Author Topic: Mertov's Tennis Desk  (Read 9084 times)

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: Mertov's Tennis Desk
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2013, 10:27:03 PM »
Thx for updates Mertov, as always, much appreciated  ;-()
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2013, 02:51:27 AM »
Mertov's comments filled out the day for me too, even though I was sitting beside him for much of it  :applause: :shocking:

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2013, 09:45:16 AM »
Thanks for another interesting update, Mertov.  Itís nice to hear from you again. And I hope you & Euroka  will enjoy the rest of the tournament.
After your comment below, Iíll be interested to watch Hingis play if I can. She & Hantuchova  face Errani / Vinci next  _ I hope I can watch it.

ďĒOn a separate note, Hingis looks extremely fit and hits the ball well. Her concentration was excellent, and quite frankly, it was her play that generated the comeback in the second set, and then, her fantastic decision-making skills that made the difference in the ten-point decisive tiebreaker for the third set. It was nice to see her play live again, but more importantly, see her enjoy playing.ĒĒ

The Baker / Dimitrov match is one of my ones to watch, and more so after your following comment:
ďĒSo this week, Baker is once again re-activating his career in major ATP tournaments. One lesson from Bakerís story: if I am a guy playing in the Main Draw of a Masters Series tournament, I would not want to draw Baker as an opponent during his comeback trail.ĒĒ 

I know little about Baker & will keep an eye on him. Good for him to stay determined to play despite his injuries. 
Carpe Diem

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »
Thanks CD, GBY, MT and Alex. I wish I could write more often.  In the middle of a busy period here..

Alex, I don't know about the "fixing" issue..   ;-()

Best
Whatever time you have to share your thoughts with us here is much appreciated!  Even a post with the link to your desk is fine.  I hope you are enjoying your time in Cinncy and meeting up with Euroka.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
Thanks Lugburz, GBY and MT..

Here is the second one I posted last night:
http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/show.dml/83929242

In the middle of life, writing the article, posting it, and making sure a notice email is sent to all my friends about the new article, sometimes I simply run out of time and can't stop by, sorry.  But you know where to find them in case that happens :)

Best

PS:  Have not seen euroka today, we have been watching different courts so far I guess :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:52:50 PM by Mertov »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2013, 05:50:47 PM »
Mettov, that was a great read. very insightful. That part with Janowitcz refusing to show his badge and acting like a lunatic worries me. I like his game but he's done stuff like this before. He must learn how to control his temper. a big turn off for me.

Another interesting part was about only 80 people watching Peneta, while a few hundreds were watching Murray's training session. kinda sad. 

Thanks.

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »
Thanks Alex.
Here is the latest from today (#3):

http://my.opera.com/mertov/blog/

Late news: Bartoli announced her retirement from the game about an hour ago!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2013, 12:02:36 AM »
wow, I can't believe she is retiring. I've never really liked her game style but she seems to be a really nice girl. Good luck to her. too bad she couldn't make it to the USO and announce her retirement there. Those empty seats are scary. It looks like the women's tennis is dead  :zipped:.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2013, 04:53:40 AM »
wow, I can't believe she is retiring. I've never really liked her game style but she seems to be a really nice girl. Good luck to her. too bad she couldn't make it to the USO and announce her retirement there. Those empty seats are scary. It looks like the women's tennis is dead  :zipped:.

It makes all the difference, Alex, if Mertov is sitting there beside you for one of the ladies games.
 :dance 2: :nerdy:
Great report from the practice courts, Mert. Glad you were there. For temperamental reasons, I tend to avoid crowd scenes and would otherwise miss what is going on.  :))

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2013, 06:11:56 AM »
Thanks Alex.
Here is the latest from today (#3):

Late news: Bartoli announced her retirement from the game about an hour ago!
What a stunning piece of news!
A 'breaking news flash' came up on Tennis Channel last night.
Next thing you know, Bartoli is choking back tears as she announces her retirement out of the blue.  Sounds like she just burned out.

Though a quirky player with an odd service motion, I admired her pluck.
I hope she finds peace in her decision.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2013, 08:04:27 AM »
Iím glad I checked your thread Mertov Ė another excellent read in your updates 2/3/4.  Many thanks for taking the trouble to post them here.

Fognini is a character!  I remember some minor tournament in Brazil a couple of years ago when he had words with Robredo, & refused to shake hands at the net!  Then , after getting booed by the crowd, he decided to offer his hand & Robredo refused to take it!   The top players are perhaps too intent on their game & deprive us of such ď entertainment!Ē   Anyway, Fognini has improved form more recently & after reading your report, I hope he doesnít  lose focus again.   Looool at Stepenek wanting to leave the court quickly! 

Janowicz does seem to be an emotional type Ė I hope he learns  to deploy his frustrations more constructively as it is likely heíll lose more matches in his career!

I enjoyed the Stephens / Sharapova match.  It was nice to see SS maintaining her belief & serving the out.  As much as the look on her face was wonderful to see, I enjoyed the inscrutable Connors visage too!  I suspect thereíll be some straight talking in the MS camp between now & the USO!

