Author Topic: Mertov's Tennis Desk  (Read 7837 times)

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
Re: Mertov's Tennis Desk
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2013, 06:34:41 AM »
Euroka, although I give Ferrer little over a zero chance to even win a set from Nadal, you have crossed my mind often as he zipped through player after player each round.  He may go down as one of the most underrated guys to ever get into top 5.  He walks by the crowd sometimes here and hardly anybody notices him :)  Tommy Robredo was like this too when he was top 10, he was a regular citizen walking on the grounds as far as every crosspasser is concerned..
The crowd was ready to explode and get totally behind Tsonga at 5-4 set point, but it did not happen.  Had he won that set, who knows, they may still be playing now!
Monstertruck, that is kind of how I feel too..  On to the grass.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2013, 07:25:30 AM »
I was looking forward to your 10th instalment, Mertov.  Both parts are full of thought provoking points / insights as usual!  Thanks.

I agree that Ferrer has little chance of beating Nadal, but this observation of yours might, if he follows through, make it more of a contest.  One can hope! :

“”””Perhaps the most telling statistic of the match is the number of times the players came to the net. If anyone said before the match that the match would consist of backcourt rallies, everyone would have most likely given the edge to Ferrer. Tsonga’s chances would increase as he would force the point with aggressive shots or even attack the net. Not only did Tsonga not get aggressive, but he was actually too passive. David Ferrer, one of the ultimate baseliners on the ATP Tour, came to the net 20 times through the match, five times more than Tsonga!”””””

And your assessment of the Nadal / Djokovic sf is an excellent reminder of why Nadal is so formidable and effective, even when playing under pressure.

Enjoy the ladies bot finals won'y you!  The Bryans too are in the final ( surprise, surprise! ) Much as I like & admire them, I'm supporting Llodra / Mahut  as the underdogs!   :)     
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2013, 07:28:37 AM »
............talk about motivating!  I may not care much for his style of play or what I perceive as gamesmanship, but there is no denying he is the ultimate warrior on the court.
Copy that, verbatim.
Carpe Diem

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2013, 08:17:27 AM »
Euroka, although I give Ferrer little over a zero chance to even win a set from Nadal, you have crossed my mind often as he zipped through player after player each round.  He may go down as one of the most underrated guys to ever get into top 5.  He walks by the crowd sometimes here and hardly anybody notices him :)  Tommy Robredo was like this too when he was top 10, he was a regular citizen walking on the grounds as far as every crosspasser is concerned..
The crowd was ready to explode and get totally behind Tsonga at 5-4 set point, but it did not happen.   Had he won that set, who knows, they may still be playing now!
Monstertruck, that is kind of how I feel too..  On to the grass.

Indeed, the crowd tension came across on TV at that point in the match.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »
Tsonga is misunderstood by so many.

There are no woulda, coulda, shouldas with this man. But he remains an enigma to most for reasons beyond my comprehension...

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2013, 08:03:48 PM »

There are no woulda, coulda, shouldas with this man. But he remains an enigma to most for reasons beyond my comprehension...
Oh, I know who he is, and yet I still love his game.

Why on earth run with the herd?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:04:41 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »

Liking his game and expecting him to play well enough to win are apples to oranges, mang.

Peak = FH, enthusiasm, serve, athleticism, attacking, showmanship
Irrecoverable Valley = BH, enthusiasm, determination, heart, mind

I don't care what he's done in quarterfinals, or even after he beat Rafa to reach the final of AO, when this dute gets in a valley during a big match, he stays.

If you want to go all the way back to his AO final, he took the first set off Djokovic and made a world of believers. Then he hit the valley of no return...completely flat...and lost the next 3 sets. Hasn't delivered following a big win ever. It's not about the game, it's a matter of heart and mind.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:42:27 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2013, 01:57:46 PM »

Liking his game and expecting him to play well enough to win are apples to oranges, mang.

I don't care what he's done in quarterfinals, or even after he beat Rafa to reach the final of AO, when this dute gets in a valley during a big match, he stays.

If you want to go all the way back to his AO final, he took the first set off Djokovic and made a world of believers. Then he hit the valley of no return...completely flat...and lost the next 3 sets. Hasn't delivered following a big win ever. It's not about the game, it's a matter of heart and mind.
I have no expectations when it come to Tsonga.  Only hopes and dreams.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2013, 07:22:44 AM »
Thanks, Mert, for the last two updates.  :thank-you:

I have to confess that I enjoyed watching the whole of the men's  final.  :applause:  The outcome was always clear, which to some extent meant that one could relax and appreciate the tennis.
The only thing that annoyed me was the guy who ran onto the court and temporarily disrupted the game. It must be scary if you are a player  :scared: .

