Poll

When will Rafael Nadal return to tournament play?

Davis Cup - Spain vs USA semi Sept 14
4 (33.3%)
Tokyo/Shanghai - Oct 1/Oct 7
2 (16.7%)
Paris-Bercy - Oct 29
0 (0%)
London World Tour Finals - Nov 5
0 (0%)
Qatar/Australian Open
1 (8.3%)
South American Clay
1 (8.3%)
Surgery and long term rest
0 (0%)
He's the King of Clay - 7 Roland Garros - if he can't be 100% he will retire.
0 (0%)
Get real, even he doesn't know - I don't like prediction threads
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: The Return of the King of Clay: Rafael Nadal  (Read 2947 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: The Return of the King (of Clay): Rafael Nadal
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 08:18:02 AM »
I agree with Moonstruck.
 The fact that people have wrongly predicted Nadal's demise don't mean that those predictions were irrational-on the contrary they were entirely rational even though they've turned out to be wrong, in that narrow sense.
What people who came to that conclusion about Nadals short career failed to anticipate or incorporate into their thinking was Nadal's exceptional ability to withstand his punishing approach-this is unprecedented.
  The question is can Nadal continue to play at a level he has and extend the perceived boundaries of what is considered exceptional even further, and it's still rational to assume he can't. He's clearly suffering because of the way he plays, and even his body has to give up sometime.
That seems to explain it quite nicely.
Let's see how much longer he can endure the pain.

Seems as though I read somewhere about his training involving exactly that 'endurance of pain'.
Guess he better train a bit harder.  It's only going to get worse. :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
Re: The Return of the King of Clay: Rafael Nadal
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »
I agree with Moonstruck.
 The fact that people have wrongly predicted Nadal's demise don't mean that those predictions were irrational-on the contrary they were entirely rational even though they've turned out to be wrong, in that narrow sense.
What people who came to that conclusion about Nadals short career failed to anticipate or incorporate into their thinking was Nadal's exceptional ability to withstand his punishing approach-this is unprecedented.
  The question is can Nadal continue to play at a level he has and extend the perceived boundaries of what is considered exceptional even further, and it's still rational to assume he can't. He's clearly suffering because of the way he plays, and even his body has to give up sometime.

Seems as though I read somewhere about his training involving exactly that 'endurance of pain'.

That explains it - he's a masochist.  :))
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 05:39:27 AM »
I agree with Moonstruck.

Actually, that's part of his training. :Confused:
Similar to the tactics used to train David Ferrer, being locked in a dark closet for hours on end.
Apparently these methods work far better than those employed by the USTA. :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 12:48:23 PM »
I agree with Moonstruck.

Actually, that's part of his training. :Confused:
Similar to the tactics used to train David Ferrer, being locked in a dark closet for hours on end.
Apparently these methods work far better than those employed by the USTA. :whistle:

:scared: How is that supposed to help him? Improve his night vision?  :))
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 01:52:11 PM »

Latest news from Rafael Nadal:

Rafael Nadal to play at Madison Square Garden in exhibition vs. Juan Martin Del Potro.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/22/rafael-nadal-madison-square-garden-us-open?intcmp=239

Nadal is scheduled to play the exhibition next year on indoor hardcourt on March 4, 2013.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »
Sounds good, wonder how they got DelPo and Nadal together.  :confused1:

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
Re: Re: The Return of the King of Clay: Rafael Nadal
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 03:34:32 PM »
Why? Last I checked Del Potro and Nadal are friends

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 04:25:01 PM »
why am i not surprised.

and this blundering buffoon only days ago said that he will need to stay more on softer surfaces going forward.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
Why? Last I checked Del Potro and Nadal are friends

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

How did they get them to play?

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »
they should play on green clay (har tru) or red clay.

nadal out to prove that he is really retarded.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
they should play on green clay (har tru) or red clay.

nadal out to prove that he is really retarded.

I would think it would be combination of Nadal, Fed, Murray or Djokovic, strange.

Anyways, it shouldn't be too stressful.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
The Return of the King of Clay: Rafael Nadal
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »
Maybe he just can't pass up the cash.  Wasn't there a recent thread having something to do with greed???
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 09:54:52 PM »
Maybe he just can't pass up the cash.  Wasn't there a recent thread having something to do with greed???

There was some thread floating around about the greedy IIRC.  :rofl_2:      :innocent:

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 05:44:55 AM »

Rafael Nadal to play at Madison Square Garden in exhibition vs. Juan Martin Del Potro.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/22/rafael-nadal-madison-square-garden-us-open?intcmp=239

Nadal is scheduled to play the exhibition next year on indoor hardcourt on March 4, 2013.

