Author Topic: OFFICIAL 2012 U.S. OPEN (WOMEN)  (Read 8353 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: OFFICIAL 2012 U.S. OPEN (WOMEN)
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2012, 06:32:24 PM »
That was a good match, vastly different styles and anyone could have won.  :king:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
OFFICIAL 2012 U.S. OPEN (WOMEN)
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2012, 07:14:24 PM »
That was a good match, vastly different styles and anyone could have won.  :king:

But Serena did win! Coming back from being down 3-5 in that 3rd set!!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »
In spite of all that Serena has accomplished this year - she still isn't the #1 ranked player - go figure!

Did she not play much this year???
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2012, 07:34:03 PM »
She's played a lot this year, but remember - she didn't play any after the US open last year - so from now on through the end of the year, all she will be doing is gaining points.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
Oh, yeah, she was mostly defending points from last year.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2012, 09:17:44 PM »
The mind is what separates the champions. Vika made 5 errors serving for the match and got broken at love.

How is she going to hold serve now at 5-6??? :dunno:

Doesn't help that she is without a serve that can earn her free points. Vika should be a better offensive player than what she is. She is very "Andy Murray-esqe" with that passive aggressive tennis. :yuk Once Serena realized she should keep the ball in play, the match turned back in her favor. Serena took something off her ground strokes when she should have taken something off of her 1st serves. She tried to serve 120mph+ on all of her 1st serves.

All in all, it was an entertaining match.
I lost the will to live mid way through the first set!
 ~*Supernova*~   from wtaworld.com

Victoria Azarenka d. Kaia Kanepi 7-6(5) 6-3
May 7, 2009

Offline rsosa92

• Tennis God
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »
Azarenka played the most horrible championship game

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2012, 01:18:12 AM »
Serena earn her number one ranking beating Azarenka in a very close third set finisher.  Now all she has to do is earn 7 more singles grand slams to match Steffi Graf's 22.  Then she will be tied with her!  She is 31 now so if she can win 2 a year that around 4 years more.  She will be in her mid-30s if she stays on the tour.  But if I were Serena; I just take three years total; play only the slams and try to win them all!

Offline mjjeyes

• Tennis Player
  • Serena Forever
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2012, 01:26:44 AM »
Serena played the worst set and a half in a while. 45 unforced errors speak louder than words. I can't believe she still won with such stats! True Champion!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:38 AM »
Happy for Serena. didn't see the match, as I refuse to watch Azarenka and her screaming. I can' t stand her. I will never ever watch her matches. tennis won today.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2012, 03:51:33 AM »
azarenka deserved to win more........serena was totally off in the final and vika took advantage of it and neared the finish line serving for the championship but then decided to donate the slam all of a sudden........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2012, 04:03:37 AM »
azarenka deserved to win more........serena was totally off in the final and vika took advantage of it and neared the finish line serving for the championship but then decided to donate the slam all of a sudden........
if she deserved to win she should have won. I don't understand how any of you can watch that scream  fest.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2012, 07:45:12 AM »
......All in all, it was an entertaining match.
Yes it was! Having been unable to watch any tennis for a few days, I watched this one.  When VA took the initiative & played a more aggressive game, SW became unsettled and defensive, her timing off & the serve inconsistent. VA took advantage of SW's implosion.
But what superb belief from SW & to take the match by the throat when it mattered.  It showed the mettle of the woman. Very well done to her.  Her achievements this year to date are remarkable : Wimbledon champion, Singles & doubles Olympic champion & USO champion.  The only player male or female to win the USO title after the age of 30. Good stuff.

My doubles favourites Errani & Vinci won the title, which is an excellent outcome for them. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:00:31 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2012, 08:38:05 AM »
Sampras won the title in 2002 aged 31.. Nevertheless, this is an awesome achievement from the best female tennis player on the planet..

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »
Funny thing, Alex, I didn't much notice Vika. She must have been on her best behavior or the March was too good.  :dunno:

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »
Sampras won the title in 2002 aged 31.. Nevertheless, this is an awesome achievement from the best female tennis player on the planet..

