Author Topic: Brick Top's Journal  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
Brick Top's Journal
« on: November 08, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »
Hello, I would like to share some of mine little experience and  to get some tips that will help me to improve my game.
First to say I played occasionally with friends and we make tournaments almost every month were 4 to 8 of us compete ( I have never won one though  :\ )
Well about my style of play I do - serve and volley  :)~ . If the first hard serve goes in I will rush to the net. Thus so I am pretty comfortable at the net I have good touch and my volleys are quite solid and I consider them as my biggest weapon.  I am using continental grip when s&V . On second serve I would stay behind the line or either slice the ball back and run on every ball (I am pretty quick) or attack on short balls. I can hit hard but accuracy and consistence sometimes could be a problem.  Same goes for first serve which I hit flat.
Second service is my biggest weak spot, sometimes after few bad points I loss confidence and that transfers on my 2nd serve. In that situation service  is either slow and high bouncing which opponents could  exploit  or I  lose my nerve and start spraying Double faults .
Ground strokes might need an improvement, especially backhand, which I play double handed.
Sometimes when I am mentally down, Thankfully to my stamina I would just push and push every ball :) Sometimes works good for me.

Im planing to play next week and practice with my friend. Hopefully I will reduce some of my weak spots :)

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
Re: Brick Top's Journal
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:33:21 PM »
To note, I mostly play on a hard court which is pretty fast and low bouncing. In my town besides hard there are also outdoor clay courts.. I never played on them tough  ..-)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »
Will read this more later, always great to see new Journals, I have sadly not updated mine in a while.  I serve and volley too.  Never underestimate a slow fat kick serve which allows you to get closer to the net for that first volley.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:38:52 AM »
Will read this more later, always great to see new Journals, I have sadly not updated mine in a while.  I serve and volley too.  Never underestimate a slow fat kick serve which allows you to get closer to the net for that first volley.  :)
I saw 'slow & fat' and thought you were talking about me again...... :)~

Now to the point-

Great journal entry BrickTop!
Sounds like you enjoy playing and thinking about tennis.
How often do you 'play'?
How often do you 'practice'?

I believe the 2nd serve (and the serve in general) is where most club players can achieve the most improvement easily and quickly. 
A few minutes a week doing focused drills can yield solid improvement within a few weeks.  Some drills can even be done off-court.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 07:49:55 AM »
Hello guys :)

I play as much as time allows me, so its at least 2 or 3 times per month, during holidays when  I have more free time I play at least once a week. Same goes for practice. I need to mention that there is a tennis  wall next to the courts so  I go often there to hit against it, and it helped me a lot especially in my beginning days with my touch and timing with groundstrokes.  I think that consistency is a biggest problem with my serve and one of the reason that I have found is that I am not focused enough before service. This Friday I will work on my serve and either on Saturday or Sunday I will play 5-setter against my friend. :)
I will report the outcome and eventual progress :)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »
Just keep having fun out there. :))
Keep your expectations in line with the amount of time and energy you have to commit.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 02:28:55 PM »
OK folks. Today I have played 5-set match against my friend - and I won it, one of the sweetest victory I must say  :)~
I am pretty satisfied with my overall display, although poor serving coasted me a 2 sets (double faults) but I still got plenty of aces. To mention it was my first time on clay court and for my surprise it was a pretty fast and low bouncing (not a big  amount of clay on court) which suited my game perfectly. Cant be happier  :)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »
Sounds like fun!
DF's cost you 2 sets?  Yikes!
Sounds like a good place to start improving your game.
Build a solid 2nd serve that you can rely on and work up from there.
Have you had or do you plan on any lessons?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
Hello monstertruck and thanks for advice.  Since the winter is coming here I will appoint indoor sessions and work on it at  least one/two times per week . In the same time I will play more with my friends.It will be long indoor season for me  :)

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »
Consistency is still the key . When is ON my serve along volleys is my biggest weapon. Sometimes after  long and tight set and especially if i loose that one I feel mentally exhausted and that reflects on my serve. My concentration drops, I could not even concentrate on my serve motion and ball toss, but last time I fought back at the end and won so it will just push me to work more in every aspect of the game. I need to cite that I have played many sports but I find tennis most enjoyable and love for this game is that makes me that I like to play it and work more on it.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 08:05:56 AM »
Good stuff!
Nice to hear you'll be putting some time in practicing and playing over the winter.
You may want to consider adding concentration drills to your warm up and cool down.  Mental strength is one of the most overlooked aspect at the club level.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 08:32:13 AM »
Sometimes after losing a tight set you might find that your opponent lacks concentration since they won the first set.  A good time to keep the concentration and strike back!
Scott Baker

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »
Thanks for a help folks. I will continue to work on those areas, train and have fun.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 08:05:09 PM »
That's what it is all about!  Enjoy it, for a life time!

And congrats on 100 posts!
Scott Baker

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »
Ok guys one more exam and I will reward my self with one week just playing tennis  :)>>>>

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 08:56:38 AM »
Good luck with the exam!  And hurry up so you can play some tennis!
Scott Baker

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »
Good luck with the exam!  And hurry up so you can play some tennis!
Cant wait to get a racquet in my hand . Countdown till next Friday  :)>>>>  :)

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »
Been a little rusty today after all I did not play for awhile. My first serve was not so good today  terms of consistency but 2nd was ok. Anyway  I still have good touch on the net.  :) Will play more in few days.

Offline FreakyGOAT > CD

• Tennis God
  • Amir Blumensauce
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 05:48:39 PM »
Nice  :))  So you prefer to drop volley instead of  drive volley?
Oh Sheesh Y'all T'was A Dream

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 06:54:50 PM »
Nice  :))  So you prefer to drop volley instead of  drive volley?
drop volley. Much safer for me.