Instructional Tennis > Tennis Rules & Regulations

Opponent Leaves the Court Mid Game

(1/2) > >>

Tennis4you:

--- Quote ---
Player:  Quick question- if a person leaves during a game where they are losing  40 love - is the person disqualified according to USTA?

T4U:  Define the situation a little more.  Did they leave the court and go somewhere else?

Player:  No they did not ask permission just said there shoulder hurt and stood outside the courts- when the game resumed 15 minutes later- he could not agree on the score but the other team said it was 40 love.  The official made them start from love love again
--- End quote ---

monstertruck:
I'm going with a DQ on this one.
Not sure what the injury timeout rules are, but if the 'shoulder hurts' then hang up the ratchet!

Tennis4you:
I did not think you could take an injury time out until a change over?  Either way, I think it is a DQ too.  Curious Big Jim's thoughts.

Jamesdster:

--- Quote from: Tennis4you on August 18, 2012, 08:51:35 PM ---
--- Quote ---
Player:  Quick question- if a person leaves during a game where they are losing  40 love - is the person disqualified according to USTA?

T4U:  Define the situation a little more.  Did they leave the court and go somewhere else?

Player:  No they did not ask permission just said there shoulder hurt and stood outside the courts- when the game resumed 15 minutes later- he could not agree on the score but the other team said it was 40 love.  The official made them start from love love again
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Was this a sanctioned USTA tourney?  ITA?  There are 2 different rules for each.  I assume there was no umpire on the court, either roving or chair (because a player must ask permission to leave the court)?  I also assume there was no trainer at this event (since the player took SOOO LONG in returning?  This scenarior is chalk full of questions.  With so may questions, one thing I can tell you is.....there is no way the player should have been allowed to have a 15 minute injury timeout.  15 minute injury timeouts USUALLY pertain to bleeding situations.  In USTA events, you have 3 minutes to treat an injury once the problem has been diagnosed.  It must have been obvious that the problem was with the shoulder thus begin the 3 minute clock.  In ITA, you may have a max of 5 minutes for DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT. 

Jamesdster:

--- Quote from: Tennis4you on August 19, 2012, 09:04:16 AM ---I did not think you could take an injury time out until a change over?  Either way, I think it is a DQ too.  Curious Big Jim's thoughts.

--- End quote ---

Nope.  You can take an injury timeout at any time, does not have to be at a change over.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version