Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Is Federer retiring anytime soon ?

<< < (19/23) > >>

Alex:
hm, Fed has never had any mono. mono was delivered to him by Djokovic in 2008 at the AO in 3 sets when Novak played out of his mind (probably the best Djokovic you'll ever see, aggressive tennis, just beautiful, watch that match again and learn btw).

It's too bad I haven't seen Nole playing like that for a long time. yeah, I know 2011 etc. not good in enough in my book (it's working but still).

and again stop with this mono shmono crap. FFF, behave or else (I'll make you watch Justin Beiber's videos for 24 hours :)&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ...

Emma:

--- Quote from: Gawdblessya on January 01, 2013, 05:43:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tennis4you on December 30, 2012, 03:07:03 PM --- .........

As long as there is hope and the love for the game, why not!  If he puts down the racquet that is a major life change for him.  If he loves playing tennis, which he has expressed that he does, and he is still playing at a top 10 level, I say keep playing and enjoy the game!  ...............

--- End quote ---
I'll second that!  I love his game. Watching him play is a privilege. The winning / losing is beside the point.

--- End quote ---

A privilege is when you realize that 50% of the world populations live under just $2 and you are not one of them.

Watching Federer is a luxury.

Gawdblessya:

--- Quote from: Emma on January 07, 2013, 09:20:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: Gawdblessya on January 01, 2013, 05:43:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tennis4you on December 30, 2012, 03:07:03 PM --- .........

As long as there is hope and the love for the game, why not!  If he puts down the racquet that is a major life change for him.  If he loves playing tennis, which he has expressed that he does, and he is still playing at a top 10 level, I say keep playing and enjoy the game!  ...............

--- End quote ---
I'll second that!  I love his game. Watching him play is a privilege. The winning / losing is beside the point.

--- End quote ---

A privilege is when you realize that 50% of the world populations live under just $2 and you are not one of them.

Watching Federer is a luxury.

--- End quote ---
Sure, Emma.  Context is everything.  Given your context, of course one is privileged to have so much, when so many have so little.  A privilege & a blessing. And an enormous responsibilty. You'll get no argument from me on that.

However, you are mistaken in your seeming assumption that yours is the correct use of "privilege"  In English parlance, it is appropriate to say " it was a privilege to meet xxx"  when one meets someone one respects or admires.  In sport, as on this tennis site, it is correct to say that it is a privilege to watch a favourite player.  And that has been my use of the word.

Your point could be construed as patronising and a tad presumptive. That you know better than me how to express what I mean. That I have overlooked the poor & needy in saying that watching Federer is a privilege.  This presumption speaks volumes. You are not my judge.

Emma:
Privilege - a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most: the privileges of the very rich.

I am not mistaken because you were imposing. It's very hard for you to expect that someone doesn't like Federer so you feel the need to highlight it as "privilege". Keep in mind what followed the comment. It's not exactly rocket science to figure it out exactly what context this was meant. In fact, it's pretty straight forward.

Clay Death:
emma has style. they say that style is eternal. :)) :))

you tell em how it really is emma.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version