Author Topic: Rafael Nadal out of the US Open  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: Rafael Nadal out of the US Open
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »
So bad, i really wanted to see him there :( anyway i hope he'll be back as soon as possible ;)
Marcoo, welcome to the board.  :))

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »
I see quote from Auncle Toni, he confirmed it is knee injure, but a different one.

Thanks, I must have missed that one.

Uncle Toni spoke on Spanish radio yesterday, while Rafa talked about it sometime earlier this week.

Here are some of the tweets about Toni's comments:

"Toni Nadal hace unos minutos en @esportsib3tv : "Rafel no está en condiciones y no sabemos cuando lo estará"
Toni Nadal: "Intentaremos llegar a la Davis, pero si no está bien, pues tampoco la jugará"
Toni Nadal en @esportsib3tv : "Pensábamos que se recuperaría antes, pero se está alargando. Tiene una cosa nueva en la rodilla""

Toni Nadal: "Rafael's career is not in danger. These last couple of months we've been using patches so that he could keep playing, but the doctor recommended that it was better that he recovered well. Now that we've lost the Olympics and now the USO, there's no rush to come back. We have to be patient to return with maximum guarantee. It could be at the DC or a bit later. But I'm confident it won't be much later."

Article says that they've been continuing with the treatment that causes growth in the damaged tendons, but it hasn't worked as was hoped. Apparently, the tendonitis in "las articulaciones rotulianas" has caused the tendon fibres to degenerate (tendinosis).

"At the moment, we are going to follow a conservative treatment. It is the most prudent and is what Rafael wants. He's in good spirits because he knows it's the only way he can compete without pain. This week he's been able to train with intensity, but he ended every training session with pain and we knew that it would be difficult to play successive tournaments. We've thought about it and it's better that he recovers fully".

''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
Federer, Djoko, Murray sympathise with Nadal
Fellow stars Federer, Djoko & Murray sympathise with Nadal as gruelling schedule takes toll on injured Spaniard

Elite players led by World No 1 Roger Federer at the Cincinnati Masters expressed their concern on Wednesday that Rafael Nadal will be forced to miss the US Open due to left knee tendinitis.

“It’s not a surprise, because I wrote him and he told me it wasn’t looking good at all,” said top seeded Federer.
 “But obviously when it’s official it’s disappointing for tennis, there’s no doubt about it.

“I would love to have him in the draw. With 12 days before the Open you figure he might still have time to fix what he has to fix to get ready.

“There is obviously the whole debate going on if he is going come back for this year.

“I hope in hindsight this is a very smart decision by him. But it’s obviously a big blow and disappointing news for the tennis world.”

Those sentiments were echoed by World No 2 Novak Djokovic and fourth-ranked Olympic gold medalist Andy Murray.

“He’s a great competitor,” Djokovic said. “I’m sure that if he was able to perform in the US Open he would come. So I wish him a quick recovery.”

Murray, who has been dealing with a knee problem of his own over the last week or so, was equally sympathetic.

“I’m disappointed for him, it’s obviously tough. He’s had trouble with his knees in the past. So I hope he can rest, doesn’t come back too early, and gets them fixed so he can get back to playing his best tennis.”

http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2012/aug/170812-Federer-Djoko-Murray-sympathise-with-Nadal.htm
Carpe Diem

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »
 Rafa gave a press conference in Manacor today, so I thought I'd let you all know what has been said.

Apparently, it's "la enfermedad de Hoffa" or "Hoffitis", which is an inflammation of an accumulation of fat that exists in the inside of the knee, just behind the "rotuliano" tendon. Symptoms are pain in the back of the knee that increases when running and upon touching the tendon. Treated with anti-inflammatories and rest. In cases where it becomes chronic (pain lasts more than 6 months), surgery can can done where part of the fat is stretched.

Rafa himself has made some interesting comments:

"We will adopt a new approach and probably from now on, I will have to play more on clay, than on hard, which hurts me more. If I have to play less matches in the year, I will. If I have to change the tournaments I play, I will. I will do anything to prolong my career"

He also mentioned that he wants to play in the next Olympic Games. Is playing more on clay the answer?
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »
Rafa gave a press conference in Manacor today, so I thought I'd let you all know what has been said.

