Author Topic: Is Federer retiring anytime soon ?  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
Re: Is Federer retiring anytime soon ?
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2013, 07:50:59 AM »
I haven't had the privilege of watching Federer play live in a Slam so far. I've watched him play only at Abu Dhabi and Dubai so far. Hope to see him in Wimbledon in 2014/15. Fingers crossed!

I enjoy the smaller tournaments too, Oracle - they have their own charm.  But seeing Federer at Wimbledon is a treat. I hope he is still competing in 2014/15 & if you do come to Wimbledon, let me know. It would be good to chew the cud over the days matches over a spot of lunch.   :)   
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2013, 08:03:49 AM »
Federer has compromised his preparation for the Australian Open by participating in the Gillet Word Tour. A Berdych/Tsonga/Del Potro might just pop up and take him out. I mean, really, Federer at this point on his carrier should be very astute in the ways he prepares for tournaments. It only takes an unordered player to ruin what was otherwise a slam on a plate.
How inconvenient of Federer to do as he wishes.  And if anyone thinks that there is a "slam on a plate" for Federer, given that most top players could beat him on a good day, I would suggest they think again. To say that the AO is a "slam on a plate" for Federer because Nadal is absent is beyond my understanding.  Djokovic & Murray - both excellent hard court players and tough rivals to overcome are still in it. The Berdych's / Tsonga's / Del Potro's etc have beaten Federer before & could conceivably do so again, regardless of whether he played the Gillette exhibition.   Enjoying his game is one thing.  Unrealistic expectations, another.  For me, what you say & imply about slams on plates are both unrealistic.   
Carpe Diem

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »
fed will retire from all competition at age 43. you heard it here first. :))

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2013, 09:22:57 AM »
.......uh, oh ... privilege my ars  :)~. watch Djokovic and Nadal, they are real men. Federina can have something like this, not sure if it's feminine enough for her  :ice cream:
It is indeed a privilege to have an arse, Alex.  I wouldn't recommend going too far without it. 
As for my comment, I speak for what is a privilege for me, and don't require a committee vote on what should be a privilege for me.
And actually this thread is about Federer & the conversation was about his retirement. To that extent, Djokovic /  Nadal are irrelevant. But as you ask, no. To me neither Djokovic nor Nadal are inspirational. I enjoy Djokovic's game & he can play beautifully when not defensive.  I don't enjoy Nadal's style of play, so it is not a privilege to see him play.  I enjoy watching Murray play, but don't consider it a privilege. If this sticks in your arse, so be it.
uh, oh again. hello, I was trolling ... I thought it was obvious.  :)).

I'll try harder.  Don't worry, Fed will never retire, he'll play forever and I love his hair and his nose is sexy. Fed will win Wimbledon 3 more times, Mirka will win some important pie contest.

do not idolize anybody. I assume you are young. Fed is just a tennis player with a big nose. your privilege should be yourself and your life, family etc. now I did it  :).

my privilege is to watch the best player in the world, number one, my God Djokovic and tease you along the way. why not?  :)~ ...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:26:07 AM by Alex »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »
so we have to put up with his nose for next 12 years. you just ruined my life. It's 8:30am in Calgary and I need a drink. Thanks Herc  :death: :laugh-bounce:

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2013, 11:02:36 AM »
.......uh, oh ... privilege my ars  :)~. watch Djokovic and Nadal, they are real men. Federina can have something like this, not sure if it's feminine enough for her  :ice cream:
It is indeed a privilege to have an arse, Alex.  I wouldn't recommend going too far without it. 
As for my comment, I speak for what is a privilege for me, and don't require a committee vote on what should be a privilege for me.
And actually this thread is about Federer & the conversation was about his retirement. To that extent, Djokovic /  Nadal are irrelevant. But as you ask, no. To me neither Djokovic nor Nadal are inspirational. I enjoy Djokovic's game & he can play beautifully when not defensive.  I don't enjoy Nadal's style of play, so it is not a privilege to see him play.  I enjoy watching Murray play, but don't consider it a privilege. If this sticks in your arse, so be it.

