Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Roger Federer? Hes not the best of all time. He would have lost tp McEnroe/Borg

(1/13) > >>

sid:
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Boris-Becker--Roger-Federer-Hes-not-the-best-of-all-times-He-would-have-lost-from-McEnroe-and-Borg-articolo6851.html

Dallas:
Technology and training improvements have not just changed tennis...it plays a part in all sports.  That's why times have increased (look at swimming, track/field, etc.).  When you look at tennis in the past vs tennis now -- the sport doesn't even look the same.   Anyway, Becker changes his vote on things all the time.  He's just one person.  You can either agree or not agree with him.  It's Becker's  opinion and he has a right to his opinion - doesn't mean everyone has to agree or disagree with him.

Alex:
Boris does have some good points, but at the end it's how much you win, like any other sport. The problem in tennis is that, and God knows how many times we talked about this, it is almost impossible to compare different eras. When I started watching tennis, as a kid, Borg was my idol and I still think he is the best one.  he quit when he was only 25yo.

If you look at tennis history, we have Laver, we have so many 'old' players who were playing tennis and winning for 20 years or so at that time. I wasn't able to watch those players except for some odd you tube videos. people have a short memory.

then, the open era, pre open era. it gets too complicated. just my 5 cents.

jesse james:
i've said it before, but you simply can't compare guys from different eras, it's fun-but that's all.
Different technology means a different mindset too. It would be just as absurd to ask if McEnroe could beat Fed at Wimbledon now.

Alex:

--- Quote from: jesse james on November 06, 2012, 03:59:55 PM ---i've said it before, but you simply can't compare guys from different eras, it's fun-but that's all.
Different technology means a different mindset too. It would be just as absurd to ask if McEnroe could beat Fed at Wimbledon now.

--- End quote ---
well, exactly. we average tennis fans can BS about this 24/7 and get nowhere. Boris does know a little bit more about tennis than us. He is not denying that Roger is one of the best ones, he is just saying the fact that everything is different nowadays then before and he is right.

of course, Lady Dallas and FFF will disagree and torture us with Fed again  :rofl_2:. oops had to poke someone tonight. you 2 should be honored  :))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version