Author Topic: Green Tea!!! Update.  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Green Tea!!! Update.
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:43:30 PM »
There's been hundreds of studies on green tea and green tea extract which isolates the beneficial parts of the tea.

I like to take green tea extract(GTE) and put in my coffee.

Here's a few recent studies.

Donít forget to drink your green tea   
Friday, September 14, 2012. The journal Molecular Nutrition & Food Research published an article online on June 13, 2012 that suggests a beneficial effect on the brain for a polyphenol found in green tea known as epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG).
Yun Bai of the Third Military Medical University in Chongqing, China and colleagues cultured adult mouse hippocampal neural progenitor cells with varying concentrations of EGCG or no EGCG for 24 hours. "We proposed that EGCG can improve cognitive function by impacting the generation of neuron cells, a process known as neurogenesis," Dr Bai remarked. "We focused our research on the hippocampus, the part of the brain which processes information from short-term to long-term memory."
A significant increase in the number of neural progenitor cells was determined in cultures that received higher amounts of EGCG. Similar findings were obtained upon examination of the dentate gyrus area of the brain in adult mice that were treated with the compound.

The researchers then evaluated the effects of EGCG on memory and learning. "We ran tests on two groups of mice, one which had imbibed EGCG and a control group," Dr Bai explained. "First the mice were trained for three days to find a visible platform in their maze. Then they were trained for seven days to find a hidden platform."

The team observed a reduction in the amount of time needed to find the hidden platform in mice that received EGCG. "Our results suggest that EGCG enhances learning and memory in 4-month-old mice as shown by improvements in object recognition and spatial memory," the authors conclude.
"We have shown that the organic chemical EGCG acts directly to increase the production of neural progenitor cells, both in glass tests and in mice," Dr Bai stated. "This helps us to understand the potential for EGCG, and green tea which contains it, to help combat degenerative diseases and memory loss."

The authors remark that "Based on previous safety and pharmacokinetic studies, it is likely that a daily 1500Ė1600 mg bolus of EGCG in humans would achieve physiological levels similar to those in the sera of EGCG-treated (20 mg/kg) mice. Oral doses of similar magnitudes have been used in clinical trials, although EGCG has not been administered to humans on a regular basis."

"Green tea is a popular beverage across the world," Dr Bai noted. "There has been plenty of scientific attention on its use in helping prevent cardiovascular diseases, but now there is emerging evidence that its chemical properties may impact cellular mechanisms in the brain."

Three months of green tea extract results in reductions in inflammation, blood pressure and oxidative stress in obese men and women August 1, 2012. A report in the June, 2012 issue of Nutrition Research published the results of a double-blinded trial which found a benefit for supplementation with green tea extract on blood pressure, inflammation, oxidative stress and insulin resistance. "To the best of our knowledge, this is the first clinical trial performed on obese, hypertensive patients," announce authors Pawel Bogdanski and his colleagues at Polands Poznan University.

Fifty-six men and women with high blood pressure and a body mass index of 30 kg/m2 or more were randomized to receive a capsule containing 379 milligrams green tea extract or a placebo for three months. Blood pressure and serum levels of lipids, glucose, antioxidants, insulin and the inflammatory markers tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-a) and C-reactive protein (CRP) were measured before and after treatment.

At the end of the study, subjects who received green tea had improved insulin resistance, blood pressure, lipids, inflammation and total antioxidant status. Dr Bogdanski and his associates remark that green teas anti-inflammatory and antioxidant actions may explain its cardioprotective and blood pressure-lowering effects.

"The present findings demonstrate strong evidence for a beneficial influence of green tea extract supplementation on blood pressure, carbohydrate metabolism, and lipid profile, as well as on inflammation and oxidative stress, in patients with obesity-related hypertension," the authors write. "Further studies on a larger scale and with a longer duration of observation are needed to support our data and to explore their mechanistic basis."

And more interesting articles:

http://www.lef.org/whatshot/2012_08.htm
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:45:32 PM by swish »

Offline jb08668

• Tennis Player
Re: Green Tea!!! Update.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:07:31 AM »
I never thought that tea can also have nutritional benefits like mentioned above. I will start to drink green tea now.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:07:42 PM »
 :thumbs-up:

I do drink green tea. I made up (maybe not) my own reason for doing it. It really doesn't matter why so long as it keeps me drinking it.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »
:thumbs-up:

I do drink green tea. I made up (maybe not) my own reason for doing it. It really doesn't matter why so long as it keeps me drinking it.

