lake to watch the air show. Seems it couldn't have reached an hour. 

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

Shoot yes!  The 2nd set alone was maybe an hour!  Those 2 guys can cover a court!

Ooooo one set of tennis. This is why I don't go to best of 3 set tournaments. Lame.

what about madrid, eh ???  :)~ :)~
don't tell me you went for the smurf stuff.. :)) :))
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »
Djokovic was ridicolous today. He seemed a piece of s**t on court.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #243 on: August 19, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »
Wha?  When did they allow this on court coaching?  Li Na has her coach talking to her between the last 2 sets.

That's been going on for a couple of years in the WTA Scott.

Anyway, I went back and enjoyed the ladies final a lot more than the mens. Li Na lost the first set 1-6 but she pulled herself together and WON the second set. In the third, Kerber did a Djokovic like collapse. Trying to work out why I liked the second match so much more than the first.  I like Li Na for starters whereas I do find Fed a bit smug these days. Then, it was the fighting spirit of which Nole did not have enough of.

In any case, a really upbeat end to Cincy for me this year.  :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2012, 05:43:51 PM »

Anyway, I went back and enjoyed the ladies final a lot more than the mens. Li Na lost the first set 1-6 but she pulled herself together and WON the second set. In the third, Kerber did a Djokovic like collapse. Trying to work out why I liked the second match so much more than the first.  I like Li Na for starters whereas I do find Fed a bit smug these days. Then, it was the fighting spirit of which Nole did not have enough of.

It seems like the crowd still likes Roger.  Seems like when they were introducing them both - he got the bigger ovation...? Or do you think many now feel like you do?  (Personally, I don't - but you have a right to feel whatever way you want). :))

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2012, 05:48:53 PM »

It seems like the crowd still likes Roger.  Seems like when they were introducing them both - he got the bigger ovation...? Or do you think many now feel like you do?  (Personally, I don't - but you have a right to feel whatever way you want). :))

Yes, Dallas, I do have a right to feel whatever way I want on a particular day. I am not very concerned with what others think.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2012, 05:54:35 PM »

Yes, Dallas, I do have a right to feel whatever way I want on a particular day. I am not very concerned with what others think.

Honestly...it's no problem.  I was actually just curious as to how you thought the crowd reacted to Roger since you were there and maybe we couldn't see (or get a true feeling) from television?  Just wondering...

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2012, 06:09:55 PM »
Yes, Dallas, I would judge that in my corner of the stand, Fed got the loudest welcome.

My own current problem is trying to work out why I enjoyed the Li - Kerber match so much more than the Federer- Djokovic one. Maybe it was that dreadful first set from Nole; maybe it was because I sensed that Li Na was good at coming from behind.

As you can see from my earlier postings, I am the first to say that Fed played superbly in today's match and the one against Mardy Fish.

Maybe I just find Li Na more attractive.  ..-)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »

Now about the comment that something may have been different if Nadal had been there.  Well, again, as has been pointed out - Nadal has not won ANY titles off clay since 2010.  So even if he had been in this field - there is no guarantee that he would have won this title.

That's not even a good counter argument. Rafa can do damage without winning a title, i.e., take out Roger, Andy, or Nole. That's why you always need everyone healthy.

Seriously, people, did you already forget 2011 USO and 2012 AO? You guys are ridiculous with the crap stats you regurgitate as if they are meaningful.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:48:57 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: Western & Southern Open
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2012, 06:32:01 PM »
Did it make 1 hour? The first set was something like 19'. I was so full of pancakes I decided to walk to the lake to watch the air show. Seems it couldn't have reached an hour. 

Shoot yes!  The 2nd set alone was maybe an hour!  Those 2 guys can cover a court!

Ooooo one set of tennis. This is why I don't go to best of 3 set tournaments. Lame.

what about madrid, eh ???  :)~ :)~
don't tell me you went for the smurf stuff.. :)) :))

Ha ha!!   :lmao:  I went because my plans to go to RG got cancelled  :(  But I had never been to Spain before, so it worked out that there was tennis when I wanted to travel.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2012, 06:50:27 PM »
I don['t remember last time that Nole played so bad. so many DF and UE. I just don't get it. I guess playing 24/7 for three weeks in a row didn't help either but no excuses.

Kudos to Roger who played very well. I'm beyond being disappointed with Djokovic today. I don't know what the heck he was trying to do ... just a horrible performance.  :mad1:. somehow Novak Ivanovic showed up today. meh

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #251 on: August 19, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »
Djokovic was ridicolous today. He seemed a piece of s**t on court.

