Author Topic: Is Federer retiring anytime soon ?  (Read 5048 times)

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
Is Federer retiring anytime soon ?
« on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »
Well, Federer said some 4 years ago was to play until Olympics 2012. Now that he's done so and got a medal in the process, I guess retirement should be in the vicinity of at most 2 years maybe !! Honestly I can't see Fed playing next Olympics. So what do you think guys ? How long do you think Fed will continue playing and do you expect him to suddenly retire (like Henin, Roddick, Ferrero) or inform the public that this will be his final year ? If so what tournament will he choose as his final ? Will it be Wimbledon or Basel ?
The world awaits no genius

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: Is Federer retiring anytime soon ?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:34:03 PM »
I doubt he'll play in Brazil and there is not point playing there anyways. tennis and Olympics don't really agree with me. However, he is still doing very well and he loves tennis. at 31yo he is pretty much destroying anybody not called Nole, Rafa or Murray. I think as long as there is some passion left, he should keep playing. Fed is one in a million, tennis needs him. My feeling is he'll play probably next 2 years and then retire but who knows? I also think he'll slow down, playing less tournaments but he's been always smart with his schedule.

as for the place of retirement Wimbledon would be appropriate IMO.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:36:57 PM »
Fed looked OLD out there today. Very ragged looking in the face and kind of slow.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
Fed looked OLD out there today. Very ragged looking in the face and kind of slow.
hm, right he looked so old,  and he won.
Nole looked old against Murray too, yet he won ...
you get my point?  :)~ :))

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »

I'm just giving ya some red meat Alex.  :king:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:31:12 AM »
I don't know why some folks want to 'force' people to 'retire"?  If Roger wasn't playing tennis - what would he do?  He has said he LOVES tennis.... so if he's looking "old' out there...what does it say about the rest of the tour since he's still the #2 ranked player in the world?  I say let them all play until they don't want to do it again.  He said he enjoys the traveling, the playing, the tour, etc.  He's still 'young' in life and I, for one, would like to see him continue to play as long as he loves this life.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 01:33:03 AM »

I'm just giving ya some red meat Alex.  :king:
yeah bud, I know ... just trying to be stupid for Emma's next attack here ... I have to practice but she'll talk about Murray because that's all she knows  :whistle:
MURRAY, Murray red meat, Murray grade A, Nole grade AAA, Fed grade AAAA. Emma darhling, could I have a kiss now (it's OK I brushed my teeth)  :)~

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 01:47:54 AM »
I don't know why some folks want to 'force' people to 'retire"?  If Roger wasn't playing tennis - what would he do?  He has said he LOVES tennis.... so if he's looking "old' out there...what does it say about the rest of the tour since he's still the #2 ranked player in the world?  I say let them all play until they don't want to do it again.  He said he enjoys the traveling, the playing, the tour, etc.  He's still 'young' in life and I, for one, would like to see him continue to play as long as he loves this life.
Dallas, what would he do with all of his money and skills? maybe train other young players. spend more time with his family. Med asked if Fed was retiring any time soon and what we think about it?  :). It doesn't mean he is retiring tomorrow.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 02:19:12 AM »
Many wish he would retire. Like a ton of players who would love to win a grand slam.  :rofl_2:

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 02:35:13 AM »
he peaked both physically and mentally in 2007........how do you expect him to retire just after 5 years? he will hang around like a mean witch and pounce on every single slam where nadal is injured and murrovic suddenly become choking mugs.......

agassi with such demanding game lasted till 36.......i don't see why this super fit ATP diva can't.......

hercules thinks he can carry on playing till 40.......i won't be surprised either if he retires after istanbul(or madrid or tokyo) olympics in 2020.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 04:45:30 AM »
I'm with the Shankman on this one.
I don't see him going away anytime soon.
It appears he is still able to position himself for slam titles.
He seems to enjoy the touring life.
Wait 'till those girlies of his get a little older and that may all change.
I can't imagine the tour is a great environment to raise children.
I think that will be the deciding factor.
When he finally wants to be more of a father and less of a player.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:19 AM »
Once the girls start going to school, Mirka will have to settle down. Will Federer be able to adapt to the demands of playing the Tour week in week out without Mirka? That is the million dollar question.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 05:15:30 PM »
Despite agreeing that Fed is not retiring within the bracket of anytime soon, I feel being as great as he is he will announce retirement suddenly (like Roddick) because he would simple want to avoid people feeling sorry for him and so in some ways one might think players are just as well honored to lose against him. That's just my opinion.
However I hope retirement is still as a fuzzy proposition to him now as it were when he started playing because tennis still needs him. And given Nadal's uncertain longevity, I'm afraid it'll be as big a blow to tennis as what they have done for tennis. Of course there is still Murray and Djokovic but its a matter of fact that they do not share the distinctive charisma and lure that both have. Djokovic is ok but he doesn't seem to belong solely to that class (sorry Alex!!). He seems more suited to be the guy who broke the FEDAL domination more than the new vanguard of tennis. Djokovic is just a nice guy both on and off court which somehow doesn't give the sense of hunger as can be seen embracing players he lost to. Until I see a new consistent talent Federer or Nadal retiring is an unavoidable tempest.
The world awaits no genius

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 08:33:37 AM »
He loves his tennis so I can see him going for a bit.  He is healthy, #2 in the world, no reason to stop just yet. : )
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »
I would hate being called #2. :mad1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »
fed is going to play unitl he is 40-43.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Is Federer retiring anytime soon ?
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »
I hope he plays for a while to come.  If he gets out of the top 5-10 I wouldn't be surprised to see him step away from the game.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 06:33:10 PM »
fed is going to play unitl he is 40-43.
yup, and Scott and Babbs are playing doubles next year at Wimbledon, so I hear  :))

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »
Guys Fed will not play to 40. Maybe 34-35.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »
Fed just said recently that he has a lot to work on, he wasn't able to with the heavy schedule this year.

He'll be rested and motivated, I'll be looking for a few changes in his game.