Author Topic: Mertov's Tennis Desk  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Mertov's Tennis Desk
« on: November 29, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »
I need to get this on the homepage of Tennis4you as well, I just need to find the time.  As always, Mertov is writing some superb articles about tennis.  Always a great read for sure.  I can still remember a decade ago he had a tennis radio show I think on Tuesday nights, I always listened in as Mertov has amazing insight.  Anyhoo, his latest article is up:

Stellar 2012 in Tennis! Well, Almost...
http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/

Enjoy!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Re: Mertov's Tennis Desk
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »
maybe we can start his own thread at the chat section. go ahead and fire it up general scott.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »
I also enjoy reading Mertov's articles  :coffee:. He provides a different perspective from what we normally get over here in the US and has been deeply involved in the game as a player and a coach. I suggest people add the link given by Scott to their favorites list.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 10:44:07 PM »
good work general scot.  :))

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »
Thanks Scott, Euroka and Cd.  I wish I could find time to write more frequently, and more than that, stop by here more often.  I am absolutely slammed until Christmas but I hope to change that after that.

Best

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:31:13 AM »
Mertov has a good article up today about the 20/25 second rule enforcement.  :coffee:

http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Mertov's Tennis Desk
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 10:49:55 PM »
Always good stuff from Mertov!
Scott Baker

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »
Thanks guys.  Seeing that Djokovic played more tennis in terms of time-on-court & games-played in one match than Sharapova played in all four matches, it reminded me of an article I wrote on Oct 12, 2012:
http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/2012/10/13/best-of-five-sets-in-slams-for-women

Surely, Billie Jean King did not find the Djokovic-Wawrinka match boring, did she?!?!

Mertov

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Re: Mertov's Tennis Desk
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »
Thanks guys.  Seeing that Djokovic played more tennis in terms of time-on-court & games-played in one match than Sharapova played in all four matches, it reminded me of an article I wrote on Oct 12, 2012:

Surely, Billie Jean King did not find the Djokovic-Wawrinka match boring, did she?!?!

Mertov

Bad idea...but one commonly held by many. We've had this discussion every year for the past 8 years.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:10:34 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »

Mertov

She probably did, Mert. Some of the ladies in my mixed doubles group were bored. As said elsewhere, I was not.

Regardless of equal effort for equal pay, I wonder how best of 5 for the WTA would impact the scheduling at the slams, which already seems tight. I was reminded of how some years ago, Lleyton Hewitt got into trouble with the Williams sisters by publicly voicing the wish that the ladies would hurry up so that we could get to the real business of the evening.

Having said that, I am really looking forward to the women's matches on 1/22 at the AO. They should be good ones.  :)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »

Mertov

She probably did, Mert. Some of the ladies in my mixed doubles group were bored. As said elsewhere, I was not.

Regardless of equal effort for equal pay, I wonder how best of 5 for the WTA would impact the scheduling at the slams, which already seems tight. I was reminded of how some years ago, Lleyton Hewitt got into trouble with the Williams sisters by publicly voicing the wish that the ladies would hurry up so that we could get to the real business of the evening.

Having said that, I am really looking forward to the women's matches on 1/22 at the AO. They should be good ones.  :)

That's one not so insignificant factor that plays against this bad idea. They tried best of 5 at the YE event as recently as 1990 IIRC. If it was a good idea, it would have stuck. I'm sure there were many reasons and rationalizations for the WTA and ITF to come to the conclusion that it wasn't a good idea -- heck, maybe it was the networks that put the kibosh on the idea. So they dropped it. Women's matches are rarely compelling, anyway. If they're well contested, they can be on the court +2:30 and everyone is happy. If they're a mismatch, I want them off the court ASAP. 1:00-1:15 is just fine with me. Get off the court so I can watch good tennis and pick up your big, fat check. I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that women are well paid. I don't even understand why this is a problem. In fact, there was a time not so long ago (early 2000s) when the WTA was arguably the bigger draw.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:44:45 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »
Could well have been the networks. Raking in the money is the overriding consideration. $$$$$$$$

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 11:32:47 PM »

Mertov

Hi Euroka,

As I also said in the article, my point has nothing to do with the equal pay aspect (although my proposed solution would indirectly solve that too), I think equal pay should have been in place long time ago.

On the more pertinent topic, surely even the ladies at your club would agree that 35-minute-long 6/0 6/1 matches are more boring that Djokovic vs. Wawrinka.  I personally enjoy a good tennis match whether it's played by women or men.  I don't differentiate or presuppose that one is better than the other.  If I enjoy the tennis played on the court, that's all I ask as a tennis fan.  For example, I would have loved to see more of the US Open Women's final, I was really enjoying it.  Look at how many average two set matches in men's won by the same player have turned into epic semi-finals or finals over the years on the men's side.