"We will adopt a new approach and probably from now on, I will have to play more on clay, than on hard, which hurts me more. If I have to play less matches in the year, I will. If I have to change the tournaments I play, I will. I will do anything to prolong my career"

well thats enlightening..it will be hard for him to maintain the top positions..:(
imagine nadal playing the 4 slams, clay season & 4-5 HC masters/500/250's..
its unfortunate that a great player like him has to suffer like this..
i hope this gives out a message to all those young rising tennis players:

Too much of anything is Bad.. :innocent:
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2012, 12:40:07 PM »
It's just possible he may come back to play Davis Cup on the clay against the USA in Spain 14-16 Sep 2012.

I suppose we might have a good idea if that's the case if he resumes his recuperation and practice on the clay courts in Manacor.

At least his effort this year resulted in a record 7th Roland Garros title.  No one can take that honor away from him.

Respectfully,
masterclass

davis cup is important but what good is a davis cup win if he can't keep himself in contention for the top prizes in tennis which are the slams? really the interest is gone with him skipping the us open.........he is just a clown who doesn't know how to approach a full tennis season........just a big clown.......

Let us keep in mind that he is a player that needs to spend a lot of time on the court to keep his game sharp.  That requires more practice and more matches.  He cannot pull a Serena and walk on the court in round 1 rusty as all get out and still easily win the tournament.   He does what he needs to for his game to be at the level he feels it needs to be at.  Honestly, I am surprised he has not missed more tennis as grueling as his game is on his body.

It's a shame the US Open will not see him this year though.  That means one of the big 4 who are always making the semis are out, leaves the door open for someone else.
Bingo.
It's been obvious from the very beginning of his career that his days were numbered due to his grinding style. 

SAID THE MAN WHO TRASHED HIS OWN KNEES ON COURT
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:41:40 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »

well thats enlightening..it will be hard for him to maintain the top positions..:(

too bad he did not adopt this approach 5 years ago. he could have been sitting on 3-4 more slams.

i said fully 5 years exactly what he had to do.

Offline no_1_djoko_fan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »
I don't get what the big fuss is with Nadal.

Alright, he is the greatest clay court player of all time, but take him away from Roland Garos, and he's average at best.

Most of his slams have been won there.

It's obvious that he isn't going to properly recover from his injury problems.
"Sometimes it feels like you're not on a tennis court, the amount of noise you guys produce and for us it's a great feeling. It's a pleasure playing in front of you. It's my great privilege to be standing here in front of one of the greatest players ever, Rod Laver. "

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »
More news

http://www.tennisperspective.com/2012/08/the-curious-case-of-nadals-knees-revealed.html
The Curious Case Of Nadal’s Knees Revealed

Posted on August 17, 2012 by admin| Leave a comment

Over the last few days there has been plenty of speculation about the state of Rafael Nadal’s knees since he withdrew from the US Open. Quotes from his PR agent denied an injury and state he simply wasn’t fit. Other stories indicated he should be fit for Davis Cup in September, while others revealed a more worrying story (apparently from Uncle Toni) that they were trying to manage Rafa’s knees conservatively to avoid surgery.

It has long been my view, and many other peoples, that Nadal needed an extended break to not only lengthen his career but to preserve the long term health of his knees. It appears that is finally what is happening.

Nadal held a press conference a few hours ago where is has been revealed that Rafa suffers from Hoffa’s Disease.

This means that the infrapatella fat pad (aka Hoffa’s Pad), which is situated behind the knee cap, is getting impinged – which is particularly painful on end of range knee extension. This situation perhaps sheds some light on Nadal’s bizarre situation in Melbourne this year where his knee locked getting out of a chair, then causing him extreme pain to extend the knee.

While we know Rafa has successfully used PRP therapy to manage his tendinitis issues when inflammation has been an issue, rest, anti inflammatories, strengthening and some cortisone is likely to be all part of Rafa’s immediate future if he wants to avoid arthroscopic trimming of the fat pad.

In his press conference Nadal made it clear that this is not the end of his career and that he intends to give his knees the time they need to recover rather than to force a return. In other words, it is entirely possible that we may not see Rafa on the courts again until 2013.

Realistically this is a great move for Nadal. Sure missing the Olympics would have been hard to swallow but the body of Rafa always seems to start breaking down on the American hard courts as his body starts to run out of gas.

