Author Topic: The Best Player of 2012: Rafael Nadal  (Read 6618 times)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Re: The Best Player of 2012: Rafael Nadal
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2013, 01:44:09 PM »
If you think I am playing then think again, darling.  :ice cream:

i can make you play. :)) :)>>>> :gleam:

Offline masterclass

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2013, 02:13:58 AM »
Many have asked me, after Nadal, whom would I consider to have been the best players during 2012.

So here are my top 5 during 2012, and to avoid my usual lengthy analysis, I'll just provide short rationale:

1.Rafael Nadal - reasons already given

2. Roger Federer
- consistent highest level of play, winning several titles, including a 7th Wimbledon triumph for his 17th major overall, and an Open Era record number of weeks at #1 (302) through Paris-Bercy.

3. Andy Murray - climbed out of his spot behind the top 3 and played at a top level from Wimbledon through the US Open, including capturing the Olympic Gold as a bonus.

4. Novak Djokovic - 2012's ATP computer #1. Overall I was not happy with the Serbian Slayer. It was a year.of bookends for him with few wins between. He eked out the Australian Open on the surface best suited for his play, taking almost 6 hours to get it done in a "survival of the fittest" match. Nadal outplayed him there; he just didn't win. :dunno:  Novak also won the last big tournament of the year, the ATP World Tour Finals (aka, YEC, Master's Cup) at London's O2 arena, just beating Roger Federer, who was obviously tired from the rest of the year's exploits.

5. David Ferrer - an outstanding consistent season all the way through topping all players in titles won. Unfortunately he didn't win a major, but major's aren't the only tournaments in town. He still beat some of the biggest players in the game.

-------------------------------

So far in 2013, it looks like it might be a repeat year for the King of Clay - Rafael Nadal, who has won everything in sight after a prolonged absence, including his 8th Roland Garros Title. Somebody will have to play tremendously well to overcome Nadal's top play during this year.  But to be fair, I'll start a new thread at the end of the year for 2013...

:)) :)) :)) :gleam:

Respectfully,
masterclass
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:14:31 AM by masterclass »
Legends of Tennis

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »
Best player is not based on clay season only, masterclass but the whole season. One more beating at the hand of the likes of Rosol and we all know Nadal will go away for another few months. Please get a grip of yourself.  :)~
You are everything I am not.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2013, 08:38:27 AM »
He didn't even play the first few months this year and has still accrued more points than any other player. I'd say that says, so far, that Nadal is by far the best this year (remember the one HC title he's played this year, he won).

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2013, 12:36:56 PM »
He didn't even play the first few months this year and has still accrued more points than any other player. I'd say that says, so far, that Nadal is by far the best this year (remember the one HC title he's played this year, he won).
don't be  such a tard. Djokovic was clearly the best player in 2012. Rankings, trophies etc. don't lie. The fact that Rafa didn't play the second part of the season means nothing. He failed miserably at Wimbledon in R2 etc. Even if he had played HC season, he would've failed there too ...

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2013, 07:56:15 PM »
I was referring to this year...and Djokovic didn't do anything better than Nadal in 2012, and he played the full year. One final at a slam, and one win. That's what Nadal got, and he only played half the year. But I'm not even defending Nadal being the best in 2012. I don't necessarily agree with that. I was talking about this year.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »
I was referring to this year...and Djokovic didn't do anything better than Nadal in 2012, and he played the full year. One final at a slam, and one win. That's what Nadal got, and he only played half the year. But I'm not even defending Nadal being the best in 2012. I don't necessarily agree with that. I was talking about this year.
all right. However, this thread is about 2012 best player. If we are talking about 2013, then yeah I agree. Nadal is leading the race. However there are 6 more months, so we'll see what happens.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »
Well, masterclass said Nadal was best of 2013 so far, Emma countered that, and then I countered her post. Yes, we will see what happens. I have utmost faith that Nadal will finish this year out with at least one more slam and the #1 ranking.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2013, 11:45:22 AM »

Nadal sweeping the clay floor with all the clay titles is nothing out of the ordinary. It's been done many times before and didn't automatically mean he was the best. It meant he was the best for that season only. And we have seen him doing that before and we have also witnessed how it went later in some cases like last year or in 2009. Nole has been very consistent ranking wise unlike Nadal. He's playing better tennis throughout the year and not just one single season and it requires far more patience and endurance, and he's been very successful in that department.  That's also why he's still the No. 1 player and by a good margin.

If you want to argue who's the best player of this year, you'd have wait until the year is over otherwise it's not a valid argument.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »
Well, masterclass said Nadal was best of 2013 so far, Emma countered that, and then I countered her post. Yes, we will see what happens. I have utmost faith that Nadal will finish this year out with at least one more slam and the #1 ranking.

Well that's very good but it's still a feeling and nothing more. We can all wait until then.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »

Nadal sweeping the clay floor with all the clay titles is nothing out of the ordinary. It's been done many times before and didn't automatically mean he was the best. It meant he was the best for that season only. And we have seen him doing that before and we have also witnessed how it went later in some cases like last year or in 2009. Nole has been very consistent ranking wise unlike Nadal. He's playing better tennis throughout the year and not just one single season and it requires far more patience and endurance, and he's been very successful in that department.  That's also why he's still the No. 1 player and by a good margin.

