Author Topic: Is Federer retiring anytime soon ?  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Is Federer retiring anytime soon ?
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »
I see Federer retiring in 2015 at the latest. Unless he feels he needs to make more money then he'll probably play until he's 40.

I was wondering though if Medwatt would be interested in opening a thread called - A Fedtard's life after the Retirement of the Great Roger Federer.

Dallas would probably wait for a youngster to come along and win 5 slams within a very short period of time, so that she can become a fan right after. From one glory hunting to another.  :)~

I was a fan of Roger back in 1999 and he had ZERO slams... Now! :)~

Offline OskarBetting

• Tennis Player
    • OskarBetting's Tennis Blog!
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2012, 02:40:49 PM »
I think Federer's last tournament will be Wimbledon or Basel in 2014 or 2015. He's not gonna play the next olympics, I think.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »
Federer loves the attention so it will have to be Wimbledon. He gets the most attention there.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2012, 10:35:51 AM »
Fed's been put out to pasture years ago.  :)>>>>
He's got a while to go for our viewing pleasure.  :king:

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Wow !! Federer just seems to be trimming his schedule !!
No Miami !! No Basel.

Federer's 2013 schedule:
 1. Australian Open, Melbourne
 2. ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament, Rotterdam
 3. Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, Dubai
 4. BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells
 5. Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid
 6. Internazionali BNL d’Italia, Rome
 7. Roland Garros, Paris
 8. Gerry Weber Open, Halle
 9. Wimbledon. London
10. Rogers Cup, Montreal
11. Western & Southern Open, Cincinnati
12. US Open, New York
13. Shanghai Rolex Masters, Shanghai
14. BNP Masters, Paris
it doesn't make sense to me that he is playing Rotterdam but not Miami. other than that he was always smart when it comes to scheduling.
Thanks, medwatt. You are a fountain of knowledge.  :)
Federer has done well - planning a relatively-straight forward schedule, using the relaxations afforded to him by the ATP. Now if Roger can win a title or 2 this season..  :cool:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:17:40 PM by propstoart »

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2012, 02:25:50 PM »
It's interesting that he's not playing any warmup events before the AO this year - a bit risky but he doesn't usually struggle with the early rounds anyway.
Of late, the Great One has shown signs that he is ripe for an early-round exit - this was most witnessed in his 5-set win over Benneteau at Wimbledon last. Had not the Frenchman been hobbled by injury, Roger could well have been knocked out..
Roger's form fluctuates from set-to-set, from match-to-match and the swings in momentum are startling..
The Grand Slams will be hard to win as they demand consistency, but as long as there is hope..

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »
It's interesting that he's not playing any warmup events before the AO this year - a bit risky but he doesn't usually struggle with the early rounds anyway.
Of late, the Great One has shown signs that he is ripe for an early-round exit - this was most witnessed in his 5-set win over Benneteau at Wimbledon last. Had not the Frenchman been hobbled by injury, Roger could well have been knocked out..
Roger's form fluctuates from set-to-set, from match-to-match and the swings in momentum are startling..
The Grand Slams will be hard to win as they demand consistency, but as long as there is hope..

As long as there is hope and the love for the game, why not!  If he puts down the racquet that is a major life change for him.  If he loves playing tennis, which he has expressed that he does, and he is still playing at a top 10 level, I say keep playing and enjoy the game!

There will come a point where I will lose more 4.5 tennis matches in my USTA league.  I do not plan on quitting tennis or dropping to the 4.0 league just because I win less than I used to.  When I am no longer competitive at 4.5, or when it becomes not fun for me anymore, then maybe I will consider stepping down.  Until then...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2012, 08:26:22 PM »
Fed's been put out to pasture years ago.  :)>>>>

Am not gonna lie to you. I'm waiting for Federer's retirement. Want to live in a world where there's no Roger Federer. Ahhh....

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
Fed's been put out to pasture years ago.  :) >>>>

Am not gonna lie to you. I'm waiting for Federer's retirement. Want to live in a world where there's no Roger Federer. Ahhh....

Many want him to go, it tickles me that he's still going.  :har-har:

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »
He said he's "wounded" after he got soundly beaten by Berdych at the Open and what a match that was. A few more beatings like that and ....you never know.  :)~

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2012, 08:56:04 PM »
He said he's "wounded" after he got soundly beaten by Berdych at the Open and what a match that was. A few more beatings like that and ....you never know.  :)~

Berdych got lucky.  :rofl_2:

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2012, 09:19:22 PM »

Berdych got lucky.  :rofl_2:

I am sure he did.  :whistle:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2012, 12:12:51 PM »
Fed's been put out to pasture years ago.  :) >>>>

That would require his death.  You can rest assured he will be part of tennis in one way or another for years to come.  He may outlive us all.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2013, 05:43:30 PM »

As long as there is hope and the love for the game, why not!  If he puts down the racquet that is a major life change for him.  If he loves playing tennis, which he has expressed that he does, and he is still playing at a top 10 level, I say keep playing and enjoy the game!  ...............
I'll second that!  I love his game. Watching him play is a privilege. The winning / losing is beside the point.
Carpe Diem

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2013, 06:34:21 PM »

As long as there is hope and the love for the game, why not!  If he puts down the racquet that is a major life change for him.  If he loves playing tennis, which he has expressed that he does, and he is still playing at a top 10 level, I say keep playing and enjoy the game!  ...............

I'll second that!  I love his game. Watching him play is a privilege. The winning / losing is beside the point.

uh, oh ... privilege my ars  :)~. watch Djokovic and Nadal, they are real men. Federina can have something like this, not sure if it's feminine enough for her  :ice cream:

Offline tio_toni

• Tennis Player
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2013, 12:59:04 AM »
Not as long as Nadal keeps getting injured. 

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2013, 05:10:34 AM »
Federer has compromised his preparation for the Australian Open by participating in the Gillet Word Tour. A Berdych/Tsonga/Del Potro might just pop up and take him out. I mean, really, Federer at this point on his carrier should be very astute in the ways he prepares for tournaments. It only takes an unordered player to ruin what was otherwise a slam on a plate.
The world awaits no genius

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2013, 05:45:45 AM »

uh, oh ... privilege my ars  :)~. watch Djokovic and Nadal, they are real men. Federina can have something like this, not sure if it's feminine enough for her  :ice cream:

That is what the 'fashionistas' will call a 'sense of style'!! I am sure Nadal concurs- he of the shaven arms and chest!! As for Nole, his imitation of King Kong at the conclusion of the Aussie Open last year, will stamp his reputation as the ultimate brute of our times..

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2013, 05:56:36 AM »
I haven't had the privilege of watching Federer play live in a Slam so far. I've watched him play only at Abu Dhabi and Dubai so far. Hope to see him in Wimbledon in 2014/15. Fingers crossed!
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2013, 07:34:47 AM »
.......uh, oh ... privilege my ars  :)~. watch Djokovic and Nadal, they are real men. Federina can have something like this, not sure if it's feminine enough for her  :ice cream:
It is indeed a privilege to have an arse, Alex.  I wouldn't recommend going too far without it. 
As for my comment, I speak for what is a privilege for me, and don't require a committee vote on what should be a privilege for me.
And actually this thread is about Federer & the conversation was about his retirement. To that extent, Djokovic /  Nadal are irrelevant. But as you ask, no. To me neither Djokovic nor Nadal are inspirational. I enjoy Djokovic's game & he can play beautifully when not defensive.  I don't enjoy Nadal's style of play, so it is not a privilege to see him play.  I enjoy watching Murray play, but don't consider it a privilege. If this sticks in your arse, so be it. 
Carpe Diem