Author Topic: Davis Cup Final - Czech Republic vs Spain [16-18 Nov 2012]  (Read 1561 times)

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
Davis Cup Final - Czech Republic vs Spain [16-18 Nov 2012]
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
16 Nov - 18 Nov 2012

It is a repeat of the 2009 final which Spain won comfortably 5-0, this time however the Czech Republic will be at home.

ROUTE TO THE FINAL:

Czech Republic:

4-1 Italy
4-1 Serbia
3-1 Argentina

Spain:

5-0 Kazakhstan
4-1 Austria
3-1 USA

Who do you think will win this time? What surface should the Czechs play on and what do you think the line-ups will be for both teams?

Do you think that Tomas can lead the Czechs to an upset victory if Rafa decides to play in the final?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:33:02 PM by oracle86 »
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Re: Davis Cup Final - Czech Republic vs Spain [16-18 Nov 2012]
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:44:53 AM »
czechies will probably use a fast indoor surface. i think they have a chance.
ferru has to lead the way for spain and make sure he gets 2 points.

no way nadal is going to be back this year.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 06:21:33 AM »
Yeah, the Berdych vs Ferrer match and the doubles match will be crucial.

Overall, Spain has the better and the more balanced side. But if Tomas can repeat his superhuman effort and win all 3 ties [both singles matches and the doubles match] like he did against Argentina, it would be an incredible win for the Czechs.

And yeah, fast indoor is the best choice perhaps. Do they have grass courts in Czech Republic? That could be an option too...
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:07:10 AM »
Thanks, Oracle86.  I watched some of the Czech / Argentina & Spain / USA matches.

Del Potro played well against Stepanek - a pity he had to stand back for the further matches.     

The Bryans totally out-classed Granollers / Garcia Lopez, and Isner fought well against both Almagro & Ferrer. 

Still, the result leads to an interesting final.  I'm not supporting either team, but would like to see Spain win it as that nice chap Ferrer is in it!

Carpe Diem

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
it will be on indoor hard courts.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:49:24 AM »

Agreed general.  And as fast as allowed. 

Lineups:
Spain:
Ferrer
Almagro
Lopez
Granollers
[Nadal] - would be extremely surprised to see him on fast hard even if healthy.

Czech Republic
Berdych
Stepanek
Rosol
Rest don't matter

Rosol is undefeated (3-0) in Davis Cup...but I only expect him to play if Nadal shows up, or a dead rubber, or someone is hurt.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Legends of Tennis

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 07:46:26 AM »
I wish the best for both teams.. What a dream it would be for the Czechs to win the DC, at home, beating the defending champs! Berdych just has to lead the line.. Win 3 matches.. Banking on Stepanek to win a singles match could be risky..
For Spain, Ferrer is key, and David being David, will give his 110%.. 'Deliciano' will be a dark horse in the tie, if the surface turns out as fast as expected.. If Spain win the first 2 singles matches, the Czechs would be hard pressed to mount a comeback, even with the home support..

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:47:19 AM »
Surface - indoor hardcourt
Venue - O2 Arena, Prague

Czech Republic host Spain in the Davis Cup Final in a repeat of the 2009 Final in which Spain came out on top in a one-sided affair at Palau Sant Jordi in Barcelona. Led by Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer, Spain got out the blocks quickly racing to a 2-0 lead and the trophy was won following Feliciano Lopez and Fernando Verdasco’s victory over Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek in the doubles.
The Czech side will be looking for revenge from that tie but have history mounted against them as they look for a first victory over Spain since playing under the flag of Czechoslovakia in 1971 and are currently on a three match losing streak against the top ranked Davis Cup nation. However, only once in the last six years has a nation managed to win the title playing away from home – that team being Spain who won in Argentina in 2008.
Czech Republic reached the Final thanks to victories against Italy and Serbia at home in the first two rounds followed by a tough trip to Parque Roca to defeat Argentina in the semifinal. Juan Martin del Potro had put the home side ahead in the first rubber with victory over Stepanek but two wins from Berdych either side of success in the doubles when the two Czech players combined for their 11th victory in twelve matches together in the competition turned the tie around. The title has not made its way to Prague since 1980 with this being only the second Final to feature the Czechs since that victory.
The absence of Rafael Nadal from the Spanish side has allowed other players a chance to shine, most notably Nicolas Almagro who is unbeaten in five singles rubbers through the year. Kazakhstan and Austria put up little fight against the Spain’s ever increasing unbeaten home record and although USA fought hard through four gruelling rubbers they too were brushed aside in part thanks to David Ferrer’s determination as he won marathon matches against both Sam Querrey and John Isner. Spain are looking for their fourth title in five years and their sixth overall having won the competition for the first time in 2000.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 09:50:22 AM by oracle86 »