Nadal’s work for the year is done. He took control of the clay courts, where he normally gathers a huge tally of points that should stop him drifting too far down the rankings. He’s also a particular variety of athlete, the work horse, who need to hit a huge number of balls to work himself into form. That wasn’t going to happen in time for the US Open so why put your body through it. He’s already put his body through enough.

Nadal was clear in the press conference that he was unconcerned with how his rest period would impact his rankings.

“I’ll return when the knee is healed. I won’t force… I’ve already missed many important things and I won’t risk any more.”

“I work very hard every day to be ready as soon as possible. I’m really motivated to compete as soon as I can.”

“For 6 months this year, I was competing to become number 1 in the ATP ranking, but I’m not worried about being number 3 or number 4.”

“I won’t put deadlines for my return. Right now I follow my knee’s orders.”

It seems Rafa is finally following the doctors orders – and his body’s.

http://www.tennisperspective.com/2012/08/the-curious-case-of-nadals-knees-revealed.htmlRafael Nadal Announces He Has “Hoffa’s Syndrome”, He Hopes To Return For Davis Cup [Video]
by Tom Gainey

In a press conference today in Mallorca, Rafael Nadal shed more light on his injury situation. The 26-year-old revealed that he has been suffering from “Hoffa’s Syndrome”, which is a fat pad impingement in his left knee (read more here). The injury has now forced him out of the US Open and he says he will only return when the knee is 100% OK.

“Now the most important thing is to recover well and today my knee is not ready to compete in a ‘Grand Slam’, I will try to recover as soon as possible to return with a good feeling, with guarantees to compete and train all the best I know,” Nadal said via Marca through Google translation.

After missing all of July and August, Nadal is still hopeful on returning for Spain’s Davis Cup tie at home on clay against the U.S. the weekend after the US Open.

“We’ll see if I will be ready for Gijon, for the Davis Cup,” Nadal told Reuters. “My goal, my dream is to be there if the captain has confidence in me, but it always depends on the captain and the knee.”

Nadal’s absence will hurt his ranking, but the 11-time Grand Slam champion also said that he isn’t worried what position he will be when he returns.

Rafa’s coach and Uncle, Toni Nadal, added yesterday that he wants Rafa only to return when fully healthy.

Nadal hasn’t played since his shock loss to Lukas Rosol in July 28 at Wimbledon. He said this injury is related to the knee issues he had earlier in the year in Miami.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:45:22 PM by williamchung7 »

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »

Alright, he is the greatest clay court player of all time, but take him away from Roland Garos, and he's average at best.

right. no tennis is ever played on the red clay.

which brings up an interesting question: what the hell do they do on red clay?

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2012, 08:44:02 PM »

clay and grass are natural surfaces that simply suit his game very well. HC literally killing his knees. I see you are a Nole fan which is cool, but, let's say every time I see Novak sliding and slipping on HC I think my heart would stop. I just don't understand how anybody can be so elastic and not get injured. I hate to say this, as a huge Nole fan, but I'm afraid that he'll play the price when he gets older  :(.

I guess Federer is an anomaly and a strange creature  :innocent:. However, all true tennis fans should pray for Nadal and hope he'll get well.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »
The cause of the knee problem has been found.
Earlier in the year it was said the tendons and ligaments are 100% and better than two years ago.
Since this new problem is identified then a proper treatment protocol can be formulated.

Translation: Nadal may have many years ahead of him benefitting all of tennis.  :king:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2012, 09:40:47 PM »
agree with general swish here.

he is a freak of a physical specimen anway. huge physical gifts on loan from the gods.

they forgot about the brains.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2012, 05:39:30 AM »
At least he's saying all the right things now about adjusting his game and his schedule in order to prolong his career.  Perhaps there is hope.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2012, 06:19:16 AM »

Well, everybody in this forum, Djokovic fans, Fed fans and even Nadal fans have been talking for years about his schedule and the way he put pressure to the body playing that many tournaments. It is a shame that it had to come down to this to make Nadal realize that he needed to rest and schedule better. But all in all, this could be a turn around point for him to be intelligent and miss out on some "unnecessary" tournaments.

Will his career and longevity benefit from this decision? My guess is, it will, although with so many injuries specially in his knees it will grind him to play less and less tournaments each year if he wants to play until his 30s. Let's just hope that he play it smart and start making the right decisions.

