Author Topic: OFFICIAL 2012 U.S. OPEN (MEN)  (Read 36070 times)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Re: OFFICIAL 2012 U.S. OPEN (MEN)
« Reply #680 on: September 09, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »
it's idiotic that nobody till the final tried the slice against djokovic in this tournament.......he crumbles when handling a well delivered slice and is just not sure of his court position for the next shot........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #681 on: September 09, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
What's wrong with you guys today?  ..-)

It doesn't matter at all that I was pulling for Berdych! That match was just terrible to watch due to ridiculous wind that blew away chairs and rackets on the court!

It clearly bothered me a bit more than Murray fans, which is obvious, but thats not the point at all....

All I'm saying is that no one with a roof would close the roof because of wind.

Earlier, someone asked me why I don't like indoor tennis, and I rattled off a number of reasons as well as reasons I like out tennis. But I did end that with, Exept wind! I hate wind.

W can stop it from raining. AO can do that and air condition, but the temp has to be above an exact temp before they do that. One degree below, and they're OK with letting the players drop dead. But no one is going to close a roof because it's windy.

But the thing is it wasn't windy, it was one of the worst winds I've ever seen on tennis match, and definitely 1st time I saw chairs with bags got blown away all over the court.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why Ferrer-Djokovic match needed to be suspended. I just feel the other match should have been also suspended. Exceptions should be made when the stakes are so high. It was SF of a GS after all, and we got the worst SF possible!

From the video I posted:

McEnroe: I did play in a match that was suspended because it was windy conditions.
Robinson: (SHOCKED!) They suspended it because of the wind?
McErone: Well, no, actually, it was at Indian Wells (in the desert), and they suspended it because sand was blowing across the court and into our eyes.

Wind. Play.
Sand on hardcourt and in players eyes = Health risks. No play.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:59:00 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #682 on: September 09, 2012, 02:04:31 PM »

It doesn't matter at all that I was pulling for Berdych! That match was just terrible to watch due to ridiculous wind that blew away chairs and rackets on the court!

It clearly bothered me a bit more than Murray fans, which is obvious, but thats not the point at all....

Earlier, someone asked me why I don't like indoor tennis, and I rattled off a number of reasons as well as reasons I like out tennis. But I did end that with, Exept wind! I hate wind.

W can stop it from raining. AO can do that and air condition, but the temp has to be above an exact temp before they do that. One degree below, and they're OK with letting the players drop dead. But no one is going to close a roof because it's windy.

But the thing is it wasn't windy, it was one of the worst winds I've ever seen on tennis match, and definitely 1st time I saw chairs with bags got blown away all over the court.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why Ferrer-Djokovic match needed to be suspended. I just feel the other match should have been also suspended. Exceptions should be made when the stakes are so high. It was SF of a GS after all, and we got the worst SF possible!

That's why I posted the link above with Agassi-Federer at 2004 USO. Steady wind with gusts up to 40mph. Just look at 2:10:00.

saw it, that net shaking was insane, and umpire's pants.

but theres no need giving examples how these guys could have played in such conditions and the other guy couldn't.
Thats why I think 'wind exceptions' should be made, imo its ridiculous to watch such tennis at this late stage.

But whatever, I'm willing to let it go. Very bad memory will remain from this SF but yeah...
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #683 on: September 09, 2012, 02:14:19 PM »
Bad tennis memories we all have but they make the good memories even better.  :)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #684 on: September 09, 2012, 02:25:34 PM »

That's why I posted the link above with Agassi-Federer at 2004 USO. Steady wind with gusts up to 40mph. Just look at 2:10:00.

saw it, that net shaking was insane, and umpire's pants.

but theres no need giving examples how these guys could have played in such conditions and the other guy couldn't.
Thats why I think 'wind exceptions' should be made, imo its ridiculous to watch such tennis at this late stage.

But whatever, I'm willing to let it go. Very bad memory will remain from this SF but yeah...

I bet that would be tough to legislate. If it's windy and you know you have to play, you do your best. If you know the match could be suspended, then I suppose both players would have to agree to suspend play. But I can see the wind leveling the playing field between Ferrer and Nole. So Ferrer wants to play and Nole starts whining demanding play be stopped. Then he goes and sits in his chair and demands the supervisor to come out. Then they argue for several minutes, and the supervisor tells him to go out and play... In the meantime, Ferrer is :cursing: yelling at the chair "VAMOS!!"   :mad1:

Wind is rarely constant. Even yesterday. There were times that it was very playable. Then the wind returned. Wind is unpredictable whereas the temperature is constant and easy to measure.

And if one match is suspended, you'd have to suspend all matches on all courts.

How would you institute the wind rule, Luggy?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:30:01 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #685 on: September 09, 2012, 02:39:42 PM »
First of all, I'm not making a big deal out of this. Its not like I worry about players that their 'little bodies' will be hurt due to heavy wind.
I might be a bit 'selfish' but I fell like I was robbed off some quality tennis in SF of a GS.

Its not about the players and their ability to play in such conditions, and its out of a question that they can play.
What matters to me is that due to such heavy conditions the quality is totally lost.
Have to say it again, it was a ridiculous tennis match. Players serving like WTA players, balls dropping fast before the hit. Multiple ball tosses, repeated. Sadly it was Berdych who suffered it the most, because his style its just no good at such conditions.

Now what I would do about it...
Definitely make some rule, where all must agree and say.. OK this wind is getting ridiculous, for the sake of good tennis we need to suspend it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:40:23 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #686 on: September 09, 2012, 02:42:21 PM »
The conversation from the video begins about 2:13.

