Author Topic: FEDERER ACHIEVES 300 TOTAL WEEKS AS WORLD NUMBER ONE  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
FEDERER ACHIEVES 300 TOTAL WEEKS AS WORLD NUMBER ONE
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:18:13 AM »
What a phenomenal achievement this is for Federer!  In the autumn of his game & career, to have regained the world number one ranking was, in itself, a quite remarkable feat.  And to take that achievement further by achieving this landmark record of total weeks as world number one is outstanding. Very well done & congratulations to the Maestro.

I liked this tribute to Federer by the ATP:

ROGER'S RECORD REIGN AT NO. 1
Federer Celebrates 300 Weeks As World No. 1
London, U.K.

by James Buddell

Roger Federer today begins his 300th week at No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings, a milestone that the Swiss believes is "probably one of my biggest accomplishments. I'm very proud of that record, no doubt about it."

So while all eyes are on the Race To London as players battle for year-end No. 1 honours and qualifying berths at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, today is a day to celebrate Federer and his enduring reign as World No. 1....

Pete Sampras, who previously held the record of 286 weeks at No. 1, and Ivan Lendl (270 weeks) were among the first to pay tribute to Federer. Sampras said, "It's an incredible achievement and accomplishment to be ranked No. 1 in the world for 300 weeks. It is a testament to his consistency at the top of the game for so many years."

Lendl said, "Being No. 1 is a special achievement and also an honour. Congratulations to Roger for being there for 300 weeks."

ATP World Tour Uncovered - Roger Federer 300 Weeks At No. 1

Ever since he arrived on the ATP World Tour as a 17 year old with an elegant all-court game, the tennis world had been preparing to witness greatness. Once Federer lifted his first major trophy at Wimbledon in 2003, which set him on the road to the pinnacle of the sport, his career has been about monumental achievement.

Being World No. 1 is so much a part of him and his game. "I always felt tennis [it] was easier for me playing as World No. 1 than actually getting there," he says. The statistics prove his theory.             

In his tenure, which first began on 2 February 2004, Federer has won 417 of his 469 matches (.889) and lifted 46 of his 76 career titles (.605). Without the World No. 1 ranking, Federer has gone 454-143 (.760) and captured 30 trophies.

Incredibly, he has lost no more than 10 matches as World No. 1 in any single season except 2008, when his record streak of 237 consecutive weeks at World No. 1 came to an end on 18 August, at the hands of his great rival Rafael Nadal.

Since February 2004, only two players have been able to wrestle the World No. 1 ranking away from Federer. By comparison, Nadal compiled a 140-22 mark (.864) and won 11 titles in his 102-week total stint at World No. 1, while Djokovic lifted four trophies and went 63-13 (.829) in his 53 weeks, which started on 4 July 2011.

"It's a great reward for me," said Federer at the Shanghai Rolex Masters. "I feel a great sense of satisfaction because of that incredible number and because of all the effort I've put into it. I know how much work it has been. It's not easy to stay at the top for so long and handle all the obligations that go with just playing tennis."

ATP Executive Chairman & President Brad Drewett remarked, "To have held the No.1 ranking on the ATP World Tour for 300 weeks is a phenomenal achievement, and quite simply unprecedented. The fact that Roger has been able to consistently re-write the record books over such a long period of time is a credit to his hard work, dedication and talent. We are extremely fortunate to have such an incredible champion at the top of our sport."

Few performers in any sport have given as much pleasure as Federer over the years.

One of the secrets of Federerís success is that he learned early on in his career never to under-estimate an opponent, regardless of their aptitude or his self-belief on any given surface. At 31, he continues to hold off his rivals.

Andy Murray, who recently won his first major title at the US Open, said, "It's his consistency that's been the most impressive thing. I hope when I'm 31 [that] I still have a lot of desire and [I am] still am trying to compete at the highest level.

"It's such a hard thing to do. He's been doing it now getting close to 10 years. That's very impressive in a sport as physical as this one to have done that."

Federer's enthusiasm for the sport is astonishing. Blessed with majestic movement,   
balance and a seemingly ageless body, he has managed his schedule carefully to ensure he continues to lead a golden era of menís professional tennis.

In his 300 weeks at World No. 1, spanning eight of the past nine seasons, he has earned worldwide respect for his genius and as a global ambassador for many causes.

After a decade of record-breaking achievement, it is hard to imagine the tennis world without him. He remains the ultimate scalp for any tennis player.