Ah! I see! Thanks for the correction, Propstoart - Sampras is an incredible champion & it doesn't surprise me that he achieved it. I thought I'd read / heard it was "after the age of 30" - it must have been 31.

Carpe Diem

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2012, 10:21:34 AM »
But at age 30...Serena didn't win just ONE slam...what she has done (to me) is rescue the WTA. Remember just last year when Caroline was ranked #1 and could not win the big ones, and a lot of folks were saying the WTA was a joke and a lot of folks were not watching, etc.

Well look at the summer Serena has! In a span of about 2 months, she won Wimbledon (singles and doubles), the Olympics (singles and doubles), a premiere hard court title, and now the US open - ALL at the age of 30. Even Pete didn't do that.

But now - a lot of folks are respecting the WTA players again. sure Serena had help with Victoria and Maria - but even these 2 players haven't beaten her in this stretch.

I think what she has done - particularly after what she went through health wise last year - is nothing but amazing! And I'm proud of her.

And if some are saying Vika "donated" this slam to Serena - then Serena "donated" the 2nd set to Victoria!

Many times tennis championships are not just won on the court - they are won between the ears. Serena WON this championship with her "never quit" attitude, particular against Vika - hence her 10-1 record against her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 10:22:36 AM by Dallas »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
Funny thing, Alex, I didn't much notice Vika. She must have been on her best behavior or the March was too good.  :dunno:
As I said Babs, I simply didn't see the match and I refuse to watch her matches. it's good if she 'behaved' but I doubt it. I watched some of her interviews and I have to admit that she seems to be a very smart pretty young lady. However, as I mentioned earlier, I tried watching the Azarenka/Sharapova match and I gave up after like 5 minutes. I thought Sharapova is bad but Azarenka is out of this world.

I tried to tone down my TV, but I love to hear the ball and the crowd. It just doesn't work for me.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2012, 11:45:36 AM »
Sunday, September 9, 2012
Serena Williams has pulled off plenty of dramatic wins over her long career, but none of her 14 Grand Slam victories in finals came close to her 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 heart-stopping win over No. 1 Victoria Azarenka to capture the 2012 US Open crown.

None of the final-round foes that she beat has ever served for a match against her in a third set or was two points from winning the contest up 5-3. None were as confident as the hard-hitting Belarussian was deep in the match when she felt like she was out-playing Williams from the baseline.

But as one of Serena’s coaches, Patrick Mouratoglou, said, when Azarenka came off of her chair to serve for the match in front of a sold-out raucous crowd at 5-4, Williams knew she had to stand up tall one last time. She had lost her rhythm off the ground for almost all of the second set and a good portion of the third, and Azarenka was returning beautifully and more than staying with her off the ground.

It was Serena who had fought the good fight in 18 Grand Slam singles finals before Sunday afternoon, while Azarenka had only played in one. As impressive as Azarenka was in wasting Maria Sharapova in the 2012 Australian Open final and out-gutting both defending US Open champion Samantha Stosur and 2006 champion Sharapova in the 2012 US Open quarterfinals and semifinals, she had never had to shut the door on the sport’s most accomplished woman over the past 15 years in her home-country Slam.

“When she really needed it, her tennis came back,” Mouratoglou said. “I’ve never seen it in a match before. I was sure that Vika was going to miss one or two shots and that Serena was going to go for the winners. She wasn't in the second set, her body weight was going back, she wasn't moving, and that’s not her game at all. I knew with her mentality that she would go for her shots, and that's what she did."

Mouratoglou was right. Serena played smart, and the 23-year-old Azarenka was over-excited and committed four unforced errors to lose the game to 5-5.

Serena was very solid in holding to 6-5, and then while Azarenka battled gamely in the final game of the match, she netted a backhand while holding game point, then hit a forehand long and, on match point, was forced into a forehand error.

Azarenka admitted that when she came off the chair to serve for the match at 5-4, she knew Serena would fight her tooth and nail.

“There was no other choice for her to do. In the back of my mind, I had that coming," Azarenka said. "So that maybe was a little bit of hesitation for me. But I have to say Serena produced some amazing tennis. I feel like I could have done a little bit better, but there was nothing that I did absolutely wrong.”