Another question that comes to mind is: If he is going to start missing out tournaments (specially HC tournaments) and the need for Nadal to stay on court for hours to find his rythm will cost him dearly to be able to contend for titles outside of clay. That remains to be seen.

But all in all, I wish Nadal the best and hope he can manages to recover and return stronger than ever.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2012, 07:55:57 AM »
It's just possible he may come back to play Davis Cup on the clay against the USA in Spain 14-16 Sep 2012.

I suppose we might have a good idea if that's the case if he resumes his recuperation and practice on the clay courts in Manacor.

At least his effort this year resulted in a record 7th Roland Garros title.  No one can take that honor away from him.

Respectfully,
masterclass

davis cup is important but what good is a davis cup win if he can't keep himself in contention for the top prizes in tennis which are the slams? really the interest is gone with him skipping the us open.........he is just a clown who doesn't know how to approach a full tennis season........just a big clown.......

Let us keep in mind that he is a player that needs to spend a lot of time on the court to keep his game sharp.  That requires more practice and more matches.  He cannot pull a Serena and walk on the court in round 1 rusty as all get out and still easily win the tournament.   He does what he needs to for his game to be at the level he feels it needs to be at.  Honestly, I am surprised he has not missed more tennis as grueling as his game is on his body.

It's a shame the US Open will not see him this year though.  That means one of the big 4 who are always making the semis are out, leaves the door open for someone else.
Bingo.
It's been obvious from the very beginning of his career that his days were numbered due to his grinding style. 

nope, i don't think that his gruelling game is the cause for this, agassi was always wrong.........every year since 2006 many people like agassi have been calling curtains on nadal's career but rafa just keeps getting by seasons normally.........

nadal is a great physical specimen, his only problem is that he cannot stop himself from overplaying........any player gets injured if he plays too much like nadal........

the explanation for overplaying is that he needs a lot of tuning which is also untrue because what preparation did he have walking into australian open 2009 or australian open 2012?

having followed and appreciated nadal for 8 years now, i can honestly tell you that his problem is in only his head.........all the talk of hardcourts killed him is just nonsense from clueless journalists........

hardcourts would kill anybody if they stretched their asses to an extent of winning singles and doubles of brutal hardcourt masters events and played recklessly without bothering to rest between big events........

i ask all these analysts who think hardcourts killed nadal........give me one season where djokovic or federer ever stretched themselves so much in so little time(singles and doubles in the IW, miami, entire clay stretch, queens and wimbledon) like nadal did countless times in his 8 year career so far?

the current damage is not because of hardcourts, it's because of overplaying on hardcourts........it sprung from overplaying what i am trying to say is that had he followed a normal schedule like federer or djokovic, he wouldn't be injured all the time.........

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2012, 09:46:52 AM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

Bingo.

nope, i don't think that his gruelling game is the cause for this, agassi was always wrong.........every year since 2006 many people like agassi have been calling curtains on nadal's career but rafa just keeps getting by seasons normally.........

nadal is a great physical specimen, his only problem is that he cannot stop himself from overplaying........any player gets injured if he plays too much like nadal........

the explanation for overplaying is that he needs a lot of tuning which is also untrue because what preparation did he have walking into australian open 2009 or australian open 2012?

having followed and appreciated nadal for 8 years now, i can honestly tell you that his problem is in only his head.........all the talk of hardcourts killed him is just nonsense from clueless journalists........

hardcourts would kill anybody if they stretched their asses to an extent of winning singles and doubles of brutal hardcourt masters events and played recklessly without bothering to rest between big events........

i ask all these analysts who think hardcourts killed nadal........give me one season where djokovic or federer ever stretched themselves so much in so little time(singles and doubles in the IW, miami, entire clay stretch, queens and wimbledon) like nadal did countless times in his 8 year career so far?

the current damage is not because of hardcourts, it's because of overplaying on hardcourts........it sprung from overplaying what i am trying to say is that had he followed a normal schedule like federer or djokovic, he wouldn't be injured all the time.........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2012, 10:46:59 AM »
At least he's saying all the right things now about adjusting his game and his schedule in order to prolong his career.  Perhaps there is hope.

I remember him saying something similar in 2009 too. [playing a reduced schedule, listening to my body, etc etc] The fact that this is a different problem suggests that his approach so far has worked for the tendinitis issue.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »
there is hope. he will make the adjustments next year.

expect more play and practice on clay.