I'll try harder.  Don't worry, Fed will never retire, he'll play forever and I love his hair and his nose is sexy. Fed will win Wimbledon 3 more times, Mirka will win some important pie contest.

do not idolize anybody. I assume you are young. Fed is just a tennis player with a big nose. your privilege should be yourself and your life, family etc. now I did it  :).

my privilege is to watch the best player in the world, number one, my God Djokovic and tease you along the way. why not?  :)~ ...
Nice verb - "to troll!"    :)
I thought I was being amusing, Alex, knowing that you were not exactly being serious yourself. Ooooops!  Obviously my young age got in the way!   :rofl_2:   
As for looks - the eye of the beholder often has grit in it.  I am not infatuated with Federer. Just with his game.  I've never thought about his nose.  But Alex, I'm amazed at your multi-tasking abilities. You support the undoubted number one player in the world, troll this site & still have time to look at Federer's nose?       

Carpe Diem

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »
so we have to put up with his nose for next 12 years. you just ruined my life. It's 8:30am in Calgary and I need a drink. Thanks Herc  :death: :laugh-bounce:

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :))

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
Yes we will have to put up with Noserer for quite some time!
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »

You are tooo annoying and toooo right!!  :)) :))
You see, his Regal nose, allows Roger to inhale a greater volume of air each time, allowing him to glide across the court with effortless ease, while the mortals are grunting and shrieking in pursuit!! Its all part of the 'intelligent design', my dear Alex!!
Happy 2013!!

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »
You are tooo annoying and toooo right!!  :)) :))
You see, his Regal nose, allows Roger to inhale a greater volume of air each time, allowing him to glide across the court with effortless ease, while the mortals are grunting and shrieking in pursuit!! Its all part of the 'intelligent design', my dear Alex!!
Happy 2013!!

It's actually scientific fact that large nostrils/nasal passages create more efficient oxygen exchange - something an elite athlete would use an edge!

Ask yourself this. Have you ever seen Federer huffing & puffing during any match even when he had mono? Even against Nadal his hair might be out of place, but you never see him doubled over in pain like Djokovic.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:48:06 PM by FedFanForever »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
hm, Fed has never had any mono. mono was delivered to him by Djokovic in 2008 at the AO in 3 sets when Novak played out of his mind (probably the best Djokovic you'll ever see, aggressive tennis, just beautiful, watch that match again and learn btw).

It's too bad I haven't seen Nole playing like that for a long time. yeah, I know 2011 etc. not good in enough in my book (it's working but still).

and again stop with this mono shmono crap. FFF, behave or else (I'll make you watch Justin Beiber's videos for 24 hours :)>>>> ...

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »

As long as there is hope and the love for the game, why not!  If he puts down the racquet that is a major life change for him.  If he loves playing tennis, which he has expressed that he does, and he is still playing at a top 10 level, I say keep playing and enjoy the game!  ...............
I'll second that!  I love his game. Watching him play is a privilege. The winning / losing is beside the point.

A privilege is when you realize that 50% of the world populations live under just $2 and you are not one of them.

Watching Federer is a luxury.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2013, 05:43:04 PM »

As long as there is hope and the love for the game, why not!  If he puts down the racquet that is a major life change for him.  If he loves playing tennis, which he has expressed that he does, and he is still playing at a top 10 level, I say keep playing and enjoy the game!  ...............
I'll second that!  I love his game. Watching him play is a privilege. The winning / losing is beside the point.

A privilege is when you realize that 50% of the world populations live under just $2 and you are not one of them.

Watching Federer is a luxury.
Sure, Emma.  Context is everything.  Given your context, of course one is privileged to have so much, when so many have so little.  A privilege & a blessing. And an enormous responsibilty. You'll get no argument from me on that.

However, you are mistaken in your seeming assumption that yours is the correct use of "privilege"  In English parlance, it is appropriate to say " it was a privilege to meet xxx"  when one meets someone one respects or admires.  In sport, as on this tennis site, it is correct to say that it is a privilege to watch a favourite player.  And that has been my use of the word.