The scheduling would not be a problem if you play two out of three until the quarters (or semis) both in the men and women.  If that was the case, this year for example, scheduling would have been a breeze until this point. And once the number of matches to be played has decreased considerably (which is always the case once the quarterfinals are reached) then three-out-of-five scheduling could easily be done.  If they wanted to do it, they could easily do it. The real reason is that most women players don't want to give up the advantage of playing a short match, and I believe that is where the tennis fan is being shortchanged.  Many fans would love to see the women's finals on a Slam, but they don't want to risk paying the large sum of money  when the prospect of a 44-minute match looms large.

Mertov
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:34:58 PM by Mertov »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 02:30:59 AM »
Thanks Mert,

That's an interesting alternative way of scheduling. I'd be happy.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:41:06 AM by euroka1 »

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »
Hi guys,

The latest article is up for those interested, Q & A with Pat Cash.

http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/q-a-with-pat-cash

Mertov

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 04:51:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing Mertov! :))
 I've always enjoyed Pat's tennis and it's nice to hear his thoughts on the game.
Excellent questions on your part.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 09:58:57 AM »
Good stuff indeed, I read it yesterday form the email and meant to post it.  Make me want to read his book, I have not done so.
Scott Baker

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »
Another great article , Mert. Thanks for doing this. I have not read the book but maybe I should. Generally I avoid autobiography as a literary form as so often it is mainly devoted to telling the truth about other people. A probing biography is often much better.

Those were interesting responses to good questions. I particularly liked Pat Cash's insights, as a purist,  into the way he thought pro tennis would go in the next 5-10 years and his commenting about venturing to the net (or not) on current surfaces.

I would have liked to have heard more about his thoughts on the future of Australian Tennis. There was a critical investigative feature on  "The State of Play" of the game in Australia which was aired on Australian TV in 2010.

Here is the link:
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2010/s2831274.htm

There are some good comments and clips of Pat Cash and a younger Lleyton Hewitt there. It is clear from Pat's comments to Mertov that things have not changed all that much. If you don't get around to watching the whole show I reproduce an summary that came along with it below. A lot of it sounds familiar to us here in the US in the way tennis is tied to corporate business and the TV networks resulting in TV and even match scheduling that is not in the interests of promoting the game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The State of Play
Reporter: Debbie Whitmont
Broadcast: 01/03/2010
In "The State of Play" reporter Debbie Whitmont talks to the people at the top of the game and reveals the deals and the feuds that have divided the sport.
Tennis Australia is the body that controls the sport in this country. It runs one of the world's most successful tennis tournaments, the Australian Open. It's never been in a better financial situation but it's sidelined the nation's top male player, it refuses to employ the best coaches and it simply can't produce champions. The question is why?

In January this year Australia's top ranked female tennis player Samantha Stosur found her much anticipated match against Serena Williams dumped from the prime time television schedule. Network Seven decided news, current affairs and a soapie were more likely to provide ratings.

Tennis Australia, the body with the job of promoting the sport in Australia, didn't argue. Instead it stood to pocket a healthy bonus for Network Seven's ratings victory but the episode left a major question hanging over the sport.
Whitmont: "Do you think the people who run the game really care about it? Really care about the sport?"
Lleyton Hewitt: "Ah, I'm not sure. I don't know".
Lleyton Hewitt isn't the only one wondering whether the people who run the sport of tennis really care about the game. A virtual who's who of Australian tennis past and present are now openly questioning the way Tennis Australia has restructured the sport in this country, and who is benefiting from the changes.

The critics claim that Tennis Australia has centralised the control of the sport in an attempt to improve the game's bottom line but has forgotten about the players in the process. As one respected player manager put it:
"Tennis Australia seems to be wanting control over everything that happens in this country with regards to tennis. Any financial dealing in this country, Tennis Australia wants to have a piece of it... and that's wrong."
Tennis Australia's Director of Tennis, Craig Tiley, rejects this view:
"Right from the beginning we've been accused of being too controlling and wanting to have it only our way or the highway. Those are all just simply not true."

Despite this assurance, Four Corners has uncovered significant evidence that power has been centralised into the hands of just a few tennis administrators. According to those who know the sport, this means players are not getting the best coaches available and critics are frozen out.

The main independent coaches association has been "absorbed" into Tennis Australia. The country's "tennis bible" - Australian Tennis Magazine - has been bought out. Even the kids' tennis charity has been scuppered.

Discontent in tennis clubs around the country is increasing. One club has been told it must install a certain type of court surface or face the prospect of losing its tournament. Why is just one surface favoured and who benefits from the installation of this type of court?

The questions don't end there. This week, Four Corners explores allegations that when former tennis star and respected sports administrator, Paul McNamee, challenged for the Presidency of Tennis Australia last year, powerful figures close to the current administration told voting delegates that if McNamee won the job government funding for the country's premier tennis facility would be endangered and Channel 7's broadcast deal might be in jeopardy.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:29:20 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 04:38:36 PM »
Nice article Mertov, always interesting to get a viewpoint from someone who's been there.

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »
Thanks guys.  I should have done that with Pat C. before, I don't know why I waited so long... 

Euroka, as soon as I find some time, I will look at the contents of the link.  Especially the interviews with Craig Tiley and the players peak my curiosity.  I will stop by to comment on them if necessary.

Best