Author Topic: Mertov's Tennis Desk  (Read 8200 times)

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
Re: Mertov's Tennis Desk
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »
Here is the first day's story (with pictures) from Cincinnati..
Enjoy..

http://www.mertovstennisdesk.com/2014/08/11/western-southern-open-day-1-notes/

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2014, 04:39:47 PM »
Here is the first day's story (with pictures) from Cincinnati..
Enjoy..

http://www.mertovstennisdesk.com/2014/08/11/western-southern-open-day-1-notes/

Hi Mert,

Thanks for this and particularly for the pictures!  :)

"However that was nothing compared to Djokovic and Murray’s practice session yesterday on that same court, while the second-round qualifying matches were in action. There were clearly more people watching them practice than any other match that was taking place the grounds. Notice the fans on the top row of the Grandstand court, looking over to watch the two stars (and Boris Becker, standing on the left of the picture, next to Djokovic):"

Don't you think this says more about fandom or celebrity worship than about any real interest in tennis? OK, it's fine, we need their money.

In front of me at the Pospisil - Stepanek match were a couple of young teenyboppers. They spent most of the time talking rather than paying any attention to the match. One had a cell phone that went off during the climactic tie-break.  :mad1:

As has recently been pointed out, however, there can be real benefits in celebrity attention if we look more closely at the things that make the top people (players) great. Lleyton Hewitt's tenacity in winning against what seems to be a losing situation, Federer's athleticism, Roddick's determination to give his all in those big matches (which he mostly lost) quickly come to mind.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:03:50 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2014, 11:22:13 PM »
I agree with you, except in Federer's case I think it has to do with fandom too, because many tennis players genuinely root for the guy simply because his game is "easy on the eyes" and closer to the textbook shots that some older folks may use.

Speaking of phones and texting, I had lunch next to two Canadian players at Roland Garros 2013 (and they are very much in the news today) ad all they did the whole time was to check their phones and see who said what, what girld added them, who they were, etc. etc.. 

Yes to your last paragraph..  Hewitt is a great example to use in that particular context..

Here is today's post on MT-Desk:

http://www.mertovstennisdesk.com/2014/08/12/tactical-analysis-importance-of-scouting-knowing-the-opponents-game/
Another x's and o's post..  Maybe I should go back to coaching :)

Offline Nekro t4u

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »
We prefer to b**ch and criticize them  :whistle:. It's a good thing  :)
Yes haha, when Nadal loses usually i think: "A poker-playing fashion model lost a tennis match, first world problem....." ofc i'm still a bit pissed when he loses something important like the Wawrinka match :whistle:

And yes, thanks for the good stuff Mertov

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »
More evidence that men's matches garner more interest than women's matches (from Friday evening's session in Cincinnati):

http://www.mertovstennisdesk.com/2014/08/16/fans-choice-on-friday-evening-atp-over-wta/

Definitely even more than I expected...

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: August 16, 2014, 03:15:13 AM »
Mertov, in any sports you need rivalries. I loved watching Evert/Navratilova, Seles/Graf ... 60 yo Serema will be winning slams left and right. I might be sarcastic, but I'm just not interested any more. I still watch some matches here and there but it's just to kill the time. And you know I'm a tennis fanatic.

It seems to me that your average male tennis fan cares more about how Sharapova or Ivanovic look like than their tennis skills. They can find millions of their pictures on the net. They don't need to watch their matches.

I'd rather watch 2 guys being ranked #200/300 playing in challengers than 2 women screaming on the court, choking, going from 5:1 and losing that set  5:7 ... How many times we've seen results like 6:0., 1:6,  6:1 or whatever?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:16:07 AM by Alex »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #146 on: August 16, 2014, 04:13:25 AM »
Mertov, in any sports you need rivalries. I loved watching Evert/Navratilova, Seles/Graf ... 60 yo Serema will be winning slams left and right. I might be sarcastic, but I'm just not interested any more. I still watch some matches here and there but it's just to kill the time. And you know I'm a tennis fanatic.

It seems to me that your average male tennis fan cares more about how Sharapova or Ivanovic look like than their tennis skills. They can find millions of their pictures on the net. They don't need to watch their matches.

I'd rather watch 2 guys being ranked #200/300 playing in challengers than 2 women screaming on the court, choking, going from 5:1 and losing that set  5:7 ... How many times we've seen results like 6:0., 1:6,  6:1 or whatever?

Thanks Mert for the posting, and Alex for the comment. Yes, the screaming is a factor but the men have now taken up grunting.  However,  the lower frequency makes it easier on the ears. Alex's point about the choking is what keeps me away. Even with the best of them, you are never sure where you are on  a particular day and it is very hard to see structure in a match when the score gets into chaotic oscillation. Also there is a lack of sportspersonship which irritates, along with an excess of self-obsession. You don't very often hear the WTA winner give a sincere tribute to the loser's effort while it is common among ATP players.
Those are the reasons I avoid the WTA these days unless I can't help it (like the upcoming semis and final here). But if I get bored, I am likely to leave.

