Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Roger Federer? Hes not the best of all time. He would have lost tp McEnroe/Borg

<< < (2/13) > >>

jesse james:

--- Quote from: Alex on November 06, 2012, 04:25:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: jesse james on November 06, 2012, 03:59:55 PM ---i've said it before, but you simply can't compare guys from different eras, it's fun-but that's all.
Different technology means a different mindset too. It would be just as absurd to ask if McEnroe could beat Fed at Wimbledon now.

--- End quote ---
well, exactly. we average tennis fans can BS about this 24/7 and get nowhere. Boris does know a little bit more about tennis than us. He is not denying that Roger is one of the best ones, he is just saying the fact that everything is different nowadays then before and he is right.

of course, Lady Dallas and FFF will disagree and torture us with Fed again  :rofl_2:. oops had to poke someone tonight. you 2 should be honored  :))

--- End quote ---

Boris may know more about tennis than us in one sense, but that doesn't make his views more cogent.
Professional tennis players would have different views on this anyway, and i've no reason to believe that the degree of coherence they might employ in their arguments correlates to their success as a player. Unless you're a hapless devote of some kind of inverted ad hominemism, why would you want to privilege the arguments of current or former professional players?

mav140:
Good article... But it goes both ways... And as everyone here says, you can't compare eras... And as I said, it goes both ways... Becker wants to know how Roger would adapt to a wooden raquet,.. I would also want to know how McEnroe or Borg would adapt in real competitive tennis with today's technology or how much would they last in today's demanding schedule, body and type of tennis... Or if Connor would win a GS at 39 in today's tennis.. I mean it goes both ways and unfortunately there is no way of knowing any of these...

Besides, Becker always tend to change his mind about this specific issue.. So, I could link dozens of articles praising Fed as the best of all times and another dozen "diminishing". Fed's achievements.. You never know with Boris..

And of course it still remains he has to protect his era just as anybody would... I mean, we are just fans of A player and even us are defending eras because of our favorite player...

My 2 cents

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

Alex:
Jessy, it's because all journalists are like ... they need to find some truth and everything is so questionable. They need to write about something. Who is the biggest, who is the bestest sort of thing. Boris was maybe politically correct.   What I learned at the University is this. Give me  exact parameters  I'll do exact measurements for you

. How do you do that in tennis?  again different equipment, different surfaces ... everything different. i.e. Laver won all of his slams on grass and clay. So how do you compare Laver with Fed? impossible.

I read too many books about old players and tennis history so I hope you understand. I might elaborate more on this later, just trying to type and working on some stupid work  project here, fighting with this stupid cold. sorry for typos.

If we take slams as the only parameter, yes Fed is the best. If we talk about the numbers of tournaments won, nobody even comes close to Connors. it's all relative. If we talk about fame, I think it's Borg.

Alex:

--- Quote from: mav140 on November 06, 2012, 05:19:02 PM ---Good article... But it goes both ways... And as everyone here says, you can't compare eras... And as I said, it goes both ways... Becker wants to know how Roger would adapt to a wooden raquet,.. I would also want to know how McEnroe or Borg would adapt in real competitive tennis with today's technology or how much would they last in today's demanding schedule, body and type of tennis... Or if Connor would win a GS at 39 in today's tennis.. I mean it goes both ways and unfortunately there is no way of knowing any of these...

Besides, Becker always tend to change his mind about this specific issue.. So, I could link dozens of articles praising Fed as the best of all times and another dozen "diminishing". Fed's achievements.. You never know with Boris..

And of course it still remains he has to protect his era just as anybody would... I mean, we are just fans of A player and even us are defending eras because of our favorite player...

My 2 cents

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

--- End quote ---
Mav, this is a great point and what I was talking about. love your post. how do you judge? who will adopt how? give a wooden racquet to Djokovic or Fed and watch them play  :)).  Bring young JMac and Borg in their prime, and give them modern racquets, speed up Wimbledon grass, put them against Fed or Sampras and let's see what happens.  I think it would be hilarious. all players in their prime  :)&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

williamchung7:
Old stuff, nothing new.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version