She didn't do anything wrong, as it’s very common for younger stars not to be able to seize every important moment. Serena has been very unusual  in her ability to do so, which is why she’s won 15 of the 19 Grand Slam finals she’s contested. That's an incredible winning percentage and right there with any other legend.

“Her parents created a machine,” Mouratoglou said. “You just have to show her how to use the key of the machine, and if she turns it, on she’s the best player in the world.”

Serena has contested a three-set final before in a major back in 2003 at the Australian Open, when she completed her “Serena Slam” (winning her fourth consecutive major beginning with 2002 Roland Garros) in a 6-4 in-the-third-set win over Venus. Justine Henin pushed her hard at the 2010 Australian Open in a three-set loss. Venus took a set off her in the 2003 Wimbledon final, and so did Agnieszka Radwanska two months ago at the All England Club. But none of those players were two measly but really oh-so-very-large points away from victory like Azarenka was, up 5-3 in the third set.

“Nothing is more exciting than winning such a tight match in a Grand Slam final,” Serena said. "I wonder if I have had one this tight. I'm not sure.”

Surely not.

Serena notched her first victory in her brilliant Slam career back in  1999 at the US Open, when it was supposed to be her older sister Venus who would win the first title in the family. Venus lost to 1997 champion Martina Hingis in a marathon semifinal, and then Serena got a measure of revenge for the family when she defeated Hingis, 6-3, 7-6. In 2001, Venus took her down, 6-2, 6-4, and she wept tears of anguish, but the next year, she came back to New York and turned the tables on Venus, 6-4, 6-3, in the final and wept tears of joy. She wouldn't return to the final until 2008, when she overcame Jelena Jankovic, 6-4, 7-5, in a very entertaining match. Last year, Stosur stunned her, 6-2, 6-3, in a match where she lost her temper and then form.

On Sunday, Serena was quite calm, even when she was framing balls well wide and long for patches. She just hung in there until her form returned, and sometimes that’s all a player can do.

“I think I competed really well,” Serena said. “I never stopped competing, no matter what, and I think sometimes if you can just go out and compete, then you can continue to do well.”

Serena now owns 15 Grand Slam singles titles, which puts her three behind two other U.S. legends, Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova, seven behind the great Steffi Graf and nine behind the irrepressible Margaret Court.

She says that she is pumped up to play more and add to her title count. The fourth-ranked Williams is committed to playing the WTA Premier tournament in Beijing in October, as well as the WTA Championships in Istanbul, which if she does well, may bring her back to the No. 1 ranking by year’s end. Just because she is 30 years old and has been playing pretty much full time since 1998 doesn't mean that she is ready to take it easy. Even to a 15-time Grand Slam champion, winning can be addicting.

“My motivation is so up there,” she said. “I'm so motivated to just stay focused. I just feel like I'm ready for the next tournament. I really want to be focused and do well there and just keep the dream alive."

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2012, 11:46:22 AM »
Q.  You played a great match out there today.  I mean, at the end you really looked absolutely devastated.  Did you feel like you just let this one get away?  What are your thoughts?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Yes, as you mentioned, you know, I think it was a great match.  Being so close it hurts deeply to know you don't have it, you're close, you didn't get it.  But at this moment, you know, I have no regrets.  I felt like I gave it all there, you know.  Could it have gone my way?  Probably, yes.  But it didn't.  It really, really hurts.  You know, those emotions come out and you feel sad, but it's time to really realize what happened today.  You know, it was a great match.  It was close but not for me.

Q.  There are a lot of positives.  Getting to a Grand Slam final in and of itself is such a remarkable accomplishment.  You can look back on the summer as maybe a breakthrough summer for you.

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Definitely.  It's a great achievement, there is no doubt.  It's kind of difficult to sink everything in at this particular moment, because right now I feel sad.  I feel proud of myself in one way, but still sad.  But in few days when I go home, you know, I'll be more than happy, you know, with the summer.  I think I'm in pretty good shoes, you know, sitting here as a finalist of the US Open actually for my first time.

