Author Topic: Is Federer retiring anytime soon ?  (Read 6421 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Is Federer retiring anytime soon ?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 04:01:57 AM »
Fed just said recently that he has a lot to work on, he wasn't able to with the heavy schedule this year.

He'll be rested and motivated, I'll be looking for a few changes in his game.
Strategic, tactical, or technical?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »
he will not change anything........he will be the same server, ball basher and extreme defender........the day his movement disappears, he will retire the very next day........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »
Fed just said recently that he has a lot to work on, he wasn't able to with the heavy schedule this year.

I have no idea MT.

Fed and team will pick out their priorities, the important point is that he wants to continue working to better his game.

Not much of a news flash really.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
he will not change anything........he will be the same server, ball basher and extreme defender........the day his movement disappears, he will retire the very next day........

Fed is an "extreme defender" Shanks?
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 12:47:57 AM »

Fed is an "extreme defender" Shanks?

his defensive skills are second only to nadal among all the current players........the way he returns the serve, slicing from ridiculous positions deep in the court and putting the opponent moving forward in an awkward position is all high level defending........he doesn't make a single error when retrieving but makes a lot of errors when attacking........

why he comes off as an attacking player to many is that he also knows how to take on short balls, make the move forward and cover the net well which many good players of today are not quite good at........

nadal, federer and djokovic........all the three are what they are because of their great defensive skills........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 01:14:22 AM »
his defensive skills are second only to nadal among all the current players........the way he returns the serve, slicing from ridiculous positions deep in the court and putting the opponent moving forward in an awkward position is all high level defending........he doesn't make a single error when retrieving but makes a lot of errors when attacking........

why he comes off as an attacking player to many is that he also knows how to take on short balls, make the move forward and cover the net well which many good players of today are not quite good at........

nadal, federer and djokovic........all the three are what they are because of their great defensive skills........

Sorry but Fed is a shadow of himself when it comes to "extreme defense". He's more known as a supreme attacking player. Let's face it, he doesn't have the same movement now as he did 3 years ago, much less 6.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 08:47:11 AM »

I have no idea MT.

Fed and team will pick out their priorities, the important point is that he wants to continue working to better his game.

Not much of a news flash really.
Thought you might have some ideas.....

Nice to see he is still trying to improve and adapt.
I think he could remain top 10 material for as long as he cares to play.
My guess is he may lose interest when slam titles are no longer within his grasp.  Either that, or when family matters become the new priority.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »

The fact that you needed 3 terms to describe him shows how varied his game is. For Nadal, one term is enough.  ;-()
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »
If he does retire, what are we going to do with Dallas? that's my bigger problem.  :))

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »

The fact that you needed 3 terms to describe him shows how varied his game is. For Nadal, one term is enough.  ;-()

well said.
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »
I see Federer retiring in a couple of years time. End of next year wouldn't be too sudden either ...for me. But I don't see him retiring all of a sudden as he has a big fan base, so he would want to be respectful of that and give them at least some sort of heads up.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 01:09:32 AM »

that one term was enough to take care of 3 terms.......

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 07:36:39 AM »

that one term was enough to take care of 3 terms.......

That's because of the match up -  a totally different issue.  :)~
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »
But why should anyone go further than that when one is enough to handle the GOAT?  :)~

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 12:05:21 PM »
But why should anyone go further than that when one is enough to handle the GOAT?  :)~

TBH, i don't believe there is a GOAT. Different people will always have varying opinions on who they think the greatest ever player is.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »

TBH, i don't believe there is a GOAT. Different people will always have varying opinions on who they think the greatest ever player is.

I always see Federer as the most successful player to date given his results. I don't believe in GOAT because too many variables to take into account given different eras which is virtually impossible.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 02:45:09 PM »
Is Stepanek retiring any time soon?

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 05:40:22 PM »
Is Stepanek retiring any time soon?
Sexy people do not retire, they are too sexy. look at me and Emma  :)>>>>

Offline peterharry

• New Poster
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 02:25:26 AM »
Roger Federer is a world class player. I think he will play in next olympics because he had said before olympics that he wanted to win gold medal but did not win. He will try in next olympics to win gold medal.
newbielink:http://www.racketcity.com/badminton-rackets.htm [nonactive]
newbielink:http://www.racketcity.com [nonactive]

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
If he does retire, what are we going to do with Dallas? that's my bigger problem.  :))

I would have to find someone else, now, wouldn't I :innocent:  That 'someone else' isn't here yet but there has never been a time when 'someone else' didn't come along for me.  First Ashe, then Borg, then Lendl, then Pete, now Roger.... so..... I'm sure someone else will catch my attention (maybe not like Roger...but someone) :))