Good Babb's.  :spot on: 

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
Looking for a morning brain boost? Forget coffee - green tea holds the key for men 
  • Research has shown it can help improve memory and cognition in men
  • Green tea is full of polyphenols, which widen blood vessels, speeding the supply of blood to the brain

Looking for a quick brain pick me up before work? Forget coffee - it seems green tea has the key.

A new study has found that the tea - already credited with providing a host of health benefits  - can help improve memory and cognition in men.
Researchers recruited 12 healthy men and divided them into two groups

One group was given a drink containing a green tea extract, while a second group was given a placebo drink without the extract.

Then, using an MRI machine, scientists studied the effects of the two drinks on the men's brains while they performed a memory test.

Compared to the placebo group, the green tea drinkers experienced an increase in the activation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, an area of the brain associated with working memory, which you need for problem solving and focus.

The results of the new study are reported in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Green tea is full of polyphenols, which widen blood vessels, speeding the supply of blood to the brain,  like EGCG, a strong anti-cancer chemical.

Researchers have found these health giving chemicals might be behind green tea's benefits.

Study co-author Stefan Borgwardt, of the University Hospital Basel, in Switzerland, said: 'Green tea may help prevent neurotransmitters involved in brain functioning, like dopamine and epinephrine, from degrading.
'It may also inhibit senile plaques from depositing in the brain, which impairs cognition.'

Other stuff:

Green tea helps burn fat by speeding up the metabolic rate
  It can help lower blood pressure by tackling an enzyme which triggers hypertension
  Green tea can help protect against diabetes, as it contains polyphenols which inhibit starch, and so can help lower blood sugar levels.
  It can help also prevent food poisoning as it can kill harmful bacteria
 The tea can also prevent bad breath by killing oral bacteria that cause cavities and bad breath.

Green tea guards against hepatitis by decreasing iron levels throughout the body, including those in the liver - the cause of viral hepatitis.
  The tea can protect against cancer as it contains a compound called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), which helps inhibit blood vessel growth.
It can help prevent arthritis, working in much the same way as anti-inflammatory drugs.

Gargling with the tea boosts immunity to influenza and flu, according to a study in Japan.
  A study also found 96 per cent of those who drank ten cups of green tea a day showed no signs of the cognitive impairment linked to Alzheimer's, compared to only 12 per cent who didn't drink green tea.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »
I drink my tea at 5 pm. True Brit.  :)~

Nahh I know how healthy tea is, its just I'm so lazy. Same goes for cigarettes, the other way around though.
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 10:08:31 PM »

Nahh I know how healthy tea is, its just I'm so lazy. Same goes for cigarettes, the other way around though.

A good book on smoking is "How to quit the easy way". For some it works very well.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »
Heard of it but I really don't need it. There are some days I don't need any cigarette and I could give it up whenever I can.
I just like to smoke some with beer and when out usually. Now reduced to only few a day, with exception when I go out drinking with friends..

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
Heard of it but I really don't need it. There are some days I don't need any cigarette and I could give it up whenever I can.
I just like to smoke some with beer and when out usually. Now reduced to only few a day, with exception when I go out drinking with friends..

The good news is that the polyphenols in green tea offer some protection against the bad effects of tobacco as shown in studies.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »

The good news is that the polyphenols in green tea offer some protection against the bad effects of tobacco as shown in studies.

Onto the tea then !!!!  :rofl_2: Mummy!! can I have some tea please! Nice.

TOMMY HAAS

Offline BarryW

• Tennis Player
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »
i like freen tea so much, always drink it in the mornings, sometimes it wakes me better than coffee, coz it has more caffeine than coffee.

Offline LonBrewingtonr

• New Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 03:03:37 AM »

Tea is healthy.. I drink twice..

Offline Benny

• Tennis Player
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 12:31:46 PM »
Green Tea is an alright beverage. Still, I admit I don't drink it often and stick with the more common teas.
"Never change a winning game; always change a losing one."
-Bill Tilden

Search List:
Muster vs Stich Davis Cup: Not yet obtained

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »
Green Tea is an alright beverage. Still, I admit I don't drink it often and stick with the more common teas.

I use high quality green tea extract, it's a powder.

It is very bitter so I mix it with my whey protein every day.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 11:26:50 AM »
i like freen tea so much, always drink it in the mornings, sometimes it wakes me better than coffee, coz it has more caffeine than coffee.

Once in awhile I make my coffee and then put a tea bag in the coffee.  :cool:

Offline Mark_S

• Tennis Player
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »

Once in awhile I make my coffee and then put a tea bag in the coffee.  :cool:

You're joking, right?  :)) that must taste really weird.
I like black teaa