Author Topic: The Best Player of 2012: Rafael Nadal  (Read 7803 times)

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
The Best Player of 2012: Rafael Nadal
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:39:23 AM »
As Sir Alex has said, it's not all about the points. Forget runner-up and semi results and points - those are for bean counters. The typical fan only remembers winners of the big events.  The #1 ranked player, Novak Djokovic, started out well, barely winning the AO on his favorite surface, the least important major. Thereafter, Nadal dominated Djokovic 3 straight times.

Australian Open (Djokovic)

Monte-Carlo (Nadal) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------Rome (Nadal)

Roland Garros (Nadal)

Clay King Rafael Nadal, winner of his record 7th Roland Garros title, had an equivalent or better record against his top rivals head-to-head for the year. Nadal had the highest match winning percentage of the year - .875 (Djokovic - .862).

Unfortunately Rafa was unable to compete in good condition after Roland Garros (he competed at Halle/Wimbledon, but he was clearly not himself, losing early), so Federer's Wimbledon and Murray's Olympic and US Open wins were obviously tainted (*) because of Nadal's absence, as were Djokovic's later wins in Toronto, Shanghai, and perhaps a lesser extent, the World Tour Finals.

In terms of overall quality and performance against his main rivals, it was an impressive year for Rafa even with his absence post Wimbledon, and many would say he deserves Player of the Year. His rivals realize they have work to do.

Respectfully,
masterclass

P.S. Roger: "Nole, you're the best!" Nole: "Whatever you say King Roger."  Andy: "After I cried, King Roger decreed I would win 1 slam and it happened. I guess I need to cry more."
Legends of Tennis

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Re: The Best Player of 2012: Rafael Nadal
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 06:46:41 AM »
concurred........just look at my sig.......the man kept going after him and finally owned him with his incredible will 3-0 in the clay season........that is clearly the story of 2012 by some margin........

no surprise that it is not highlighted by the money obsessed media buffoons because nadal is sidelined now and is not much of a newsmaker for them until he returns........djokovic, murray and federer worked their asses off the entire year just for 1 slam........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:47:23 AM »
thanks general masterclass, the epitome of unbiased....... 
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:19:31 AM »
My pleasure General Shanks.  Nadal, with his rather poor sense of scheduling, basically donated half the year to the rest of the players. But then he's been generous this way throughout his career. Not much new here, just a bit longer break from the game. Anyway, he achieved what was needed. He reversed the trend with Djokovic and now has the all time record for wins at Roland Garros.

Respectfully,
masterclass
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:21:20 AM by masterclass »
Legends of Tennis

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:39:18 AM »
I'd put Nadal at #4.

He ducked out of the WTF remember, another donation?  :rofl_2:

Offline phoneix

• Tennis Player
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
Lets see Djokovic vs Nadal on HC. H2H stands at 11Ė5 right now.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »
As Sir Alex has said, it's not all about the points. Forget runner-up and semi results and points - those are for bean counters. The typical fan only remembers winners of the big events.  The #1 ranked player, Novak Djokovic, started out well, barely winning the AO on his favorite surface, the least important major. Thereafter, Nadal dominated Djokovic 3 straight times.

I never thought of you or any of the other regular posters here as 'typical fans'. :Confused:  I think that 'casual fans' remember winners of the big events.  Fanatics such as those found in tennis forums are typically much more informed and interested in the game.

Respectfully,
Atypical Fan
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »
 Extremely biased thread. Novak Djokovic was the best player in 2011 who left no doubt in anyone's mind when he beat Nadal in 3 Majors in a row - 7 times in total since then out of their total of 10 encounters. This year, the title still goes to Nole simply because he has proved already that he's the better player of the two (Nadal and himself). Nadal has yet to win a title outside clay since 2010.

And the asterisk mark next to Murray's name makes no sense. Masterclass can never say for sure that the outcome would have been the same, as in, Nadal would have won had he met with Murray both at Olympics and USO. This year Murray was on a different level mentally as not only he had Lendl as his coach but he also left a very good behind just in 2011. He was extremely focused and determined to win his first GS this year. If you want to be fair then please put an asterisk mark next to Nadal's first RG slam as well since he only had to beat Puerta in his first Slam final win. Murray has beaten Nadal before at GS level not once but twice and one can never say that he wasn't going to do it again. Djokovic took things to a whole new level in 2011, something no one saw coming. Frankly, I don't get this sort of worshipping that undermines one's ability.

I also absolutely don't get this sort of post when posters donít' take into account that injuries and all other unfortunate elements are part of the same game they play. If not then, we will have to put asterisk marks next to each win and loss.

