Author Topic: American Sweep of the US Open 2012?  (Read 950 times)

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
American Sweep of the US Open 2012?
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:54:19 PM »
So Serena Williams is a heavy favorite in women's singles. The Williams sisters also have an incredible chance of winning women's doubles, and even if they don't, the number 1 seed is also an all-American team. On the men's doubles side, the Bryan brothers have an excellent shot of winning.

So then men's doubles is left. Isner is playing really well, Fish is playing really well, Roddick is playing really well, and Querrey is showing potential to upset the 6 seed. So there is still a decent chance that an American might win men's singles. So, if these events line up, the Americans sweep the four main events of their home slam. Now, I haven't researched this...at all, but I assume that very well could be a first if it happened, and would certainly silence any critics about the state of American tennis.

So, thoughts? Do y'all think it's possible? Has it happened before, a country sweeping the main events of its home slam? Would it be cool, or just 'whatever'?

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Re: American Sweep of the US Open 2012?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »
Ah yeah, somehow neither Federer nor Djokovic is going to win the men's title? Stop smoking that crack son.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »
So Serena Williams is a heavy favorite in women's singles. The Williams sisters also have an incredible chance of winning women's doubles, and even if they don't, the number 1 seed is also an all-American team. On the men's doubles side, the Bryan brothers have an excellent shot of winning.

So then men's doubles is left. Isner is playing really well, Fish is playing really well, Roddick is playing really well, and Querrey is showing potential to upset the 6 seed. So there is still a decent chance that an American might win men's singles. So, if these events line up, the Americans sweep the four main events of their home slam. Now, I haven't researched this...at all, but I assume that very well could be a first if it happened, and would certainly silence any critics about the state of American tennis.

So, thoughts? Do y'all think it's possible? Has it happened before, a country sweeping the main events of its home slam? Would it be cool, or just 'whatever'?

That indeed would be cool, but the men's singles side will be tough to pull off.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
Yeah. Because they're the ONLY ones that can ever win majors.  ..-) Andy Murray proved that wrong by winning what was essentially Wimbledon Part 2. He beat Fed quite easily. And Djokovic didn't even win his bronze medal match.  ..-) And Roddick has already beaten Fed twice this year, and leads the head to head against Djokovic. Isner has also already beaten both Fed and Djoker this year. I am in no way saying the men's singles is on lock down. I clearly point out in my OP that it is the shakiest one. But it's definitely possible. So, instead of recklessly insulting me, how about you make sure you're at least SOMEWHAT informed about the possibilities next time? Thanks.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »
Yeah. Because they're the ONLY ones that can ever win majors.  ..-) Andy Murray proved that wrong by winning what was essentially Wimbledon Part 2. He beat Fed quite easily. And Djokovic didn't even win his bronze medal match.  ..-) And Roddick has already beaten Fed twice this year, and leads the head to head against Djokovic. Isner has also already beaten both Fed and Djoker this year. I am in no way saying the men's singles is on lock down. I clearly point out in my OP that it is the shakiest one. But it's definitely possible. So, instead of recklessly insulting me, how about you make sure you're at least SOMEWHAT informed about the possibilities next time? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!  :)

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »

Reply :

Ah yeah, somehow neither Federer nor Djokovic is going to win the men's title? Stop smoking that crack son.
The world awaits no genius

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 09:22:45 PM »
I'm an American but I hope that doesn't happen :innocent:  I'm cool with Serena winning...but I want Federer to win the men's title.  Don't care who win the men's double's... want the William Sisters to win the women's doubles.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 10:18:47 PM »

Reply :

He beat him in an exhibition and at Miami. Sure, the exhibition doesn't necessarily count. Federer didn't try his hardest. But neither did Andy. And if you watch, it's clear Fed didn't just lay down and let him win. They still both wanted to win. Just wouldn't put their bodies on the line or risk any injuries to do so.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »
I'm an American but I hope that doesn't happen :innocent:  I'm cool with Serena winning...but I want Federer to win the men's title.  Don't care who win the men's double's... want the William Sisters to win the women's doubles.
What a shocking revelation. :\
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
American Sweep of the US Open 2012?
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
What a shocking revelation. :

Well...what did you expect! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk