Instructional Tennis > Tennis Rules & Regulations

Did the ball Bounce Twice?

(1/2) > >>

Tennis4you:
Question received via email: 

I was playing tennis today, and my question is if the opponent hit the ball, then, I saw
it bounces once on our side, my partner was hitting the ball, but she did not see it
clear, she said it bounces twice.  I said to her it only bounced once, then our
opponent said I can't say anything, it should be my partner to say if it bounces twice.

Jamesdster:
If partners disagree on a call, give the benefit of the doubt to the opponent.  Consider this a double bounce.  This is the same as if a ball was hit to their side and 1 player called it good and the other called it out.  IT IS OUT.

monstertruck:
I've never thought about how this works in dubs but if I remember correctly the double bounce is supposed to be a 'self call'.  Of course Jamesdster is correct in deferring the call in the opponents favor in the case of partners disagreeing on a call.

Tennis4you:
What if the person hitting the ball says they do not know and their partner says it only bounced once?  Then what's the call?

monstertruck:
If there is any doubt, the call goes to the opponent.

Scenario-
Babs hits a wicked droppa (by mistake of course!) and asks if the ball bounced twice before you got to it for a clean winner.
You say 'I don't know, I was running so fast I couldn't tell'.
OSU says 'yo fool, it's match point and it only bounced once'.
Jamesdster presiding in the chair awards the point to Babs.
You & OSU win the match on the next point by hitting a kicker in the ad court that bounces over his head for an ace.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version