If you want to argue who's the best player of this year, you'd have wait until the year is over otherwise it's not a valid argument.

That's why I said SO FAR. And also, you ignored the fact that he won IW as well, which no one expected him to do all that well in. But yes, we'll still have to see what happens the rest of the year to find out who 2013's best player. But SO FAR, it's Nadal without a doubt. He's absolutely dominating the race. Qualifying for the WTF this early in the year is pretty crazy.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2013, 07:25:35 PM »
but why this incessant need to call someone the best so far when the rest of the year is yet to be played out.  i never get you tards really. lolol

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2013, 01:06:23 AM »
I wasn't even the one who called him that. masterclass was, and last time I checked, he wasn't a Rafa fan. I was just defending his point. Really, constantly calling out fans of the rest of the Big 4 just because your guy was out of commission at the FO seems kind of pathetic.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »

That's why I said SO FAR. And also, you ignored the fact that he won IW as well, which no one expected him to do all that well in. But yes, we'll still have to see what happens the rest of the year to find out who 2013's best player. But SO FAR, it's Nadal without a doubt. He's absolutely dominating the race. Qualifying for the WTF this early in the year is pretty crazy.

Nadal always gets his points early.
Both Nadal and Djokovic are doing great this year.

But we have a ways to go still, 2 slams, some masters and the WTF.

Nadal wants the WTF badly and Fed is there so will have to get lucky with the stars lining up.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
Swish, I doubt that Rafa will ever win WTF, no matter how desperately Nadal wants it. Indoor HC is by far his worst surface. It's not just Fed (who is 4:0 against Rafa on IHC), it's also Djokovic and Murray ... Berdych and Tsonga can even give him hard time on that surface.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Swish, I doubt that Rafa will ever win WTF, no matter how desperately Nadal wants it. Indoor HC is by far his worst surface. It's not just Fed (who is 4:0 against Rafa on IHC), it's also Djokovic and Murray ... Berdych and Tsonga can even give him hard time on that surface.

Right, there are quit a few players who can give him problems.

I think Djokovic takes it this year BTW.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2013, 07:58:03 PM »
nadal really doesn't give a damn about WTF.

get your damn facts straight. who needs that wtf nonsense when you can keep winning slams.

also did you forget that his game and more importantly the actual mechanics of his strokes are far more ideally suited for clay. those strokes need far more time to execute.

or let me guess: some of you are just watching some other sport.

finally let me remind you that the red clay is the most demanding surface out there. it takes a lot of work to carve out wins on this surface.
and he has been dominating every aspect of red clay for a bloody decade.
isn't that enough for you? now you want him to take everything else too.

did you really think that this man with a bad knee and a limited game was going to be able to dominate on all surfaces for full 12 months.

the man is spent physically and mentally from having won so much on clay by the end of the season.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:12:41 PM by Clay Death »

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
I wasn't even the one who called him that. masterclass was, and last time I checked, he wasn't a Rafa fan. I was just defending his point. Really, constantly calling out fans of the rest of the Big 4 just because your guy was out of commission at the FO seems kind of pathetic.

One day you will grow up and realize that this discussion has nothing to do with Murray and his credential on clay. It's about the best player in 2012. I don't mind Masterclass' attempt as it's still a discussion and I have given my counter arguments as to why Nadal is not the best player in 2012, simply because he lost very early at Wimbledon and didn't play rest of the year. The idea of the best player does not rely on 3 single matches between a couple of top players or even 1 single season. It is based on the whole year, so MC's attempt didn't even have an honest take on things. Just because Nadal didn't play rest of the year didn't automatically mean he would  have been the best had he played. He did play until Wimbledon keep that in mind and got beaten there by a player who was ranked 100 at that time. And Nadal typically doesn't do all that well in the later season of the year anyway, in case you don't know that yet.

For that reason, therefore, the best player idea this year cannot exist simply because the whole season is yet to be played out. Take a look at your own post below. No need to specify SO FAR. I am not ignoring IW but I do know Nadal didn't get to play any of Nole or Murray, who were the best players coming off the last season especially on hard. So far as I see it, Nadal did what he does usually best - he won most of the clay tournaments including RG. His real test lies ahead so you'd be wise to stay tuned.

And don't bring Murray into this. This thread was not opened by but MC and saying that he's not even a Nadal fan doesn't cut anything with me. I don't know what the real truth is. And I'd never call Nole out. His my other favourite player so get your facts right. You are not even here when Nadal doesn't play. And 80% of your posts are about Nadal and Federer to lesser extent, so I know where you are coming from. Not that I am saying you are a bad poster and a glory hunter at best, but rest assured, once Nadal is gone, you won't be here to watch tennis played by other players.

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2013, 08:45:21 PM »
What I really love about Rafa is his ¨never-give-up¨  attitude..    He has such a fighting spirit. His tennis skills are very limited compared to Federer , Djokovic  and Murray.  yet he has managed to overcome his limitations with his relentless fighting heart.  Had he had just half of Federer´s skills he would have been without a doubt almost invincible.  His spirit, his fire , his mentality ,  now matter how tall the wall is...he will climb it ..... that's the kind of attitude/mentality you wanna teach your children.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2013, 08:51:19 PM »
clay warrior has a winning record against 100% of the top players of his era.

that is his most remarkable achievement.

his ultimate achievement will never even be approached, much less equaled:

his total domination of the red clay for a decade.