Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Mertov's Tennis Desk

<< < (7/32) > >>

Gawdblessya:
Thanks, I hear you too, Mertov, loud & clear.  The dilemma writ large. One hopes that a more varied game will find at least some root in up & coming youngsters. 

And your response to Alex, in relation to the culture / how youngsters are brought up to play, is thought provoking. Something isn't "clicking"  - not just in the US, but in Britain too & it seems, also in Australia. We have Murray of course, but who else? 

euroka1:
Hi GBY,

Mertov and I talked about the Australian situation earlier in the thread and it is much the same as the US. But while I feel bad about the inability of the present system  to  provide top class tennis players, I do think we do a pretty good job in spreading the word about tennis to young kids who are never going to become anywhere near pros but who can take advantages of the community contacts that the sport offers. The program that the Washington Tennis and Education Foundation does locally here in getting them off the streets and hitting tennis balls is a worthy endeavor in itself even if it has not produced a champion (yet).  It is always a good feeling to see these kids hitting away on the side courts at the time that the pros come to town for the annual 500 tournament.

Gawdblessya:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on April 14, 2013, 06:37:30 PM ---......The program that the Washington Tennis and Education Foundation does locally here in getting them off the streets and hitting tennis balls is a worthy endeavor in itself even if it has not produced a champion (yet).  It is always a good feeling to see these kids hitting away on the side courts at the time that the pros come to town for the annual 500 tournament.

--- End quote ---

Hello Euroka.  Thanks for the reminder that in the scheme of things, establishing a system of paricipation / healthy tennis culture at grassroots level is worthwhile in itself.  The social aspect that Mertov mentions, and the sense of participation & fun that you point to, are perhaps the foundation for establishing the sport in the "everyman" psyche.  Which can only be a good thing.

It is inevitable that most discussions here will turn to the professional game, but it is indeed worth noting that a lot of good work is being done to promote the sport & engage "ordinary" people.

I thought this article was interesting, and provides an insight into our system of selection of talented players. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/9948995/The-next-head-of-British-tennis-has-a-simple-task-create-a-conveyor-belt-of-Andy-Murray-clones.html

Alex:
Mertov, how do you feel about the draw at RG? What's your feeling? favorites, dark horses? potential upsets?

Mertov:
Hi Alex,

I have not looked that much in detail to the draws, but on the women's side, I am expecting an upset or two.  Serena is not a write-in at the French although she is clearly the best player on the tour now.  I am afraid onthe other hand that an outsider goes to the finals and we have a 38 minute match again..

On the men's side, I think it's unfair that Djokovic and Nadal are on the same side.  That would have been the Sunday final that everyone would have liked to see.  Personally, I would like to see Tsonga have a breakthrough tournament and go the finals from Federer's side.  It would be fun to watch a Djokovic or a Nadal play against a confident Tsonga in the finals.  I do not believe guys like Raonic, Wawrinka and Dmitrov will be push overs when they face the top seeds, I even believe that there is a chance that Federer, Ferrer, Nadal, and Djokovic semifinals line-up is not likely.  I am expecting a major upset or two (I know I am in the minority there).
I will chime in on the Roland Garros thread whenever I can with the matches.

I have started Roland Garros updates by the way, for those interested.

First one was back on Monday:
http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/show.dml/62748982

Second one was yesterday evening:
http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/2013/05/24/roland-garros-update-2-anecdotes-from-the-qualifying-week

I will continue to update as frequently as I can.  Since the scores and match reports can be followed from any site, I will try to stick mostly to interesting anecdotes from Roland Garros,

Best

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version