:coffee:

Djokovic will be fine and has quite a bit to look foreward to in his career.
No one has a good day everyday. 

Besides, the USO is coming and many pick Nole to take that one.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Western & Southern Open
« Reply #252 on: August 19, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »

Now about the comment that something may have been different if Nadal had been there.  Well, again, as has been pointed out - Nadal has not won ANY titles off clay since 2010.  So even if he had been in this field - there is no guarantee that he would have won this title.

That's not even a good counter argument. Rafa can do damage without winning a title, i.e., take out Roger, Andy, or Nole. That's why you always need everyone healthy.

Seriously, people, did you already forget 2011 USO and 2012 AO? You guys are ridiculous with the crap stats you regurgitate as if they are meaningful.

Even if Nadal had been there, based on his current form - there still would be no guarantee he would have done damage to Roger in this tournament. Nadal has never even made a final in Cincy.

It just seem like whenever Roger wins, someone always wants to put a "...but" to it.   he won, but he didn't play Nadal.... He won but he didn't play Murray..he won only because of the roof, he won because it was best of 3.... He won but Novak was tired....etc. I don't see as many statements like this associated with no one else, but the "critics", or the ones who don't like him always will come up with a reason for him winning ..rather than he just might have been playing better than the other guy? You think? Lol
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:54:05 PM by Dallas »

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2012, 09:58:21 PM »
Did not watch the final but how did Roger get a "goose egg" on Nole?  I mean was he mad or something in the first set?  Then in the second set - a tiebreaker?????  The match score was: Federer won 6-0, 7-6 (7).

I think if I were watching this match; it would be too much drama!   First set - Nole gets creammed at least that what the score saids.  I played matches where for some reason the game score was alot of adds in/outs and then I never am able to close it out.  But the games were close but the score showed that I got creammed.  Is that what happen on the first set?

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2012, 11:13:04 PM »

Even if Nadal had been there, based on his current form - there still would be no guarantee he would have done damage to Roger in this tournament. Nadal has never even made a final in Cincy.

It just seem like whenever Roger wins, someone always wants to put a "...but" to it.   he won, but he didn't play Nadal.... He won but he didn't play Murray..he won only because of the roof, he won because it was best of 3.... He won but Novak was tired....etc. I don't see as many statements like this associated with no one else, but the "critics", or the ones who don't like him always will come up with a reason for him winning ..rather than he just might have been playing better than the other guy? You think? Lol

Someone said "may" have been different, but Fedfans read, "I FLAT OUT GUARANTEE!!!!! IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT!!!!!

:rofl_2:

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #255 on: August 20, 2012, 02:14:17 AM »
I don['t remember last time that Nole played so bad. so many DF and UE. I just don't get it. I guess playing 24/7 for three weeks in a row didn't help either but no excuses.

Kudos to Roger who played very well. I'm beyond being disappointed with Djokovic today. I don't know what the heck he was trying to do ... just a horrible performance.  :mad1:. somehow Novak Ivanovic showed up today. meh

hehe.. :)) :)) good one alex..i've decided whenever Nole plays badly from now onwards, we shall call him - Novak Ivanovic

Agreed ??  :)~ :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:43:55 AM by ashwin#1 »
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #256 on: August 20, 2012, 02:41:02 AM »
Hmm, most people here think that Djokovic played rather poorly, whereas I found Federer playing extremely aggressive forcing Djokovic out of his comfort zone. Maybe a bit like their Wimbledon match where Federer rushed Djokovic in the first set as well.

Djokovic adjusted in the second set but didn't seize the opportunities in the tie-break. Had he won the tie-break then anything could've happened.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #257 on: August 20, 2012, 03:00:11 AM »
Wow, I really need to punish myself and watch that unwatchable 1st set gain and try to ignore the games Nole donated. The thought that he might be tanking the first set crossed my mind. Roger's great and all, but try hard not to get carried away with the first set people.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #258 on: August 20, 2012, 06:05:49 AM »
The eyes see what the mind believes.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #259 on: August 20, 2012, 10:17:30 AM »

I agree ALEX, Djokovic had a horrible first set. Very unlike him, but even great players have their "off" moments, and I don't see why Djokovic would be an exception to that rule.    Sometimes, these WTF moments are truly inexplicable.   It is no more or less than that, and if anyone thinks Djokovic is going to make a habit of it, they are wide of the mark.
Once he settled down he fought an excellent contest & could easily have won the second set. 

BABBLELOT - why would Djokovic donate games in the first set or tank it? 
Carpe Diem