"It's extraordinary achievement - there is no doubt about it," said Djokovic. "There is no questioning his results and achievements. At 31, he's winning Grand Slams. He's always a favourite at any tournament he plays in."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/10/Features/Federer-300-Weeks-No1-Tribute.aspx

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:53:53 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Re: FEDERER ACHIEVES 300 TOTAL WEEKS AS WORLD NUMBER ONE
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »
Incredible, best sexi tennis!
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 07:45:25 AM »
Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova hold even better records.  SG has a total of 377 weeks as world number one, and MN 332 weeks.    I'm not a statistics watcher, but do find them interesting.  These figures & what they mean in the career of a top player is indicative of their consistency at the highest level, and in this regard, are noteworthy.   Graf & Navratilova remain the players to beat in this context.  Incredible. 
Carpe Diem

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:29:25 PM »
Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova hold even better records.  SG has a total of 377 weeks as world number one, and MN 332 weeks.    I'm not a statistics watcher, but do find them interesting.  These figures & what they mean in the career of a top player is indicative of their consistency at the highest level, and in this regard, are noteworthy.   Graf & Navratilova remain the players to beat in this context.  Incredible.

300 weeks at #1 on the ATP is like 500 weeks on the WTA.

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 03:23:56 AM »
Yeah, I do have to agree... Pete's record was the one to beat. And although I do have lots of respect for Steffi and Martina, you can't compare ATP with WTA.

I mean, what Martina and Steffi achieved is amazing and definitely an incredible achievement and wouldn't want to undermine WTA, but its a different story.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 12:53:19 PM »
Nothing wrong in comparing Federer with Graf and Navratilova. I mean, they are the 2 candidates for the GOAT in women's tennis and have achieved so many incredible records...  :cool:

Federer must feel proud to share ground with such legends of the game. Infact, he has broken almost all records in men's tennis that he might be probably looking upto Graf's 22 and Navratilova's 18 singles GS titles as his benchmarks.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »
Nothing wrong in comparing Federer with Graf and Navratilova. I mean, they are the 2 candidates for the GOAT in women's tennis and have achieved so many incredible records...  :cool:

Federer must feel proud to share ground with such legends of the game. Infact, he has broken almost all records in men's tennis that he might be probably looking upto Graf's 22 and Navratilova's 18 singles GS titles as his benchmarks.

Wrong wrong wrong.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »

Wrong wrong wrong.

ok  ..-)
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 08:07:16 PM »
If Graf's 22 slams was THE benchmark why did Federer cry so hard when he won his 14th and 15th?

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 07:22:47 AM »
If Graf's 22 slams was THE benchmark why did Federer cry so hard when he won his 14th and 15th?

Perhaps because he realised he won't be able to catch Graf's records!!       :rofl_2:

The point made above about Graf & Navratilova still being being the players to beat, relates to the global / overall record of which player, male or female, holds the record of most weeks as number one etc.  The answer to that question must be Graf, followed by Navratilova, with Federer in 3rd place.

There are other questions that stand on their own criteria - for example, which player in the ATP, which male player in the open era etc.
And Federer would obviously top the list in response to these.

Perhaps I've missed something, but the point made about Graf & Navratilova is not a difficult concept & is actually, pertinent. 

Carpe Diem

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »
I would hope those comparing men's and women's achievements are just being tongue-in-cheek or at worst are trolling to diminish or derail the thread topic. Of course one cannot compare records and achievements in the men's game and the women's game. Different leagues, different players, different set of records. And the records are obviously recorded and maintained separately. The only thing one can say is that each set of players has been tremendous in their own respective sectors of the sport.

Similarly, we cannot truly compare players even in the same league from different eras or generation in terms of their "greatness" even though the media and many people insist on doing so. Too many things have changed.  The most one can reasonably say is that each era's or generation's champions were the greatest of their time.  We can compare some of their records, but caution is needed even there. For example, pre-Open Era records are simply not valid in terms of the Open Era. Amateurs were competing in the majors and the best players were professional and barred from the slam events. Even after the Open Era began, the tour was composed differently before the 1990's and today.

One could say Esther Vergeer is the most dominant  player not only in the realm of tennis but maybe in all of professional sports.  She has won 26 Grand Slam singles titles and 27 Grand Slam doubles titles. Vergeer has been the world number one female wheelchair tennis player since 1999 (app. 675 weeks). In singles, she has not been beaten since January 2003 and is on a winning streak of close to 500 matches.  Does that make her great or perhaps the greatest in her realm? Obviously.  She deserves the highest praise for her accomplishments. Can one compare her records in the wheelchair league with the ATP or WTA or say she is "greater" than any of those players? Of course not. No need to compare. Her achievements, as the others, stand on their own.

As for the thread topic, congrats to Mr. Federer.  To get back to #1 and add to his total weeks at #1 with his main rivals of Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray at or closer to their peak may be one of his most remarkable achievements.  :not worthy:

Respectfully,
masterclass
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:29:36 AM by masterclass »
Legends of Tennis

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 03:29:49 AM »
I would hope those comparing men's and women's achievements are just being tongue-in-cheek or at worst are trolling to diminish or derail the thread topic. Of course one cannot compare records and achievements in the men's game and the women's game. Different leagues, different players, different set of records. And the records are obviously recorded and maintained separately. The only thing one can say is that each set of players has been tremendous in their own respective sectors of the sport.

Similarly, we cannot truly compare players even in the same league from different eras or generation in terms of their "greatness" even though the media and many people insist on doing so. Too many things have changed.  The most one can reasonably say is that each era's or generation's champions were the greatest of their time.  We can compare some of their records, but caution is needed even there. For example, pre-Open Era records are simply not valid in terms of the Open Era. Amateurs were competing in the majors and the best players were professional and barred from the slam events. Even after the Open Era began, the tour was composed differently before the 1990's and today.

One could say Esther Vergeer is the most dominant  player not only in the realm of tennis but maybe in all of professional sports.  She has won 26 Grand Slam singles titles and 27 Grand Slam doubles titles. Vergeer has been the world number one female wheelchair tennis player since 1999 (app. 675 weeks). In singles, she has not been beaten since January 2003 and is on a winning streak of close to 500 matches.  Does that make her great or perhaps the greatest in her realm? Obviously.  She deserves the highest praise for her accomplishments. Can one compare her records in the wheelchair league with the ATP or WTA or say she is "greater" than any of those players? Of course not. No need to compare. Her achievements, as the others, stand on their own.

As for the thread topic, congrats to Mr. Federer.  To get back to #1 and add to his total weeks at #1 with his main rivals of Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray at or closer to their peak may be one of his most remarkable achievements.  :not worthy:

Respectfully,
masterclass

Finally a very well thought off and argumented post... I do have to fully agree with master here!! I mean, we shouldn't compare male vs female tennis.. Just as masterclass said, I will give you another example... In the London Olympics Phelps achieved a great feat. he is the one with more olympic medals in history than any other, but in the paralympics a spanish woman was there to take on that crown. - Did you even know about that? You can't compare this.

Just as you can't compare ATP with WTA, its a whole different sport. And I don't mean it like "diminishing" what WTA offers, but by standards, 3 setters, 5 setters, physicall abilities, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Heck, why THEN "experts" put Navratilova and Steffi even behind Federer, Sampras and Laver when they talk about the GOAT discussion? Cause they know its a different ball game. And I am not talking about a few, but all of them rate these two great athletes and women behind the best on mens tennis.. And you have to take into account everything. Women's career start at a younger age, their professional life is even longer for many tennis professionals (not so demanding on the body) (See davenport, Navratilova even Steffi), the WTA is not even half as demanding as the ATP, speed, 5 setters in each GS, used to be 5 setter final for MS (HOW I MISS THAT!! :) ), I mean, everything. Even Hingis made a "succesful" comeback at her age, no way would any MEN could do that succesfully.

And for the record, I don't think any MAN looks to break Graff or Navratilova. I don't see Federer thinking: "OMG, I didn't reach Graff's or Navratilova's achievements, what am I going to do??" LOOL :))

Perhaps because he realised he won't be able to catch Graf's records!!       :rofl_2:

The point made above about Graf & Navratilova still being being the players to beat, relates to the global / overall record of which player, male or female, holds the record of most weeks as number one etc.  The answer to that question must be Graf, followed by Navratilova, with Federer in 3rd place.

There are other questions that stand on their own criteria - for example, which player in the ATP, which male player in the open era etc.
And Federer would obviously top the list in response to these.

Perhaps I've missed something, but the point made about Graf & Navratilova is not a difficult concept & is actually, pertinent.

Cause if there is such thing to compare, you would have to take out the stats, like for example How many hours on court has Fed been playing in his entire career? I will bet it is, as of now, far more than even Graff's entire career.

Navratilova turned pro in 1975 and she retired in 1995 that's 20 years of professional tennis at the top!!!!!!!!!!!! And she retired ranked 8 in the world!!! with 20 years of professional tennis on her legs... QUITE A REMARKABLE ACHIEVEMENT!!!! BUT impossible for mens tennis... AND don't even forget that she played doubles and mix doubles for major part of her career!!! When is/was dooable in the mens tennis?? and I mean overall...

You simply canīt compare them... eras, women vs men, etc. etc. etc.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:42:39 AM by mav140 »

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 06:50:41 AM »
Masterclass,  if you disagree a point, it does not follow that those offering that point are tongue in cheek or trolling the thread.  There is the possibility, is there not that they have a view, and they are sharing it. 

I question why it is difficult to note that Federer's total weeks as number one are not the highest on record, when looking at the overall record for ALL players.  In saying this, one is not sidelining that there are considerations to take into account for men / women/ era's etc.  It is obvious that the men's record is not the same as the women's record.

And actually, Federer's record speaks for itself - I can't see a comment in this thread that seeks to diminish it.   It pisses me off that these discussions become more about the proving of a "right" view than about exchanging thoughts.   When discussing total weeks at number one, it is pertinent to  discuss also the women's record, as all of these records are incredible & the theme of "number one" is being discussed.

There is too much posturing on this forum. Virtually every thread hijacked by repetitive nonsense, yet rarely are the those ccomments referred to as "trolling".    And people wonder why there isn't more uptake in membership.   

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:00:54 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »
Federer and Woods had this friendly rivalry going on over who was gonna win more majors. Even now, people compare Federer with Woods eventhough they play ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SPORTS!!!!!!! If you can compare Federer with Woods, then hell yeah you can compare Federer with Graf and Navratilova.

Until Federer broke Sampras' record, he had a benchmark to look upto. But ever since Slam #15, he has gone where no man has ever been before. That is why I said that it would be good for him to compare himself with [and for us fans to compare him with] legends of the game, who have achieved even more than he has ever done, who have won even more, who have played even longer.

I think it's certainly possible that he can cross 20 Slams if he remains healthy and motivated for the next 4 -5 years. Hell, if he wanted, he could play men's doubles and mixed doubles and win a s**tload of more Slams. There is no finish line for Roger Federer - if he wills it so. Doubles players play even when they are 40 and still can win Slams.

I doubt Federer will do any of these things, TBH. I hope he would consider it, however.

For the record, I am not saying that Navratilova and Graf are better than Federer. I'm not saying the reverse either. Their greatness can't be compared. However, their stats and achievements can, with certain caveats ofcourse. I don't believe in the GOAT theory but I like to participate in the debate. Laver, Rosewall, Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Lendl, Sampras, Agassi - they were all greats of their respective eras. However, I like comparison for the sake of comparison itself.  :)

An example would be the Don Bradman vs Sachin Tendulkar debate. It's a never ending debate with fervent supporters on both sides of the coin, but everyday you find out some new nugget of information that raises your admiration for both players.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:07:11 AM by oracle86 »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »
Week #302 clinched today.

Offline alk11

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 01:34:26 PM »
300+ weeks is amazing accomplishment, but chasing it with combination of sponsor pressure (aka  "playing Shanghai Masters ") hurt his chances to increase title count at "indoors swing":Basel,Paris & London

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »
300. incredible record that may never be broken.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »
Masterclass,  if you disagree a point, it does not follow that those offering that point are tongue in cheek or trolling the thread.  There is the possibility, is there not that they have a view, and they are sharing it. 

I question why it is difficult to note that Federer's total weeks as number one are not the highest on record, when looking at the overall record for ALL players.  In saying this, one is not sidelining that there are considerations to take into account for men / women/ era's etc.  It is obvious that the men's record is not the same as the women's record.

And actually, Federer's record speaks for itself - I can't see a comment in this thread that seeks to diminish it.   It pisses me off that these discussions become more about the proving of a "right" view than about exchanging thoughts.   When discussing total weeks at number one, it is pertinent to  discuss also the women's record, as all of these records are incredible & the theme of "number one" is being discussed.

There is too much posturing on this forum. Virtually every thread hijacked by repetitive nonsense, yet rarely are the those ccomments referred to as "trolling".    And people wonder why there isn't more uptake in membership.   

Men and woman records are different entities, it's best to separate the two.
They don't play each other for the same reason.

You're free to bring it up but the responses will be of this type.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:34:58 PM by swish »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 01:15:22 PM »
Will Federer get the no1 back? can Wawrinka do him a big favor?

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »
Will Federer get the no1 back? can Wawrinka do him a big favor?

Stan tried his best!