Author Topic: OFFICIAL 2012 U.S. OPEN (WOMEN)  (Read 9164 times)

Offline no_1_djoko_fan

• Tennis Player
Re: OFFICIAL 2012 U.S. OPEN (WOMEN)
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Well done to Serena. Azarenko ran her extremely but Williams showed the fighting spirit and determination to succeed that all legends are made of. Her Grand Slam record is incredible and she has to go down as a great. It's a shame that as a person she fails to get the same credit.
"Sometimes it feels like you're not on a tennis court, the amount of noise you guys produce and for us it's a great feeling. It's a pleasure playing in front of you. It's my great privilege to be standing here in front of one of the greatest players ever, Rod Laver. "

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:27 AM »
Funny thing, Alex, I didn't much notice Vika. She must have been on her best behavior or the March was too good.  :dunno:
As I said Babs, I simply didn't see the match and I refuse to watch her matches. it's good if she 'behaved' but I doubt it. I watched some of her interviews and I have to admit that she seems to be a very smart pretty young lady. However, as I mentioned earlier, I tried watching the Azarenka/Sharapova match and I gave up after like 5 minutes. I thought Sharapova is bad but Azarenka is out of this world.

I tried to tone down my TV, but I love to hear the ball and the crowd. It just doesn't work for me.
Please don't tell anyone, but The Chief and I watched the last 2 sets.  With the volume set on normal.  Apparently our support for Serena drowned out the screeching from Aza.  As much as I condemn some of Serena's character flaws (much like Andy (not Murray)), I still support her.  How nice to see her lift the cup yet again!  Who knows how many slams she would have won if she were truly committed to tennis. :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2012, 12:09:50 PM »
The WTA will remain in the debt of the Williams sistas for all time.. In their absence the likes of Sharapova, Azarenka, Ivanovic, Errani, who are all fine players in their own right, would pass as the best, while in actuality, they are nowhere near as good.. The day these girls hang up their racquets, women's tennis will lose 2 of its most compelling champions.. The Goddess reigns..
Some athletes are happy to be the best in one sport - there are others who are not satisfied until they have played/worked different sports/roles at the highest level.. Whatever the Williams sistas choose to engage in, post-tennis, they will definitely be one thing - successful..

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2012, 06:57:41 PM »
But at age 30...Serena didn't win just ONE slam...what she has done (to me) is rescue the WTA. Remember just last year when Caroline was ranked #1 and could not win the big ones, and a lot of folks were saying the WTA was a joke and a lot of folks were not watching, etc.

Well look at the summer Serena has! In a span of about 2 months, she won Wimbledon (singles and doubles), the Olympics (singles and doubles), a premiere hard court title, and now the US open - ALL at the age of 30. Even Pete didn't do that.

But now - a lot of folks are respecting the WTA players again. sure Serena had help with Victoria and Maria - but even these 2 players haven't beaten her in this stretch.

I think what she has done - particularly after what she went through health wise last year - is nothing but amazing! And I'm proud of her.

And if some are saying Vika "donated" this slam to Serena - then Serena "donated" the 2nd set to Victoria!

Many times tennis championships are not just won on the court - they are won between the ears. Serena WON this championship with her "never quit" attitude, particular against Vika - hence her 10-1 record against her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serena has had a terrific year. If she could have held her emotions in check against Razzano, she would have had a memorable year. Her dominance started on the clay court not on the grass.
I lost the will to live mid way through the first set!
 ~*Supernova*~   from wtaworld.com

Victoria Azarenka d. Kaia Kanepi 7-6(5) 6-3
May 7, 2009

Offline jb08668

• Tennis Player
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2013, 01:20:27 AM »
I really wasn't sure if I'd ever see Serena hold that cup again. What a win! The Williams sisters have meant so much to women's tennis over the past decade. The real question is, do you think we'll ever see either of them win on a major tennis court surface again?

Online Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »
I really wasn't sure if I'd ever see Serena hold that cup again. What a win! The Williams sisters have meant so much to women's tennis over the past decade. The real question is, do you think we'll ever see either of them win on a major tennis court surface again?

It's possible, not too many good players.