Q.  Is it possible to explain how tense you were feeling at the end?  Looked like every single point was so important.

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Yeah, it was.  At this moment it feels like there is no room for a mistake, you know.  There is no room for a wrong decision.  So it's absolutely tense and so close that you feel like you have to know what you're doing, you know.  You have to be confident.  You have to trust yourself.  I did.  I really did.  It just felt like a few shots were just, you know, really close or at the top of the net.  But I have to be positive, you know, because I feel like these kind of matches ‑‑ every time I play Serena, it really pushes to be better, to improve, to move forward.  I have to be thankful to her for that, you know, as well.

Q.  Early on it was not going your way.  You had said you have to do something different.  What did you do to really turn the tide of that in the second set?  It was an amazing sort of switch that you were able to pull off.

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  I felt like I was returning much better.  I was preparing my opportunities to dictate, not let her dictate.  So that was important, to kind of make sure that no matter what the score is, no matter how good Serena is gonna play, I have to stay alert, and when I have opportunity to make sure that I'm on it.  And I really did that today.

Q.  You never played a Grand Slam final before this year.  You produced some of your best tennis in these two Grand Slam finals against Sharapova and Serena, both of whom had won Grand Slam titles before.  What do you think it is about your personality that allows you to bring out this best tennis at these most important matches moments?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Well, I'm not too bad of a player, I think, right?  So when you play at these stages you don't expect anything else.  You know, you have to come out and show your best tennis.  There is no stepping back.  There is last match.  You know, as important as semifinals or quarterfinals, every round you play, the final round is always going to be the most important all the time.  All those high stakes, I feel like when the task is more difficult for me it's more exciting.  You know, I don't know, that fear, adrenaline is coming, something that you never experienced before, you know, you have to stand tall and just face it.  So I feel like this brings the best out of me, you know, those conditions, that motivation that I have to produce absolute best.

Q.  You were winning most of the baseline rallies in the second set and the third set.  When you came off your chair at 5‑4 to serve for the match, did you feel like, Yes, this is in my control; I can do it, or did the nerves just kind of get to you?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Well, it was both.  It was definitely a lot of self‑belief in myself, but I felt like there was just too many one‑, two‑shot rallies that didn't allow me to grind it a little bit, you know, the way I like it, and not really make me feel in control at that particular moment.  I felt like I didn't create enough a little bit myself.

Q.  Did you also feel like in that game when you served for it that she would definitely step up and play well?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Well, there was no other choice for her to do, so, yeah, in the back of my mind I had that coming.  So that maybe was a little bit of hesitation for me.  But I have to say, you know, Serena produced some amazing tennis.  I feel like I could have done a little bit better, but there was nothing that I did absolutely wrong.

Q.  Great tournament.

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Thank you.

Q.  You were talking about how Serena pushes you every time.

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Yeah.

Q.  What makes her so great?  Is it the serve?  The mental part?  Can you break it down for us?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Well, the serve is definitely the biggest asset, you know.  If you look in both of our games, it's the biggest difference, you know, if you take it simple.  And the mental, you know, she never gives up.  You know, she's a great champion.  She knows how to play.  I don't know.  But definitely the serve is what stands out the most out of all the game, you know, assets.  But she's definitely the toughest player mentally there is, and, you know, she's got the power.

Q.  And mentally when she was making her push back in the third set, what went through your mind on the mental side in terms of, Here comes Serena?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  I didn't think about that.  I just tried to stay focused on myself, you know, because that's what was helping me throughout the whole match, you know, to try to be focused on what I have to do.  Of course being aware of what she's going to do against me, but mostly trying to stay focused on my execution.

Q.  I want to ask you, going back to something you said a few answers ago where you thanked Serena for the way she pushes you and makes you strive to play better.  You said something to that effect during the awards ceremony out on the court.  If you could elaborate on that.  You've played 11 times and she's beaten you 10 times.  Do you really feel grateful for having her in the game in your era and that she does bring that out in you, your best?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Well, hell, yeah; but in the other way, if she wasn't there, I mean, I probably would have won more titles.  (Laughter.)

