Author Topic: Andy Roddick to retire after U.S. Open  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Andy Roddick to retire after U.S. Open
« on: August 30, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »
NEW YORK Andy Roddick, the top American man for the last decade, and the last American man to win a Grand Slam event, will retire from tennis after the U.S. Open.

"I have decided that this is going to be my last tournament," Roddick said. "I don't know if I'm healthy enough or committed enough to continue another year.

"For 13, 14 years, I was invested fully. I have been pretty good about keeping my nose to the grindstone. I feel like I've won a lot of matches by being consistent."

Roddick flashed a bright smile as he made his announcement, and to the question, What will you miss most, he said, "All you guys."

And the media no doubt will miss Roddick, one of the wittiest, sharpest tennis players in the pressroom.

Roddick has 32 career ATP World Tour titles, including two this season. The biggest came in 2003 at the U.S. Open. He has four doubles titles. He reached No. 1 in the world for the first time in November 2003, becoming the youngest American (21 years, 3 months) to end the year at No. 1 (2003).

He is a three-time Wimbledon finalist (2004-05, '09), losing to Roger Federer each time. The 2009 final ended 16-14 in the fifth set.

Roddick also owns 33 Davis Cup victories, second in U.S. Davis Cup history, and he helped lead the USA to a Davis Cup title in 2007.

Roddick is married to model and actress Brooklyn Decker, and he even made a cameo appearance in her recent movie, Just Go With It.

Roddick, who has battled injuries in the last couple of years, including this year, said he felt it coming.

"Walking off at Wimbledon, I felt like I knew," he said. "I don't want to disrespect the game by coasting home."

Roddick is scheduled to play Friday night against Bernard Tomic.

"I wanted an opportunity to say goodbye. I hope I'm sticking around," he said.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/story/2012-08-30/us-open-andy-roddick/57442986/1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sad news  :Confused:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
Re: Andy Roddick to retire after U.S. Open
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »
depressing  :(

love Andy, way too early but if his body is breaking down then there is not much else he can do

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »
Larry Stefanki knows how to end careers. Gonzo now Roddick.
I lost the will to live mid way through the first set!
 ~*Supernova*~   from wtaworld.com

Victoria Azarenka d. Kaia Kanepi 7-6(5) 6-3
May 7, 2009

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »
he will be back.

exos and seniors tennis.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: Andy Roddick to retire after U.S. Open
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »

What? 

That's the first thing I read from you in 10 months LOL
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:41:09 PM »
First thing I've posted in 10 months.

Larry begins working with Gonzo in late 2006. He has that amazing AO run and great 2007.  The following year you start to see the Gonzo  fall apart. He splits with Larry has a little bit of resurgence before falling victim to a host of injuries.  4 years later retired

Larry moves on to Roddick in late 2008. Roddick has a great 2009 and plays arguably his best match in the Wimbly Final against. The following year Andy starts falling apart. He splits with Larry and hires Pat. He has a nice bounce back before falling to nagging injuries and illness.  4 years later retired.

May 7, 2009

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 09:07:58 PM »

Larry begins working with Gonzo in late 2006. He has that amazing AO run and great 2007.  The following year you start to see the Gonzo  fall apart. He splits with Larry has a little bit of resurgence before falling victim to a host of injuries.  4 years later retired

Larry moves on to Roddick in late 2008. Roddick has a great 2009 and plays arguably his best match in the Wimbly Final against. The following year Andy starts falling apart. He splits with Larry and hires Pat. He has a nice bounce back before falling to nagging injuries and illness.  4 years later retired.

Glad to see you back!  Hope you stay around!

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »
Goodbye to the Great Southern Ape. We'll never see a serve that big again from a 6'2" guy.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 11:19:11 PM »
Andy did it with style!  He time it well - along side that of Cluster!  His press conference was electric.  People will remember that press conference.  10 years of being the sole tennis player for the U.S. against the backdrop of arguably the greatest generation of tennis players in the game at once.  Plus, he seems to do it at his choosing which not a lot of people can do these days.  They always try to hang on!

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 02:16:02 AM »
 :shocking:   ;>) ;>) ::))11 :depressed: :Sad-Bye:

Aww man, never expected this to happen so soon..:(

i woke up at 4.3 am this morning to watch RF & i saw his press conference..:O

damn u roddick, why did u have to be so cool ?? :Confused: :Confused:

miss you.:(. thanks for the wonderful memories..

now i hope tiger tim's prediction comes true.. :Confused:

to Stefanki : stay away from fed, rafa & Nole !!! :)>>>> :)>>>>
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »
Bummer indeed, he has been good for tennis.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »
Wow, not pulling any punches are you?
I personally don't think Stefanki did much more than stabilize Andy (not Murray) for the final leg of his career.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »
he has a killer wife........well done rod.......who cares about trophies when you have achieved in personal life what fedoriva, nadull, faker and mugray never achieved and will never achieve........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 07:57:43 PM »
I personally don't think Stefanki did much more than stabilize Andy (not Murray) for the final leg of his career.

It's the style of play he instituted that ended their careers. Both players were offensive-minded/ end the point quickly before Stefanski came. Once they started working with him, they became semi-counterpunchers. They had great results initially, but all of that grinding caused leg injuries to both players. They were too "old" physically to incorporate that style of play.

May 7, 2009

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

God this is some stupid s**t! Where are you copying and pasting this from...and stop!  :lmao!:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 07:48:52 AM »

It's the style of play he instituted that ended their careers. Both players were offensive-minded/ end the point quickly before Stefanski came. Once they started working with him, they became semi-counterpunchers. They had great results initially, but all of that grinding caused leg injuries to both players. They were too "old" physically to incorporate that style of play.
Perhaps Andy (not Murray) will abandon the Stefanki Percentage Tennis Strategy for his final run here at the U.S.O.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
lets go andy. win 3 more matches.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 08:02:51 PM »

Actually, well before Stefanki, everyone criticized Roddick for being too defensive. Under Stefanki, he worked on solidifying his backhand and his net play...AKA having better shots so he could be more aggressive. And Roddick didn't struggle with leg injuries. He struggled with one knee injury, then sickness, then a shoulder injury, then a hip injury. And also, Roddick never dropped Stefanki as a coach, so your 'pattern' also makes no sense...

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:47:09 PM »
he also got brooklyn decker during that stint.......stefankie taught him how to get girls and hooked him up with her i believe........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
well done Andy  :)

going out by another GS champion..... not bad way to go

this year was great for Andy, winning 2 titles : on grass & american hard court (surfaces which brought him most of his success)
and beating Fed at MM was good stuff

enjoy good relaxed life  :)) Andy......