Tommy Haas: (After playing in a really windy match in Key Biscane) There ought to be a rule for the wind.

Agassi: What? You guys are weak, mentally.   :rofl_2:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #687 on: September 09, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »

Now what I would do about it...
Definitely make some rule, where all must agree and say.. OK this wind is getting ridiculous, for the sake of good tennis we need to suspend it.

That is the biggest copout rule ever!!  :rofl_2:

Come on, man, stand up and make a rule!

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #688 on: September 09, 2012, 02:51:55 PM »
what I meant by that sentence is exactly what Haas said in that video. I actually posted that sentence before hearing what Haas said about that rule.
So I definitely agree with him that they should suspend the match when the wind gets above some limits. Which I really don't know as I can't tell how heavy winds must get to 'create' a ridiculous tennis match.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #689 on: September 09, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »
ofc all the players who can adopt their style of game to the wind would say such a rule is ridiculous.
Because the victory is inevitable when you face an opponent who just can't win due to heavy wind.

Its like telling 'clay courters' that clay season should be shorter, so we can have more grass tourneys, which we lack. They would just say, screw you.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:56:46 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #690 on: September 09, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
what I meant by that sentence is exactly what Haas said in that video. I actually posted that sentence before hearing what Haas said about that rule.
So I definitely agree with him that they should suspend the match when the wind gets above some limits. Which I really don't know as I can't tell how heavy winds must get to 'create' a ridiculous tennis match.

Here's the other problem. Rain, heat, and now wind could suspend play. Often wind and rain go hand in hand. One day you suspend because of rain. Another day you suspend because of wind.

You'll never finish a tournament.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #691 on: September 09, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »

Here's the other problem. Rain, heat, and now wind could suspend play. Often wind and rain go hand in hand. One day you suspend because of rain. Another day you suspend because of wind.

thats why ultimately, you need to have a roof. I'm not  fan of the roofs as well, but when the conditions are insane, its more fair to play under the roof than moonballin, even if you don't want to, on the wind conditions.

TOMMY HAAS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #692 on: September 09, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »

thats why ultimately, you need to have a roof. I'm not  fan of the roofs as well, but when the conditions are insane, its more fair to play under the roof than moonballin, even if you don't want to, on the wind conditions.

That would remedy the situation only if the weather cooperates like it did this year: it only affected the final Saturday. Going back to what I said earlier, wind would screw up all of the majors if the wind came in the first week. You can't build enough roofed stadiums.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #693 on: September 09, 2012, 03:14:29 PM »

That would remedy the situation only if the weather cooperates like it did this year: it only affected the final Saturday. Going back to what I said earlier, wind would screw up all of the majors if the wind came in the first week. You can't build enough roofed stadiums.

I agree, but its not everyday that these insane winds show up. At least circus matches like this SF wouldn't have happened.
Now imagine how Berdych must feel like. Having a great USO so far, working so hard to get where he got, and knowing he just can't adopt his game to such a terrible conditions, only to lose 90% because of it. After all he did say that wind mostly beat him.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:15:27 PM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #694 on: September 09, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
I totally believe him.

And... I have to accept that a roof would be a good idea  ;-()  I'm just glad the USTA decided to remodel the entire grounds first rather than pour money into a roof. From what I understand, because the way Ashe was designed, it doesn't sound like it will ever see a roof. They are building another large stadium. Right now, there are no plans to add a roof to it. I just wonder if they are building it in a way such that they could add a roof later.  :dunno:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #695 on: September 09, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
Here's something that you guys may not know. It's actually a topic discussed here and on all message boards.

The USTA prides itself on the Open being the toughest, most demanding of all the slams to win. At the Open, you face extreme weather changes (hot, humid, cold, rain, wind), night matches, the "New York crowd" (which has really been wussified since Ashe was built now that the rowdies sit a thousand miles from the action), and Super Saturday with the final on Sunday. It's for this reason they won't build a roofed stadium.

People say it's Roland Garros. People are wrong.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:36:19 PM by Babblelot »

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #696 on: September 09, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »
Heh from being totally sure its was RG before, I'm starting to change that opinion now  :)

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #697 on: September 09, 2012, 03:56:42 PM »
Here's something that you guys may not know. It's actually a topic discussed here and on all message boards.

The USTA prides itself on the Open being the toughest, most demanding of all the slams to win. At the Open, you face extreme weather changes (hot, humid, cold, rain, wind), night matches, the "New York crowd" (which has really been wussified since Ashe was built now that the rowdies sit a thousand miles from the action), and Super Saturday with the final on Sunday. It's for this reason they won't build a roofed stadium.

It is tough to win. So many players are good on hard courts so that alone makes it tough.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: OFFICIAL 2012 U.S. OPEN (MEN)
« Reply #698 on: September 09, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »

It is tough to win. So many players are good on hard courts so that alone makes it tough.

That's a really good point.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #699 on: September 09, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »
Apparently DJoker was able to dismantle 'The Wall' today, using a wall of his own.
There should be an * beside his win because if they'd continued the match yesterday Ferru would have cleaned clock in straights.... :whistle:
not sure about that bud. Novak tends to play stupid once in a while.  didn't he lose a set to Dodig last year at the AO, when he was dominated and then just brain farted a set.

He is actually a pretty good player in windy conditions.

Anyway, solid Nole today. the final should be so much fun. I can hardly wait.
Surely you know I was teasing! :)~
I leave match result predictions to the professional fanboys. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!