I particularly enjoyed your report on the Nadal & Federer practice sessions. You highlighted the difference in them beautifully -  they are so much the converse of the other that had it not been true & witnessed over the years, it would seem fictional.

Bartoli is not one of my one's to watch - she has a useful game & I was pleased that she could finally win a slam - and Wimbledon at that - but I don't enjoy her game.  Still, her retirement, and what it means to her to have to give up is a touching story. I wish her success & good luck in whatever she opts to do next.

And your comments on the empty stands reflect my own musings on this. I mentioned the empty stands in the Cincy thread.  But what you state about the poor turnout for womenís tennis is particularly poignant.  I wonder how theyíll tackle it.   Iím afraid Iím guilty on ignoring the womenís game, too.  Unless itís a match I particularly want to see, Iíll often go for a walk / refreshments during a womenís match, but rarely during a menís match.   Cíest la vie!

Enjoy the days play today Ė I hope you & Euroka get to see some crackers!
Carpe Diem

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2013, 08:34:20 AM »

And your comments on the empty stands reflect my own musings on this. I mentioned the empty stands in the Cincy thread.  But what you state about the poor turnout for womenís tennis is particularly poignant.  I wonder how theyíll tackle it.   Iím afraid Iím guilty on ignoring the womenís game, too.  Unless itís a match I particularly want to see, Iíll often go for a walk / refreshments during a womenís match, but rarely during a menís match.   Cíest la vie!

Enjoy the days play today Ė I hope you & Euroka get to see some crackers!

Part of the problem is that the crowding of the schedule forces one to choose. And then one must eat etc. (see main thread).

For a couple of years, Cincy extended over two weeks; the ladies the first week, the men the second week. It worked, perhaps, because they would only sell season tickets for the two weeks. I came and got to see a lot of ladies tennis and learned a lot. But I don't think they could get away with that now.

The problem, as Mertov suggests, is firmly with the WTA. They have to make their offer more attractive. I am one of those people who believe in equal work for equal pay and in the WTA you just don't get it. I appreciate the efforts of the women players far more when Mertov, with his coaching experience  :nerdy: , or Chris Taylor, with his enthusiasm alone :grind dance: , is sitting beside me but, without them, I quickly become bored, when I see more double faults served up in a set than I would make in a month or even six months :yawn: .

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:44:15 AM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2013, 03:51:27 AM »
 :coffee:
Mertov has a new posting about the quarters and the upcoming semis.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:54:26 AM by euroka1 »

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »
Thanks Euroka1, for posting Mertov's latest bulletin.

Mertov, I thought your comment on Djokovic's form was thought provoking. There certainly seems to be a momentum shift of sorts. You point to a possible loss of confidence / killer instinct, but I'm wondering if he has reached saturation point and just needs a good rest / break. It can't be easy to relentlessly keep going.

Your description of Jankovic's attitude towards the ball kids leaves a lot to be desired. I have little time for her at the best of times (her moaning / complaining / lack of grace) and this information underlines how I feel. 

Thanks for another excellent read. I confess that I often log on just to see if there news from you.

Carpe Diem

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2013, 10:53:59 PM »
Thanks GBY.  The last update is up at the Tennis Desk

Euroka it was once again wonderful watching tennis with a quality character like yourself.  When and where is our next stop?  :)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2013, 12:06:58 PM »
Mertov, Euroka, are you guys planning to go to New York this year ?

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2013, 12:59:55 PM »

Euroka it was once again wonderful watching tennis with a quality character like yourself.  When and where is our next stop?  :)

Mertov, Euroka, are you guys planning to go to New York this year ?

I enjoyed it too, Mert. I am very much in the lay-off travel mood. But my two trips in July and August were a lot of fun. But let's keep in touch about any movements.

No, Alex, no plans for me at  the USO. I find the whole show there is just too big and it is too far from Manhattan. Cincy is just the right size for me. If I go to another major, it will be the AO again. I really like the set up there with the tennis center 15 minutes walk from downtown Melbourne. Mertov will notice a preference, even a fixation, on tournaments that are staged 15 minutes walk from the hotel.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »
Thanks GBY.  The last update is up at the Tennis Desk

Cheers, MERTOV.  I enjoyed your re-cap.  This point particularly resonated with me, as I've been musing over the isse of quality of tennis these last couple of weeks:

".. as the week progressed, more and more matches were decided by few points here and there, and those points were won less by the winner raising his/her level of play than benefiting from uncharacteristic mistakes by his/her opponent......"

Thanks for your thoughts/reports from Cincy. I look forward to your next batch - will that be from the USO?  Anyway, enjoy your time off!   :)

EUROKA  - your updates have been fun. Thanks to you too.
Carpe Diem

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2013, 11:24:44 PM »
Alex & GBY,  I am already there :)  But I am only staying through qualifying rounds.  Other thing called "life" demanded that I go back to it after qualifying.

Euroka:I am in for AU Open 2015.  Chalk it down in your calender !

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2013, 05:04:38 AM »
GBY: Yes, that remark resonates with me too. When it happened, it precipitated a mental flip and a change in the trajectory of the whole match.

Mert:  If that's the AO January 2015, I'll start saving now  :)) ! It is always good to have something like that to look forward towards in life.  ..-)