You are everything I am not.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 12:38:42 PM »
oh, you evil master  :rofl_2:.  you didn't tell the whole story and I'm too tired to explain who is who on MTF and how that thread happend so that people who don't post there can understand. you can go ahead if you want to. the funny part the thread is still going and guys are fighting to no end  :))

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »
Very well said Emma. Probably your best post in a few years.  :rofl_2:

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
My pleasure General Shanks.  Nadal, with his rather poor sense of scheduling, basically donated half the year to the rest of the players. But then he's been generous this way throughout his career. Not much new here, just a bit longer break from the game. Anyway, he achieved what was needed. He reversed the trend with Djokovic and now has the all time record for wins at Roland Garros.

Respectfully,
masterclass

concurred.......he definitely donated AO and wimbledon........nice to see somebody acknowledge it........and yeah, anyway he achieved what was there to be achieved before he broke his knees.........

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

concurred.......he definitely donated AO and wimbledon........nice to see somebody acknowledge it........and yeah, anyway he achieved what was there to be achieved before he broke his knees.........

Like you two clowns would know.

Don't forget what happened at the AO final in the last six games.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
oh, you evil master  :rofl_2:.  you didn't tell the whole story and I'm too tired to explain who is who on MTF and how that thread happend so that people who don't post there can understand. you can go ahead if you want to. the funny part the thread is still going and guys are fighting to no end  :))

Too good Sir Alex... ;) :cool:  
I'm grateful a few appreciated the post in this slow time of the year.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »
Extremely biased thread. Novak Djokovic was the best player in 2011 who left no doubt in anyone's mind when he beat Nadal in 3 Majors in a row - 7 times in total since then out of their total of 10 encounters. This year, the title still goes to Nole simply because he has proved already that he's the better player of the two (Nadal and himself). Nadal has yet to win a title outside clay since 2010.

And the asterisk mark next to Murray's name makes no sense. Masterclass can never say for sure that the outcome would have been the same, as in, Nadal would have won had he met with Murray both at Olympics and USO. This year Murray was on a different level mentally as not only he had Lendl as his coach but he also left a very good behind just in 2011. He was extremely focused and determined to win his first GS this year. If you want to be fair then please put an asterisk mark next to Nadal's first RG slam as well since he only had to beat Puerta in his first Slam final win. Murray has beaten Nadal before at GS level not once but twice and one can never say that he wasn't going to do it again. Djokovic took things to a whole new level in 2011, something no one saw coming. Frankly, I don't get this sort of worshipping that undermines one's ability.

I also absolutely don't get this sort of post when posters donít' take into account that injuries and all other unfortunate elements are part of the same game they play. If not then, we will have to put asterisk marks next to each win and loss.

grandslams without nadal are as worthy as video games without joysticks........djokovic 2.0 is history, it was just one great season and it is over now........nadal put an end to his winning streak by defeating him in the roland garros final and stopping his slam winning streak........that is a far better story than anything this year.........

2013 = return of the spartan.......get ready........

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

he missed a simple backhand at 4-2, 30-15 and donated that game........AO was his title, he just doubted his ability in the last minute and paid the price........no such mistakes at RG, he thrashed djokovic that day........

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »

Respectfully,
masterclass

he missed a simple backhand at 4-2, 30-15 and donated that game........AO was his title, he just doubted his ability in the last minute and paid the price........no such mistakes at RG, he thrashed djokovic that day........

He missed more than that.

You don't lose 5/6 games by missing one shot.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »
fighting spirit was never bigger before,

US Open 2011 Final Djokovic vs Nadal [3rd Set Highlights - Part 1 of 2]

US Open 2011 Final Djokovic vs Nadal [3rd Set Highlights - part 2]

fru mcmillan was mightily amazed and said "he's just a magnificent animal!".......

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »
Djokovic tamed the 'beast'.  :spot on:

Offline phoneix

• Tennis Player
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »
Djokovic 'donated' the fourth set tiebreak in AO final, and the break in the fifth set. Nadal did nothing to win those points but keep the ball in play and wait for Djokovic to make a wild error.

Djokovic was the aggressor and deserved to win, when he stopped making errors. In the fifth set at 4-2 30-30 he wrongfooted Nadal with a sharp backhand, then in the next point hit Nadal's serve right back to his feet.

Offline Brick Top

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »

grandslams without nadal are as worthy as video games without joysticks........djokovic 2.0 is history, it was just one great season and it is over now........nadal put an end to his winning streak by defeating him in the roland garros final and stopping his slam winning streak........that is a far better story than anything this year.........

2013 = return of the spartan.......get ready........

You can barely call it over, since the guy is the YE no1 and most consistent player of the top 4.
About 2.0 thing no player is capable to play on his best level in every  tournament yet Nole almost managed to do so even this year and with actual higher number of wins trough this year than the last one, also lets not forget the fact that Fed is the actually the first one who stopped "Nole 2.0" on his way to CGS...
His future seasons might not be successful as the 2011 (or they might be) but his dominance is not the history yet.