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »

Agreed general.  And as fast as allowed. 

Lineups:
Spain:
Ferrer
Almagro
Lopez
Granollers
[Nadal] - would be extremely surprised to see him on fast hard even if healthy.

Czech Republic
Berdych
Stepanek
Rosol
Rest don't matter

Rosol is undefeated (3-0) in Davis Cup...but I only expect him to play if Nadal shows up, or a dead rubber, or someone is hurt.

Respectfully,
masterclass

f lopez has not played much lately general masterclass. i have a feeling that they might play nico almagro.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »
Almagro on a fast court is as useless as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 08:42:57 AM »
Almagro on a fast court is as useless as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.
:rofl_2: too good.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 01:01:23 AM »
herc and propstart: the Lopez on the team is Marc Lopez, not Feliciano Lopez. Feliciano is not on the team, which might turn out to hurt Spain since he's the only one with a winning record against Berdych on hard courts and has beaten him in their last two hard court encounters.

I think Spain's cards are plainly on the table. Ferrer is the backbone and they better hope the recent ATP WTF Doubles champions can bring their A game (they have a losing record in davis cup doubles and not too experienced either) or Almagro does something which he rarely does - win when it matters. Barring a surprise effort on Stepanek's part - which isn't out of the question, he's a crafty player and when on fire can produce some great tennis that can derail pretty much anyone on Spain's current team except maybe Ferrer - this will be Berdych's tie to carry. He needs to back up his trash talk and defeat Almagro and more important, probably have to defeat Ferrer in the reverse singles for Czech to win. And probably have to pitch in for a doubles victory too just to make triply sure.

Here's hoping for an exciting matchup!

Offline abcnorio

• Tennis Player
  • Love = Tennis
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »
Hey guys I have the 1st and 2nd rubber of this year's final posted under tennis videos. Sdede moved my post under "Year End Championships, London 2012 -Many Matches"

I try to have all the rubbers uploaded.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »
Czech Republic is 2-1 against Spain at the moment.

Friday 16 November 2012

R1 R. STEPANEK v D. FERRER 3-6 4-6 4-6

R2 T. BERDYCH v N. ALMAGRO 6-3 3-6 6-3 6-7(5) 6-3

Saturday 17 November 2012

R3 T. BERDYCH & R. STEPANEK v M. GRANOLLERS & M. LOPEZ 3-6 7-5 7-5 6-3

Hope Tomas seals the deal tomorrow.  :)>>>>

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 01:07:10 AM »
granollers and lopez are not going away.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 09:35:01 AM »
Damn, Tomas has lost to Ferrer in straight sets.  :( Kudos to Ferrer though - he really has had a stellar year.

Now, it's all about the final tie - Stepanek vs Almagro.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 11:13:41 AM »
Ferrer's a hero. But it's gut check time for Almagro here, Stepanek is a very crafty and interesting and annoying player who's perfect at throwing off monotony like Almagro's and can get underneath his skin and frustrate him. I love watching Stepanek play, here's hoping he can seal the deal and cap an amazing achievement.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 11:30:15 AM »
Come on Radek! one more set.....

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »
Looks like it might go 4 or 5.. who would we favor in that situation? Stepanek has played 3 days in a row and is a lot older than Almagro. But he has the crowd behind him and is less of a choker than Almagro.

Offline abcnorio

• Tennis Player
  • Love = Tennis
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 01:02:55 PM »
4th rubber up in the videos section, 5th rubber will be uploaded soon