Author Topic: A thought: Merge Indian Wells and Miami to a Indoor Grand Slam  (Read 908 times)

Offline someoneelse

• Tennis Player
A thought: Merge Indian Wells and Miami to a Indoor Grand Slam
« on: October 02, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »
Indian Wells and Miami is two ATP1000 tournaments after another with wery high salaries.
We have no indoor Grand Slams (Except rainy days on/in Wimbledon Centre Court :))

The tournaments would alter location every second year between California and Florida
and therefore be 2 weeks tournaments.

Desert and tropics is good enough for indoor tennis.

Thoughts ??

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:50:11 PM by someoneelse »

Offline someoneelse

• Tennis Player
Re: A thought: Merge Indian Wells and Miami to a Indoor Grand Slam
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »
I think one problem is that ATP donīt want to
lose control over two so importent tournaments!

Grand Slam tournaments are NOT ATP events.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:48:40 PM by someoneelse »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:10:33 AM »
No way Indian Wells is a perfect venue for spring tennis and should never leave the ATP schedule.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline someoneelse

• Tennis Player
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 03:19:28 AM »
Why sholdnīt it leave ATP if itīs
"No way Indian Wells is a perfect venue for spring tennis" ????????

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 02:09:04 PM »
I like it!!!

To be honest, I've always thought there should be 8 slams, 4 pairs of slams. Merge Indian Wells and Miami and split the difference: Memphis becomes the indoor slam paired with the AO. Newport is the logical choice for 2nd slam on grass. Of course, with it's history, Madrid gets paired with RG. I guess, throw Canada a bone and pair the Rogers Cup with the US Open. This begs the question: How many slams would Rafa, Nole, and Murray win? Poor Roger will be toast!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:10:11 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
Both Indian Wells and Miami would sue the ATP for all its got.

Remember the fiasco that ensued after Hamburg was stripped of its Masters status?

Indian Wells and Miami are the biggest Masters tournaments in the ATP Tour; both of them claim to be the "Fifth Slam". The consequences of dropping one or both of them would be enormous.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »
Not a good idea.

Larry Ellison has done a beautiful job at Indian Wells, it's the best run masters ever.

I don't want to see anything interfere with "Larry's" tournament.

Besides, Larry has 16 billion dollars so back off turkeys.  :)~

I'm a great admirer of Larry, he has a lot of varied interests that I follow.   :cool: :cool:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
A thought: Merge Indian Wells and Miami to a Indoor Grand Slam
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 09:55:55 AM »
Dumb idea that Babbs had! Lol 8 slams? Best of 5 in these events for the men? That would never fly. Lol

I would like to see the Master's finals go back to best of 5 (final only). Right now even though the 1000 events are worth more points, nothing really separate  them from a regular tournament.

Even the Olympics at least had a final where you played best of 5 and the Masters events are worth more than the Olympics.

I don't know what to say about the Newport event because they will never get the top players just because of the schedule -,being on grass AFTER Wimbledon. That sucks. That almost doomed Hamburg because now they can't get the top players any more either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline someoneelse

• Tennis Player
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
I would like to see the Master's finals go back to best of 5 to.
And all the other ATP tournaments should be able to choice
wether to play the finals in 3 or 5 sets again.

For example: I think it would be even harder to get
Federer to Stockholm if the final was 5 sets again.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 11:28:13 PM »
Never happen in these locations unless they made substantial improvements to equal that of other Grand Slam menus.  If Oracle's Larry Ellison invested $800 million more and added more tennis courts and expanded the entire area infrasturture in Indian Wells similar to Wimbledon then it will be possible to locate it there.   Land is cheap there; so it doable.  Florida's Key Biscayne does not have a wealthy backer however.   It would have to be Indian Wells or nothing.

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 09:40:49 AM »
I like it!!!

To be honest, I've always thought there should be 8 slams, 4 pairs of slams. Merge Indian Wells and Miami and split the difference: Memphis becomes the indoor slam paired with the AO. Newport is the logical choice for 2nd slam on grass. Of course, with it's history, Madrid gets paired with RG. I guess, throw Canada a bone and pair the Rogers Cup with the US Open. This begs the question: How many slams would Rafa, Nole, and Murray win? Poor Roger will be toast!!

Why belittle other countries or other CONTINENTS for that matter? I mean, I know this is all about money and about tv ratings and whatnot, but I just hate looking at the Calendar and see that Europe and US have 90% of the most important tournaments... There is not even ONE 1000 Masters in South America, I would cut down some of the numerous 1000 MS tournaments the US has and give a couple to South America, probably one in Argentina, another one in Chile/Brazil... Would love to see a Mexico Masters, but that's North America as well.. :))

US Master Tournaments:
- Cincy
- Indian Wells
- Miami
You can even count the Canada shield amonth these

and to finish it all you have the US Open.. that's way too many tournaments not to give one or a couple to South America... I have always though TENNIS itself is belittling the chances of hosting a Masters in this part of the Continent... You have had great players from these countries.. specially Argentina..

Your thoughts?

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
Mav, did you quote me because you think I took this topic seriously?!?!! 8 slams! Madrid's history!

Dallas?!

I guess the joke is on you two... :o

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 03:10:51 AM »
Mav, did you quote me because you think I took this topic seriously?!?!! 8 slams! Madrid's history!

Dallas?!

I guess the joke is on you two... :o
hehe... At first I thought you were only joking, but then again, you always post some "controversial" posts from time to time.. I don't know what to believe and what not with your posts :)

Offline someoneelse

• Tennis Player
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »
Hi mav140

I agree that itīs a little odd that South Amerika doesnīt
have more or higher ATP tournaments. Argentina is a
big power in tennis.

I hope the case is "show the money and they get the tournaments"

Regards

Peter

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
another thought: get rid of both the events and have another clay masters and a grass masters in place........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 11:47:34 PM »
ATP 500 starts in Rio from next year as preparation for 2016 Olympics. Who knows, that might become a Masters within 10 years?
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal