Author Topic: The Best Player of 2012: Rafael Nadal  (Read 6714 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: The Best Player of 2012: Rafael Nadal
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »
I am 8-0 in USTA leagues this season, I nominate myself for the best player of 2012, that's right, I said it!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »
great work general masterclass. :))

you bring wisdom and sense about tennis to the masses and invariably make this forum one of the best around.

keep up the good work.

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 02:28:49 AM »
I am 8-0 in USTA leagues this season, I nominate myself for the best player of 2012, that's right, I said it!

Impressive, I'll second the nomination!

Respectfully,
masterclass
Legends of Tennis

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 07:54:39 AM »
What I find funny is that nobody is telling the whole story on this... Let's recap, by Shankar standards (and the majority of posters here) knows that Nadal ALWAYS has a BAD 2nd. part of the season, specifically after Wimbledon, since he goes around to grind himself on to all clay events possible and getting to the 2nd. part of the year exahusted, injured or whatnot... So, NO, I don't agree with this post... Nadal has never had a GREAT or even VERY GOOD 2nd. part of the year and should he had "fit" for the 2nd. part, my guess would be that he would have lost to Djokovic in any of these tournaments and probably even Murray, so his overall percentage is obviously high, since he couldn't play for his worst part of the season allowing him to maintain his overall percentage high..

You can cramb up the numbers all you want, still Djokovic deserves this and the fact that Nadal got injured for the entire 2nd. part of the year just helped you to come up with these kind of numbers... Not the other way around... Because if you are going to take up all the stats we can put together all points from Nadal from the 1st. part of the year and the 2nd. part of the year for his entire career and you would see that the 2nd. part of the year is ALWAYS his worst and this only helped him by your standards.

Djokovic IS the best player of 2012. He has demonstrated that he is on top not because Nadal was absent, but because he managed to stay focused and gave us some fantastic display of tennis.

Of course this is a biased thread, but what do you expect??

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »

impressive. keep going. :))

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 11:07:45 AM »
the great serbian slayer is an all time great already.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 06:09:36 PM »
Nadal gets an "incomplete" for me.  He didn't finish the year.  Only played 1/2 a season.  How in the heck can he be player of the year? :innocent:  Novak started out great and ended great.  He's the player of the year.  Roger is 2nd to me... then Murray... then Nadal... (just like the rankings).

Offline oracle86

• Tennis Pro
  • The Mystery Knight
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
fighting spirit was never bigger before,

US Open 2011 Final Djokovic vs Nadal [3rd Set Highlights - Part 1 of 2]

US Open 2011 Final Djokovic vs Nadal [3rd Set Highlights - part 2]

fru mcmillan was mightily amazed and said "he's just a magnificent animal!".......

And what happened after that?

This happened -

Set 4 Highlights
''If somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis'' - Rafael Nadal

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 03:22:35 PM »
oh, you evil master  :rofl_2:.  you didn't tell the whole story and I'm too tired to explain who is who on MTF and how that thread happend so that people who don't post there can understand. you can go ahead if you want to. the funny part the thread is still going and guys are fighting to no end  :))

I was wondering if you'd activate rest of your brain cells (95%) any time soon.

Respectfully,
Emma The Great
You are everything I am not.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 09:49:55 PM »
you mean "queen emma the great". :))

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 03:20:33 AM »
I think I have lost touch with the fan base here. I can't tell if the original post in this thread is a joke or not. I thought it was funny. And then I read the other posts  :bang-head:  Maybe I should just go to sleep.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
I think I have lost touch with the fan base here. I can't tell if the original post in this thread is a joke or not. I thought it was funny. And then I read the other posts  :bang-head:  Maybe I should just go to sleep.

What pawan is really trying to say here is that he's superior to all others as he got what masterclass' intention was behind the initial post.

Not quite, dearest. His intention was subtle or at least he put a spin on it so that he could swing both ways if things got tight, but he was dead serious about it. I say his friendship with Nadal fans has got the best of time. Too many free drinks to blame.

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
Re: Re: The Best Player of 2012: Rafael Nadal
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Extremely biased thread. Novak Djokovic was the best player in 2011 who left no doubt in anyone's mind when he beat Nadal in 3 Majors in a row - 7 times in total since then out of their total of 10 encounters. This year, the title still goes to Nole simply because he has proved already that he's the better player of the two (Nadal and himself). Nadal has yet to win a title outside clay since 2010.

And the asterisk mark next to Murray's name makes no sense. Masterclass can never say for sure that the outcome would have been the same, as in, Nadal would have won had he met with Murray both at Olympics and USO. This year Murray was on a different level mentally as not only he had Lendl as his coach but he also left a very good behind just in 2011. He was extremely focused and determined to win his first GS this year. If you want to be fair then please put an asterisk mark next to Nadal's first RG slam as well since he only had to beat Puerta in his first Slam final win. Murray has beaten Nadal before at GS level not once but twice and one can never say that he wasn't going to do it again. Djokovic took things to a whole new level in 2011, something no one saw coming. Frankly, I don't get this sort of worshipping that undermines one's ability.

I also absolutely don't get this sort of post when posters don’t' take into account that injuries and all other unfortunate elements are part of the same game they play. If not then, we will have to put asterisk marks next to each win and loss.

grandslams without nadal are as worthy as video games without joysticks........djokovic 2.0 is history, it was just one great season and it is over now........nadal put an end to his winning streak by defeating him in the roland garros final and stopping his slam winning streak........that is a far better story than anything this year.........

2013 = return of the spartan.......get ready........

I have to say I don't agree with many of your posts, mainly because personal preference... But I do have to agree with in everything you are saying here Emma... Nice post...

And the fact remains... The fact that Nadal hasn't won a single HC title since 2010 should say something to everyone, not only Nadal haters... But just as Nadal haters want to diminish his success outside of clay, Nadal worshippers should realize this fact and say it as it is... But NO, now we are supposed to put an asterisk to everyone who is not Nadal!!! LOOOOOL

Let's put an asterisk because Nadal missed some easy shots, let's put an asterisk because he was injured, let's put an asterisk because Nadal's parents were having couple issues, let's put an asterisk because indoor is not a real surface, let's put an asterisk because the WTF is nonsense and nobody wants to win it (mainly Nadal), let's put an asterisk because Nadal was focused on the Soccer World Cup, let's put an asterisk because Nadal wasn't feeling the ball, let's put an asterisk because Nadal didn't play that tournament, let's put an asterisk because there is a conspiracy theory against Nadal, let's put an asterisk because Nadal was not wearing his sleeveless shirt, let's put an asterisk because he didn't pull out his shorts from his azz enough to feel motivated, let's put am asterisk because the ball boy threw his perfectly aligned water bottles and threw him off... Heck, let's put an asterisk because the winner is not Nadal... Did I miss some??

At first this could be funny, but now it's hilarious, pathetic, lame and boring...

I have an idea........... Look for a new thread.....

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk 2

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »
the lack of a hard court win for Nadal in two years is a serous problem. the bravado of some Nadal fans is a demonstration of this truth, the more they desperately try to swagger, the more they're visibly overcompensating for their fears.

His astonishing physical prowess has been his mainstay thus far in his career and it is gonna be very interesting to see if he can extend his accomplishments in the year ahead.

Nadal wasn't the best player of the year, he wasn't even in the top three. Period.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:43:18 PM by jesse james »
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
The Best Player of 2012: Rafael Nadal
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 10:07:14 AM »
the lack of a hard court win for Nadal in two years is a serous problem. the bravado of some Nadal fans is a demonstration of this truth, the more they desperately try to swagger, the more they're visibly overcompensating for their fears.

His astonishing physical prowess has been his mainstay thus far in his career and it is gonna be very interesting to see if he can extend his accomplishments in the year ahead.

Nadal wasn't the best player of the year, he wasn't even in the top three. Period.

Sounds good to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 04:08:45 PM »
go to sleep pawan. :)) :ZZZZZ)

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »
Actually, Nadal did pretty good in 2011 on hard-court given that it's his least natural surface. Heíd made 4 hardcourt finals (1 Major final, 2 Masters and Tokyo) after all but only got beaten by the likes of Nole, Andy etc., who happen to be very natural on this surface. But otherwise he was clearly the 2nd best player in 2011 and had Nole not seen a super rise to his highest level, Nadal would have been the winner of 14 slams. So Nole did do considerable damages to Nadal but thatís how the competition goes. Nadal had claimed quite a few Slams over Federer as well to be fair. Itís a two way street. You have to deal with whoever is in front of you. In fact, Iíd like Nadal to come back and deal with Nole on a Major surface other than clay. His last win over Nole was on clay so thatís not saying much. If heís really the better player and was the best player in 2012 as masterclass suggests based all 3 wins over Nole on clay, then he should be tested on other surfaces as well to make it a fact. For all we know, he got ousted by a player who was ranked 100 at the time in a major tournament like Wimbledon, where he was one of the favourites. We did not get to see how Nadal was going to fare against Nole on other surfaces. Had he won the AO over Nole but got beaten by Rosol, you could have still argued that perhaps Nadal was the best player, but still, there are far too many elements and variables that we need to take into account before we make such a sweeping call based on 3 wins on Nadalís best surface over Nole.

Donít get me wrong. Nadal is truly a great player and one of the greats of all time, but thatís not the point. The point is, whether he was the best player in 2012 as well, and judging by all that above, he clearly wasnít. You simply canít look at a flat river and assume the world is probably flat too.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »
once again what a great unbiased thread by masterclass........he is a genuine fedfan if you dint know that already........

5 months, 1 grandslam win and 1 slam final which he actually was on the way to winning it but decided to donate it to his opponent in the last second........

others.......12 months, 1 slam each........

the answer is quite simple........player of 2012 = rafael nadal........end of story.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »
fighting spirit was never bigger before,

US Open 2011 Final Djokovic vs Nadal [3rd Set Highlights - Part 1 of 2]

US Open 2011 Final Djokovic vs Nadal [3rd Set Highlights - part 2]

fru mcmillan was mightily amazed and said "he's just a magnificent animal!".......

And what happened after that?

This happened -

Set 4 Highlights

that is irrelevant........a human can only fight to certain extent........nadal maximized it........many tennis pundits have unanimously agreed that such fighting spirit was rarely seen before........there was nothing nadal could do that day with that weak backhand, weak serve and low confidence.........how he managed to win that set is something to amaze at.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »
once again what a great unbiased thread by masterclass........he is a genuine fedfan if you dint know that already........

5 months, 1 grandslam win and 1 slam final which he actually was on the way to winning it but decided to donate it to his opponent in the last second........

others.......12 months, 1 slam each........

the answer is quite simple........player of 2012 = rafael nadal........end of story.......

But that's a flawed logic, Shanker. Just because masterclass is a Fed fan and yet supports Nadal as the best player, doesn't mean whatever he says are therefore the epitomes of unbiased statements. Who put him on that chair? We watch tennis too and I particularly exercise logic and use facts when it comes to tennis. I don't think I am going to let him run away with that sort of biased opinion even if he's joking. Andy worked very hard to make the Wimbledon final, win the Olympics beating both No. 1 and 2 Players in the world no less and then again, beat No. 2 player in the world at the USO final to win it. Only a person with biased opinions would be interested in putting asterisk next to Murrayís such glorious achievements. Neither Nadal nor Federer had to deal with 3 other top players to win a slam. They only had each other to deal with. In fact, this sort of undermining boils my blood.