Instructional Tennis > Tennis Journals

Brick Top's Journal

(1/4) > >>

Brick Top:
Hello, I would like to share some of mine little experience and  to get some tips that will help me to improve my game.
First to say I played occasionally with friends and we make tournaments almost every month were 4 to 8 of us compete ( I have never won one though  :\ )
Well about my style of play I do - serve and volley  :)~ . If the first hard serve goes in I will rush to the net. Thus so I am pretty comfortable at the net I have good touch and my volleys are quite solid and I consider them as my biggest weapon.  I am using continental grip when s&V . On second serve I would stay behind the line or either slice the ball back and run on every ball (I am pretty quick) or attack on short balls. I can hit hard but accuracy and consistence sometimes could be a problem.  Same goes for first serve which I hit flat.
Second service is my biggest weak spot, sometimes after few bad points I loss confidence and that transfers on my 2nd serve. In that situation service  is either slow and high bouncing which opponents could  exploit  or I  lose my nerve and start spraying Double faults .
Ground strokes might need an improvement, especially backhand, which I play double handed.
Sometimes when I am mentally down, Thankfully to my stamina I would just push and push every ball :) Sometimes works good for me.

Im planing to play next week and practice with my friend. Hopefully I will reduce some of my weak spots :)

Brick Top:
To note, I mostly play on a hard court which is pretty fast and low bouncing. In my town besides hard there are also outdoor clay courts.. I never played on them tough  ..-)

Tennis4you:
Will read this more later, always great to see new Journals, I have sadly not updated mine in a while.  I serve and volley too.  Never underestimate a slow fat kick serve which allows you to get closer to the net for that first volley.  :)

monstertruck:

--- Quote from: Tennis4you on November 13, 2012, 09:55:19 PM ---Will read this more later, always great to see new Journals, I have sadly not updated mine in a while.  I serve and volley too.  Never underestimate a slow fat kick serve which allows you to get closer to the net for that first volley.  :)

--- End quote ---
I saw 'slow & fat' and thought you were talking about me again...... :)~

Now to the point-

Great journal entry BrickTop!
Sounds like you enjoy playing and thinking about tennis.
How often do you 'play'?
How often do you 'practice'?

I believe the 2nd serve (and the serve in general) is where most club players can achieve the most improvement easily and quickly. 
A few minutes a week doing focused drills can yield solid improvement within a few weeks.  Some drills can even be done off-court.

Brick Top:
Hello guys :)

I play as much as time allows me, so its at least 2 or 3 times per month, during holidays when  I have more free time I play at least once a week. Same goes for practice. I need to mention that there is a tennis  wall next to the courts so  I go often there to hit against it, and it helped me a lot especially in my beginning days with my touch and timing with groundstrokes.  I think that consistency is a biggest problem with my serve and one of the reason that I have found is that I am not focused enough before service. This Friday I will work on my serve and either on Saturday or Sunday I will play 5-setter against my friend. :)
I will report the outcome and eventual progress :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version