Respectfully,
masterclass

he wants to donate his roland garros title too or what?
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

Saint Rafa the Generous. Always donating alms [or is it slams?] as charity.  :rofl_2:

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

Nadal doesn't seem to be able to help himself regarding overplaying and extra play. If being out of action essentially for half the year isn't enough to convince him, then nothing will.  This exhibition event is right after Acapulco and just before Indian Wells.  So from this, my guess is that he plans on playing Indian Wells.  Maybe doubles too.   :mad1:

2013 ATP Calendar
  -http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=atp%20tennis%20calendar%202013&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEUQFjAA&url=%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Datp%2520tennis%2520calendar%25202013%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26cad%3Drja%26ved%3D0CEUQFjAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.atpworldtour.com%252F%257E%252Fmedia%252F8971B404AB2047E1A897C7D031D57EE5.ashx%26ei%3D_i42UNOHBcWIhQfC5YHYCw%26usg%3DAFQjCNE_vXcbHBA8H0JRjAinc4r__DvFaQ&ei=_i42UNOHBcWIhQfC5YHYCw&usg=AFQjCNE_vXcbHBA8H0JRjAinc4r__DvFaQ

Here would be my 2013 schedule if I were Nadal:

General Strategy: Forget the Australian Open, even though it has been a successful tournament for him.  That Slam hard court is just too slow, favoring longer games and matches, and will strain his knees even more right at the start.  Instead Start on clay in South America and stay on the clay as much as possible in the first half of the year and only play as many hard courts as necessary the rest of the year. Skip or exit early from all required masters not mentioned below and refrain from playing exhibitions unless on clay.

February
Feb 11, 2013 - Brasil Open - ATP 250 -  Clay
Feb 25, 2013 - Acapulco - ATP 500 - Clay

April
Apr 8, 2013 - Houston - ATP 250 - Clay (Tune up for European Clay)
Apr 15, 2013 - Monte Carlo - Masters 1000 - Clay
Apr 22, 2013 - Barcelona Open - ATP 500 - Clay

May-early June
May 13, 2013 - Rome - Masters 1000 - Clay
May 27-Jun 9, 2013 - Roland Garros - Grand Slam - Clay

late June-July
June 24-Jul 7, 2013 - Wimbledon - Grand Slam - Grass
Jul 15, 2013 - Hamburg - ATP 500 - Clay  (depending on how Wimbledon went)

August-early September
Aug 5, 2013 - Montreal - Masters 1000 - Outdoor Hard
Aug 26-Sep 8, 2013 - US Open - Grand Slam - Outdoor Hard

October
Oct 7, 2013 - Shanghai - Masters 1000 - Outdoor Hard
Oct 21, 2013 - Valencia Open - ATP 500 - Indoor Hard

November
Nov 4, 2013 - London World Tour Final - YEC - Indoor Hard

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:01 AM »
he has become a full blown clown masterclass.......he never made any sense with his participation format on the tour and it looks like that will continue as long as he plays.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 12:56:40 AM »
The things is, Nadal doesn't give a crap if he blows out his knees for the rest of his life. He's way too determined and competitive, and he loves the sport too much. He's had tendinitis multiple times, and all he does is let it heal, and get right back to what he does best: slaughter people on the tennis court. He's not going to quit until his knees are literally shattered. Plus, he's shown he's good at bouncing back from injuries. Look at 2009. Early exit from RG, skipped Wimbledon and many hard court tournaments before the USO. Then he went on to win 3 of the 4 slams in 2010. He's good at shrugging off injuries and playing through the pain. He's had the injury that's keeping him out now since Indian Wells when he lost to Fed. But he didn't care. The clay court season was coming up, and he was sure as heck not going to sit out of it or Wimbledon. So he pushed himself until it finally caught up with him against Rosol.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 12:58:18 AM »
The things is, Nadal doesn't give a crap if he blows out his knees for the rest of his life. He's way too determined and competitive, and he loves the sport too much. He's had tendinitis multiple times, and all he does is let it heal, and get right back to what he does best: slaughter people on the tennis court. He's not going to quit until his knees are literally shattered. Plus, he's shown he's good at bouncing back from injuries. Look at 2009. Early exit from RG, skipped Wimbledon and many hard court tournaments before the USO. Then he went on to win 3 of the 4 slams in 2010. He's good at shrugging off injuries and playing through the pain. He's had the injury that's keeping him out now since Indian Wells when he lost to Fed. But he didn't care. The clay court season was coming up, and he was sure as heck not going to sit out of it or Wimbledon. So he pushed himself until it finally caught up with him against Rosol.

Then we will fight in the shade.