The comparison Mertov makes for Cincy is affected by the ticketing structure. If you have gone to the trouble to get good seats in Center Court, you tend to use them unless a compelling interest drives you elsewhere. I've been doing this all the time but for most people it is a social event and they come mainly for the show rather than the tennis.  If they just came for the Federer match, they probably felt it a short night so were looking for some more action so they came on over to Grandstand.  On the other hand, I had had my fullest day of tennis watching this year and was happy to get away.

Besides, this tournament is Federer crazy. 
People here appreciate the dignity in all that he does.  ;) :H
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:40:42 AM by euroka1 »

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »
You both make valid points. Alex someone made a comment about shrieking below the post too, so yes, that is a factor, although I am not sure that it can explain alone the discrepancy.  Euroka, about the ticket structure, I doubt the same attendance discrepancy would have occurred in reverse if Sharapova-Halep was scheduled on center court and Fed-Murray on Grandstand.  I've said may times that the WTA needs to take a look at its product more carefully now that there is equal pay (for the most part).

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
Point taken.

Today there were huge spaces on Center Court during the Benneteau - Ferrer match as masses of people streamed over to Grandstand to see the Bryans play Johnson and Querrey. The Bryans won 6-3, 6-7, 10-8. People said it was a very exciting match.  We had a good one too!

QED :Teacher:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:42:22 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
You both make valid points. Alex someone made a comment about shrieking below the post too, so yes, that is a factor, although I am not sure that it can explain alone the discrepancy.  Euroka, about the ticket structure, I doubt the same attendance discrepancy would have occurred in reverse if Sharapova-Halep was scheduled on center court and Fed-Murray on Grandstand.  I've said may times that the WTA needs to take a look at its product more carefully now that there is equal pay (for the most part).
Mertov, Seles started it but it didn't bother me that much because I thought that's the way she was. Later on I've read some stories that she was trained that way, this and that. I don't remember any more. I can't remember any ladies playing tennis and shrieking on the court before Monika Seles.

She was a great champion, and one of my favorite female players. She had so much determination and courage.

Somehow, so many other girls after Seles have been  trained to 'scream' after every point.  I mean, I understand when players do it sometimes after long rallies etc. but I just can't stand it any more. If I have to watch a Sharapova/Azarenka match I have to mute my TV ... and I actually like them both. Remind you, watch their training sessions and they are completely silent.

Guys grunt here and there but they don't do it on purpose. Ferrer and a few others annoy me but it's not a big deal.

Now, back to 'the WTA situation'. There isn't any consistency. I don't even know who is whom any more. Anybody can def. anyone on any given day.

Safina starts playing very well, def. Henin, becomes #1, never wins a major, retires. Ivanovic does win a major, becomes #1 ... everyone was expecting great things to happen (she was in a couple of slam finals) ... suddenly she forgets to play tennis, can't even toss the ball ... she is on the covers of all major magazines ... she becomes a model.

Jelena Jankovic ... another #1, no majors.

Wozniacki ... I won't even go there. Read about JJ. Well, Wozniacki managed to be ranked for 2 years as #1 ... no majors.

Clijsters retires. Gives a birth ... decides to come back after 2 years, wins a couple of majors, skips most 'other MM tournaments'  and retires again. I love Kim, but I hope you understand where I'm getting with this.   

Meanwhile, Serena is winning majors left and right at her will and doesn't give a sh!t (pardon my French). When did she play the full tennis season last time? 100 years ago?

Complete mess. Sorry for a long post but it is what it is ... I'm simply not interested.

Why can't we have players like Evert, Navratilova, Seles, Graf again? Those ladies had some big balls.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:08:35 PM by Alex »

Offline Nekro t4u

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2014, 07:16:21 PM »
This is from yahoo answers about screaming in martial arts, the same things apply to tennis imo, except for the advantage when getting hit/kicked:

"There are several reasons for a Kai. First it helps makes your techniques stronger and faster. Try lifting something heavy and breath in and then try lifting it again while breathing out and see which way is easier. Don't try it with something too heavy-breathing in may give you a spontaneous injury. When you yell you are forcefully exhaling the air; you are breathing out.

Secondly it helps to make your techniques more accurate, allowing you to focus and place your kicks, strikes, and punches on a specific target. It also keeps you from flinching or blinking at the same time.

Third; one of the things that is not so obvious is that martial artists are flexing their diaphragm and stomach muscles when they do this. If you are close enough for me to hit or kick you then you are probably close enough to hit or kick me at the same time. If you catch me coming in and I Kai and flex it helps keep the wind from getting knocked out of me.

Fourth; it is intimidating psychologically to some people and if you have the person intimidated or beat mentally-it becomes much easier to beat them physically.

Fifth; depending on your believe in Ki or Chi (internal strength) martial artists believe that it helps to harness that energy flow and direct it into the techniques that are executing. This also has to do with other concepts like Ying and Yang and positive and negative enery flow. Most students when they Kai can excute a punch, kick, or strike quicker and stronger than if they don't if you watch them in a class. If you do some reading and reserach on kinesiology, physilogy, and sports medicine you will find a wealth of information on positive and negative charges and energy flow and how it impacts your muscles and how they work."

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
Nekro, good read, thank you. However tennis is not kung fu  :).

Offline Nekro t4u

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2014, 09:23:56 PM »
Nekro, good read, thank you. However tennis is not kung fu  :).
Ofc it's not, but every little advantage counts at competitive sports, and the the points about accuracy and mental focus are tot valid, and we haven't even gone into the more subtle stuff like mental energy, etc.....

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2014, 07:53:28 AM »
http://www.mertovstennisdesk.com/2014/08/24/us-open-mens-draw-open-to-outsiders/

Hi Mert,

Great to read your latest posting. I agree with almost everything you write except that I do believe that Djokovic briefly showed some of the old brilliance in the memorable match against Simon; memorable largely because of the latter. At least it got him through the third set. :) For me the four Ferrer matches I saw live were the highlights of my visit to Cincinnati.  The Federer - Raonic victory was to my eyes one that was at least partially due to Raonic. If Raonic cannot hold serve, things are not looking good.

I am lifting a tennis racquet today for the first time in six weeks and am hoping I can get the ageing joints moving again.  :scared:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:02:57 AM by euroka1 »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2014, 11:59:52 PM »
Mert,  your article is spot on. I'm just not sure what kinda mind games players are playing, especially Djokovic. I don't think he even tried in Toronto and Cicni. I guess we'll see if he was just saving himself for the USO, or he is still 'pregnant'  :innocent:.

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »
Hi Alex, sorry I just saw this yesterday.  Yes, Djokovic did not play his top-level tennis, at least not consistently, and it's not a surprise.  It is hard to turn on after two dismal performances in two weeks that are supposed to prepare you for a Major.  Same with Federer, he won Cincinnati playing well below his Wimbledon level (the only match he got close to that was the quarterfinals against Murray), somewhat spotty, but good enough to win the third sets.  When you thought he would raise his level up for a Major, he actually got worse with each match.  Against Monfils he played mediocre for four sets, got lucky in one of the match points (Monfils tightened up, the second one) and then played even worse against Cilic.  He lost to a Cilic that served at 50% until 3-3 in the third and that had only 13 aces for the match, and that committed more unforced errors than an opponent who was missing left and right. That is well below Cilic's 2014 standards, but the reality is he did not need to do more.  Add to that the absence of Rafa and the out-of-form play of other top-10 players, and Cilic vs. Nishikori final is not a surprise, although I am impressed with Nishikori's recovery and endurance (however, I am not surprised with his level of play, I always believed he is a future multiple Major title holder and a number 1,still do). 

Anyhow, I am looking forward to tomorrow's final, however I believe Cilic will have to play better than he did against Simon or Federer, more like against Berdych.  If both players play at the level they have shown so far in this tournament, I would predict a rout for Nishikori.  But that is assuming a lot from two guys who have never been to a Major final.

Euroka, I am sure you did just fine on your come back to the courts :)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2014, 01:54:59 AM »

Mertov, sorry to be sarcastic but you, I and a couple of tennis nuts like us will be watching (TV ratings will go down the toilet). Don't get me wrong, kudos to Kei and Marin ... but, I was laughing so hard today when my good friend who knows how much I love tennis and he just watch it casually (an older gentleman who doesn't even understand the rules ) asked me 'Who are these guys (Kei and Marin), what happened to Federer and Djokovic?' ... I'm  like 'they lost' .... he goes, 'but how. aren't they the best' ... I was like 'Well they didn't play well' .... and the final blow was 'What about Nadal?'  :rofl_2: ... I was like 'Wayne, please don't talk to me about tennis ever again  :rofl_2:.

He  knows who Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are but that's it ...  oh, yeah he likes Sharapova ans sisters too  :whistle:. Silly Canadians.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:55:45 AM by Alex »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2014, 12:46:59 PM »
Euroka, I am sure you did just fine on your come back to the courts :)

Hi Mert,

Thanks.

I am holding together well. I'm expecting to be hitting a tennis ball four times this week.

I too am looking forward to watching the final.  I expect it will mostly depend on the Cilic serve. The ground games are pretty comparable.