Q.  That's my question, because some people would resent the other player.

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Yeah, but I will not take anything back.  I think she's brought ‑‑ for me she's the greatest player of all time.  She took the game to the next level.  As I said before, she makes me all the time to make sure that I'm taking my game, my personality, my physical aspect to the next level.  So, you know, having few of the players like that in the women's tour right now is something priceless, you know, something that you cannot take away.  It's the people who, you know, like Maria, like Petra those kind of girls, they always push me to be better.  I mean, it's great opportunity, so I have no regret.  Today I was close.  I'm going to have for sure another opportunity to make something better.  That's what I'm looking for.

Q.  You're a very positive person.  I know you have taken positives away from this match.  How eager are you to return to the practice court and then play Serena again?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Well, I'm not going tomorrow or after tomorrow.  Trust me on that.

Q.  Why not?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  (Laughter.)  Well, because I feel like I deserve a little bit of rest.

Q.  I'm kidding.

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  You know, I feel like I always try to improve everything in my game.  I improved a lot my serve, which was a bigger gap between me and Serena, for sure.  So definitely physical aspect that I would like to step another level, because I feel like there is a lot of room of improvement.  Now the game becomes so physical that you have to keep pushing yourself.  Serena shows a lot of people how important it is right now.

Q.  Before the match, Agassi was talking about the sound of the crowd and how it sounds like a jet plane and a heartbeat, all this stuff.  You were in the middle of that cauldron and you were focusing on your game, but what does it feel like to be in a US Open final on that stage?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  It's amazing, absolutely.  I feel like I'm in a place that I belong, you know.  It's something that you will never be able to describe really with words, because that feeling that you get, that energy, you know, that something special, all eyes on you waiting for you to serve or return or see what you're gonna do, it's absolutely incredible.  It's something that, I don't know, we wake up every day for, you know, to feel that incredible atmosphere.  You know, I mean, no words describe.  It was not for me most of the time, because fair enough, but it was incredible.

Q.  After one of the crazy points, I think it was in the second set, you actually smiled to the crowd and looked happy.  Is it possible actually to have fun in a Grand Slam final?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Oh, it was a lot of fun.  Maybe wasn't showing on my face expression, but it was a lot of fun.  It was great, you know, to be out there for ‑ I don't know how long we played, two hours‑something ‑ that special moment.  It was absolutely fun.

Q.  You talked about your now‑famous grandmother.  When you get a personal moment just to share the personal side of this, what will you say about this great effort which just fell short in this drama?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Well, I just got a message from my family, and they said, We love you.  So I don't need any other words to feel from them.  That's the most important.

Q.  The spirit between you and Serena on the court afterwards was very nice.  It was a nice scene.  Can you speak a little bit about your energy with her.

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Well, we never had a problem with each other.  I truly admire her as a person, as a tennis player.  But I feel like, you know, there goes beyond just a tennis player when you connect with somebody.  Absolutely I admire her.  It was honest feelings, you know.  I congratulated her with all my heart because I felt like she absolutely deserved the win, you know.  She was the best player out there today.

Q.  Were you planning any special dances or celebration in case you won?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  I got my moves.  I don't need to do the special dances.  When I win, I'll do it.  But what's important to prepare when you didn't win?  (Laughter.)  I can dance all my night today.

Q.  Obviously you came at her in the second and she showed some fragility.  Things were breaking down a little bit for her.  Were you surprised by that?  Because she's known for being so strong.  Or is that understandable in the moment with everything?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Well, she's a human being, you know, who has two feet, two legs, you know, two hands.  It's understandable.  Plus, you know, I felt like I came up to do something different to provoke those opportunities.  It wasn't something, Oh, I'm going to...  she will start to miss, because that will never happen, really.  I felt like I provoked her and I was just trying to stay in that moment to make sure that I keep it rolling.

Q.  After the first set, were you sure that at some point in the second set, yes, I'm going to find my game?  Yes, I'm going to get this match and it's going to be close or I have a chance of winning it?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Well, of course, otherwise I would just pack my bags and go home, seriously.  I feel every time I play I had this great advice from one very special person that said, When there is still a point, you always have a chance.  So I always have that mindset.

Q.  Who was that special person that gave you that advice?

VICTORIA AZARENKA:  Can I keep it to myself?  (Laughter.)  Thank you.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports