Author Topic: 2012 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, 11/5-12/2012  (Read 6534 times)

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
Re: 2012 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, 11/5-12/2012
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »
Dont let this bagel tricks you, Delpo aint going to avoid straight set loss against Fed.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
Dont let this bagel tricks you, Delpo aint going to avoid straight set loss against Fed.
maybe yes, maybe no. not sure. DP did win Basel def. Fed. However, so far he doesn't look too good. we'll see.

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
maybe yes, maybe no. not sure. DP did win Basel def. Fed. However, so far he doesn't look too good. we'll see.

As a Delpo supporter I am hoping for win but his recent form does not look that promising. We will see. :)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2012, 01:23:02 AM »
Roger in the SF!  Great...

Also..the double's have been pretty good this week as well!

Been pretty busy...haven't had much time to 'post' here, but I have been reading your post... Some good...some bad!  As usual... :rofl_2:

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2012, 02:25:30 AM »
what a slow slow court.......del potro has no chance as much as it hurts to say........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »
Nole pummelling Tomas with ease at the moment...
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2012, 02:38:22 PM »
Nole just relentless. why the heck he needs to be  a set point down,  being 1:5 down in TB and then somehow wining is beyond me. he does it all the time. it's driving me crazy. He did it with Murray too.

mental freak but he's been really testing my nerves last 2 years  ..-):))

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2012, 06:49:42 AM »
Nole just relentless. why the heck he needs to be  a set point down,  being 1:5 down in TB and then somehow wining is beyond me. he does it all the time. it's driving me crazy. He did it with Murray too.

mental freak but he's been really testing my nerves last 2 years  ..-):))

True. He did it with Murray in Shanghai at match point down. He did it with Tsonga at Roland Garros at match point down. He did it two times with Federer at the US Open at match point down.

He is perhaps even mentally tougher than Nadal.

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2012, 10:23:45 AM »
Well done Dellboy! :worthy:

Federer really had a bad day today. 42 UEs!   :(
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
Yes, Federer was very sloppy. Especially in the tie-break, which he basically gifted to Del Potro.

It appears that Federer's form dropped a bit after the Olympics. He went out "early" at the USO, lost Basel (indoors), lost Shanghai, skipped Paris, and now lost to Del Potro on an indoor court for the second time in two weeks.

He is through to the semis, but he is going to lose another bunch of ranking points as Djokovic and Murray are clearly in better form than Federer.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2012, 11:39:30 AM »
tough day at the office for fed.

42 unforced errors are too many.

now nole or murray are looking like the favorites. fed`s road to the title is more difficult now.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2012, 01:26:43 PM »
i am somewhat surprised with this result........today d pot beat fed at the mind.......the surface and conditions were clearly in favour of the swiss........at basel the surface was faster and favoured del potro.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2012, 02:02:53 PM »
i want del potro to win this title but not sure the court would allow him to hit through djokovic and/or murray........

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »
Fed was very sloppy. too many UE. I was able to watch the highlits only. Kudos to DP tho. If Fed doesn't rise his game he might get toasted by Murray but then Murray didn't look too good either, except for that wonderful yellow outfit  :whistle:. we are talking semis here, courts seem to be slow, it might favor Andy but then Roger is an indoor king. we'll see.

so far Djokovic does look the best. I'm afraid that DP will be toasted.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »
This is Nole's title. Just hand it to him already.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2012, 06:53:11 PM »
not so soon my friend, not so soon. it's not given. anything can still happen.  :)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »

not so soon my friend, not so soon. it's not given. anything can still happen.  :)

Yup Alex, you should already begin popping the:

and
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2012, 04:39:01 AM »
Fed was very sloppy. too many UE. I was able to watch the highlits only. Kudos to DP tho. If Fed doesn't rise his game he might get toasted by Murray but then Murray didn't look too good either, except for that wonderful yellow outfit  :whistle:. we are talking semis here, courts seem to be slow, it might favor Andy but then Roger is an indoor king. we'll see.

so far Djokovic does look the best. I'm afraid that DP will be toasted.

Ha, indeed Alex! The outfit is horrible. What the hell was Adidas thinking?

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2012, 08:00:26 AM »
Though he won Wimbledon, and an Olympic Silver medal, arguably, Roger Federer afterwards played the best he has played this year for an entire tournament in Cincinnati. He faced only 3 break points the entire tournament and saved them all, becoming the only man in history to go unbroken in a Masters 1000 tournament. He won all 3 tiebreakers he played against Fish, Wawrinka, and Djokovic. Fish and Wawrinka may have played their best matches of the year in a losing effort to Federer, and Djokovic got bageled (though Nole's poor play contributed to that). 

I would say that Federer probably peaked in Cincinnati, and would say that he has not been generally as good since then, probably due to a combination of mental and physical fatigue and attention for his time since regaining #1. Since the US Open this year, he has not been able to fence in his drops in focus and turn matches around as he had for almost 10 months or so since last year's Basel. He has also lost 2 key tiebreakers to Del Potro rather badly. One to lose the final in Basel, and one at London's O2 in the 3rd RR round in the first set.  But, he did reach the final in Basel, and had flashes of brilliance here and there in his matches at O2 so it's not like he has totally fallen apart. His only losses since and including the US Open, have come to Berdych, Murray, and Del Potro, all tough players for him at times in the past.

But Andy Murray's and Novak Djokovic's standard also hasn't been very good since doing well in Asia. They both performed poorly in Paris for whatever reason. Then at O2, Djokovic played poorly in the first round, but was very fortunate to be playing an even worse Tsonga. Since that match, he has slightly improved, but the match Murray and Djokovic played was full of unforced errors (84 - D40, M44) and was lost more than won, though one has to credit Novak's mental fortitude. His best match thus far was against Berdych, who is an almost perfect match-up for Novak (HTH 11-1).  Del Potro and Ferrer have probably been playing the best level indoors of any of the participants since Shanghai, Ferrer only losing to his worst match-up, Federer, and Del Potro losing to Ferrer.  But anyway, Ferrer is out.

We will see who can manage to pull their game together for the semifinals to go on to the final. Probably Del Potro and Djokovic appear to have the most confidence of the remaining participants. Djokovic cannot afford to play a poor first set against Del Potro, and should count on his great defense to frustrate Juan Martin.  Del Potro's chance is to be quite aggressive, keep the points shorter, and not allow Djokovic rhythm or movement to profit him. He must not back up behind the baseline as has been his habit. When he gets a floater he has to come in and use his height to hit the volley and win the point, instead of backing up and waiting for the ball to land.

I wouldn't be surprised at any outcome with regard to Murray vs. Federer. They have both played up and down during their matches here. It just depends on who is more up than down for the longest and for the key parts of the match tonight.

I'm going to flip a coin and say Murray will pull it out, and that a very confident Del Potro will come out on fire and beat Djokovic. But who the hell knows? :)  I wouldn't bet these matches.

Respectfully,
masterclass
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:03:41 AM by masterclass »
Legends of Tennis

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2012, 09:16:26 AM »
Del Potro plays well and has won the 1st set against Djokovic.