Your point could be construed as patronising and a tad presumptive. That you know better than me how to express what I mean. That I have overlooked the poor & needy in saying that watching Federer is a privilege.  This presumption speaks volumes. You are not my judge.
Carpe Diem

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2013, 06:30:53 PM »
Privilege - a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most: the privileges of the very rich.

I am not mistaken because you were imposing. It's very hard for you to expect that someone doesn't like Federer so you feel the need to highlight it as "privilege".
Keep in mind what followed the comment. It's not exactly rocket science to figure it out exactly what context this was meant. In fact, it's pretty straight forward.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2013, 08:56:30 PM »
emma has style. they say that style is eternal. :)) :))

you tell em how it really is emma.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2013, 01:49:56 AM »
Federer isn't retiring until 2027.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
Privilege - a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most: the privileges of the very rich.

I am not mistaken because you were imposing. It's very hard for you to expect that someone doesn't like Federer so you feel the need to highlight it as "privilege".
Keep in mind what followed the comment. It's not exactly rocket science to figure it out exactly what context this was meant. In fact, it's pretty straight forward.

Loooool!  From my comment of how I find it a privilege to watch Federer play, it seems one must justify  not just my use of the word privilege, but  why one feels privileged to watch Federer play live but not the others!!    :rofl_2:

Actually, I don’t have to justify what I say, to you or anyone else Emma, but in the context of sharing this forum, we are neighbours, and I’d like to come back to you on this in that regard, as a matter of courtesy.

Firstly, I find it bizarre to go from talk of half the population of the world living on less than $2 dollars a day in relation to my use of “privilege,”   to saying that my having said I find it a privilege to watch  Federer play, but not the others is an imposition. 

As for my intentions, I know these better than you.  It isn’t rocket science, and is in fact blindingly obvious that tennis fans will find different players more rewarding to watch than others & who they consider a privilege to watch live will also differ.  Quite why this would be an imposition upon others is difficult to understand except of course that I happen to enjoy Federer’s game & this is probably your problem.   Any comment praising Federer or appreciating him is what you seem to object to & it seems to be a mission of yours to denigrate him & his fans.  I have specifically clarified that his game is a privilege for me to see & not the others,  because this is how I feel.     I am not interested in persuading others, nor do I insist that they must find it a privilege too, and nothing in what I have said  could be construed as such.  Except of course that you wish to make an issue of it.

As for privilege, you took the trouble to look up a definition of the word, but only selectively to try & prove your point. In doing so, you overlooked the context in which I have used the word.  As I have said, context is everything. From poverty ridden people to reading my mind ( which is not rocket science to you because you now better than me what I mean! )  your assumptions are both tedious & offensive.

Here is an alternative definition of “privilege” together with a link to the source, just in case you only have one definition of the word .
“” 3. [singular] something that you are proud and lucky to have the opportunity to do
SYNONYM honour
I hope to have the privilege of working with them again.
It was a great privilege to hear her sing.””
http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/privilege_1

In my use of the word, the context is “ it is a privilege to watch him play live”  meaning Federer.

I know my needs better than you & the only need I had when saying what I did was to highlight that I consider his game alone worthy of the word “privilege”.   This is my view, not an imposition.
That is it from me on this.  You are welcome to have the last word.
Carpe Diem

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »
Nothing wrong with Gawdblessya's post, IMHO. I feel privileged to watch Federer play just like I felt privileged to watch Pandit Ravi Shankar play the sitar or Tendulkar's masterclasses against the Aussies in Sharjah 1998.
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »
people, listen. I'm serious now. Why would Rog retire? He is ranked #2 in the world. He loves playing. He won W last year. it doesn't make any sense to me. he should just keep going till he can.

Gosh, I'm a Fedtard now, I think  ..-)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »
I can't see Roger retiring any time soon,as Alex says he won wimby last year.I more think can Nadal get back 2 where he was???