Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Mertov's Tennis Desk

<< < (5/32) > >>

euroka1:
Thinking this over, I have no objection to the big tennis organizations making money, from corporations and otherwise, as long as they provide a good product with good value, which the Australian Open mostly is. But the recruitment and training of the young up and coming players should be left to the tennis pros and coaches. The old apprentice system has worked very well in the past in many fields. I myself benefited from it in my own.

Mertov:
Euroka, I finally got around to listening to all the interviews and everything.  Especially watching the 45 minute report with interviews of a variety of people gave me the impression that there is definitely something fishy going on with the few people operating in a way to monopolize the ressources.  There is definitely a smaller version of the 'Halliburton' scheme going on.  First of all, I never understood how Craig Tiley got such an important job without much to back it up in the qualification department.  Yes, he did resurrect the men's tennis program at University of Illinois and brought them to number one in NCAA.  He had nothing else in his resume up to that point.  But how can that be enough to be hired as the Director of Tennis at Tennis Australia when there are so many others with much better accomplishments?  Just as an indication of how lucrative it must be for Tiley, he was in the short list for Illinois' AD job in 2011, and he did not even consider it.  Let's see how lomg this small group will concentrate the power in the hands of the few before they are finally ousted.  Without considerable success in tennis, their credibility will suffer.

On to something else:
The latest article is up, and it's about the US vs. Serbia Davis Cup with extended input on American Tennis.  I talked to an old friend of mine who is close to a walking tennis encyclopedia, who has been involved with tennis for almost four decades, and who now runs his tennis academy in Boise, ID.
http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/2013/04/09/the-us-vs-serbia-davis-cup-tie-aftermath-a-closer-look

Best

Alex:
Mert, that article is so good on so many different levels. Thanks for posting. so many great touches, the way Djokovic was training, American general attitude and what actually is wrong with American tennis nowadays. fantastic.

Gawdblessya:

--- Quote from: Mertov on February 15, 2013, 07:25:27 PM ---Hi guys,

The latest article is up for those interested, Q & A with Pat Cash.

http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/q-a-with-pat-cash

Mertov

--- End quote ---

Thanks for this article, Mertov. Late catch, but interesting reading.

This quote from Cash made me laugh out loud:

".... Ventures to the net will be to shake hands and thatís about it..... "     :))

Pat is often candid in his views - we have him on BBC Radio as a commentator - and I enjoy his take on things, even if I disagree with him.   

Whilst watching the Wawrinka match in Casablanca yesterday, I felt a twinge of sadness when the commentator praised a beautiful point by SW, but added how his style of tennis - SV -  was dying out. It seems the refrain of how the game lacks variety & flair, is now oft repeated.  To what avail, one wonders?   I wouldn't wish to presume any influence, but do request that, if possible, you consider doing a piece on how things might change to re-introduce an all court game again. 

I'd be interested to know what those on the ground are thinking about, if anything.  Thanks.

--- Quote from: Mertov on April 12, 2013, 06:17:33 PM ---
.......On to something else:
The latest article is up, and it's about the US vs. Serbia Davis Cup with extended input on American Tennis............. 

--- End quote ---

I enjoyed reading this interview, Mertov, and Jim Moortgat's  excellent responses.  My respect for Djokovic, already considerable,  increases when I read how hard he works & takes nothing for granted when prepping.  And I can relate to his "soft" comment as far as British tennis is concerned too.   

euroka1:
Hullo Mert,

Thanks for your comment on Australian tennis and thanks also for the new article, which is very perceptive.

:book: 
I am reading at the moment a rather good book called  The Bonobo and the Atheist: In Search of Humanism Among the Primates by Frans De Vaal. (It is a very good read, incidentally.) In the discussion of primate communities, I cannot help being reminded of Davis Cup teams and their supporters in the stands. When a primate community loses its alpha-male, it becomes uncoordinated and undisciplined without the individual present to pump enthusiasm, care, and motivation into the group. In Davis Cup, the US has lost Roddick, with no obvious replacement, while Serbia now has Djokovic as its alpha-male. The ageing Hewitt still performs this task on the Australian team.... and so on  :) . To what extent does the formal team captain fill this role? I've never felt  PMac or Courier very effective in this.

From the inside, what do you think?

The same, incidentally, applies to scientific collaborations, although there one more often has an alpha-female.  :))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version