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2013, 05:57:01 PM »
Thanks Euroka!
I actually enjoyed until 5-3 in the first set too, but you could tell the air came out of Ferrer at that point.
I appreciate your feedback and everyone else's as always.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:57:34 PM by Mertov »

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2013, 07:27:59 PM »
great to have general mertov here.

:)) :))

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »
Hello Mertov.  I just went to have a look at your blog, and found this article. I thought it was an excellent take on some issues that show how positive changes have come about for the lower ranked players.

Wimbledon 1913 and 2013 in Men’s Tennis: Pioneers of a Century Ago and Today

One of the many surprises during Wimbledon’s first week was the defeat of the defending champion Roger Federer at the hands of the Ukrainian Sergiy Stakhovsky. The 116-ranked Stakhovsky, who has never before reached third round at Wimbledon in his career, ended perhaps the most impressive record in tennis, Federer’s streak of getting to the quarterfinals or better, 36 Slams in succession. While millions around the world viewed this match, very few of them knew that the two players have been involved in a major battle that lasted over 15 months on a different platform – and this time not as adversaries but rather side by side – one that will prove to be much more important for the development of the sport than their 4-set encounter on that Thursday afternoon.        .....

http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/2013/07/06/wimbledon-1913-and-2013-in-men-s-tennis-pioneers-of-a-century-ago-and-today
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:29:02 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2013, 08:48:37 AM »
Gawd, I love the article and Mertov is so smart.

However, W this year was fixed.

I don't buy it for a second. probably the biggest cheating in tennis history ever. just a joke.

Bartoli and Shmurray  :rofl_2: ... and Serena lost to whom? players getting injured/withdrawing  left and right. Nadal out in R1. Fed out in R2. Guys who beat them lost in the next round. kidding me?

Why the heck did they let Djokovic to play the final? well, I guess they had to make it legit  ..-). Smurray def. the #1 guy.

I lost all of my respect for W ... not even gonna watch it next year or ever. it's pathetic.

feel bad for Murray fans who might think it was real.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:56:45 AM by Alex »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
Great stuff as usual Mertov.
Nice to know the ATP players are making some headway.
I can't imagine what some of these lower ranked players go through just to make a living.

Alex, I thought Wimby this year was a bit messy and didn't provide as many quality matches (at least what I saw) as usual.  Nice to see tennis history made with Andy (not Roddick) finally lifting the cup and I'm sure his fans are super excited as well.  I was hoping you might have the inside scoop on Nole's apparent let down in the final.  Aside from the fact that Murray played better of course.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
I can't imagine what some of these lower ranked players go through just to make a living.

Alex, I thought Wimby this year was a bit messy and didn't provide as many quality matches (at least what I saw) as usual.  Nice to see tennis history made with Andy (not Roddick) finally lifting the cup and I'm sure his fans are super excited as well.  I was hoping you might have the inside scoop on Nole's apparent let down in the final.  Aside from the fact that Murray played better of course.

AR ... miss him ... people call him a serve bot ... He was "fine  on clay" .... people forget things
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:36:25 PM by Alex »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2013, 05:50:27 PM »

AR ... miss him ... people call him a serve bot ... He was "fine  on clay" .... people forget things
Perhaps on the surface that's how he appeared to some fans.
I always appreciated his lunch pail ethic and straight shooter approach.
His attitude got a little pissy at times, but hey, we all now what that's like, ehhhh? ;-() 

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2013, 08:18:29 AM »

Bud, I watched that match many times. Novak lost the first set by one silly lob, but Djokovic was on fire the whole 2008 AO. nobody, not even mighty Fed was able to do anything about Djoko.

Tsonga's biggest problem is that he is prone to injuries and he is can't move as well as the top guys. It's too bad because he is so talented. tennis become so physical.

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 08:52:33 PM »
Thanks CD, GBY, MT and Alex. I wish I could write more often.  In the middle of a busy period here..

Alex, I don't know about the "fixing" issue..   ;-()

Best

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
Thanks CD, GBY, MT and Alex. I wish I could write more often.  In the middle of a busy period here..

Alex, I don't know about the "fixing" issue..   ;-()

Best
it's just my paranoia. I read some stuff that make me believe that Djoko lost on purpose. it's too complicated but it doesn't really matter.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:19:23 PM by Alex »

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2013, 10:24:55 PM »
Hi everyone,

I will be sending in updates from the Cincinnati tournament on the Tennis Desk.

http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/

Just trying to keep up with Euroka both on the grounds and on his insights :)

Best