Author Topic: Rafa withdraws from AO 2013  (Read 3226 times)

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
Re: Rafa withdraws from AO 2013
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 04:09:23 PM »
Shankar made a good point and it has to be noted because Jesse can be mouthful as well but his posts doesn't get deleted, because he's a Federer fan simply put. Fair is fair, no? But then again Scot is a Federer fan first and this is not the first time we are having this discussion. Shank got banned a few times so did hunting and herc left a few times. - all happens to be Nadal fans. Nothing new there.

:rofl_2:

I am quite a mouthful-that's true, though i am a little surprised that my reputation has spread so far.
   I wouldn't say i'm a 'fed fan' other than admiring some of his tennis, but then i also admire aspects of the other top fours tennis too.  I've also criticised fed and the others, and i'm in no way one of those who are determined to be resolutely besotted with any player, If anything, the player I've lavished more praise on is Djokovic, but as i say, i'm not a fan.
Jesse, I stand by each of your words. There is no doubt that your suggestions were logical, but the terminology used can sometimes lend itself to anger in the reader's [Shank's] mind.. I am a Federer nut and so can lose perspective now and then [ following Federer can blind you to the other players on the tour : ) ].. I need people like you to keep me grounded, so that a setback is cause for level-headed analysis and not depression..  ..-)

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 04:39:31 PM »
Shankar made a good point and it has to be noted because Jesse can be mouthful as well but his posts doesn't get deleted, because he's a Federer fan simply put. Fair is fair, no? But then again Scot is a Federer fan first and this is not the first time we are having this discussion. Shank got banned a few times so did hunting and herc left a few times. - all happens to be Nadal fans. Nothing new there.

I am quite a mouthful-that's true, though i am a little surprised that my reputation has spread so far.
   I wouldn't say i'm a 'fed fan' other than admiring some of his tennis, but then i also admire aspects of the other top fours tennis too.  I've also criticised fed and the others, and i'm in no way one of those who are determined to be resolutely besotted with any player, If anything, the player I've lavished more praise on is Djokovic, but as i say, i'm not a fan.
Jesse, I stand by each of your words. There is no doubt that your suggestions were logical, but the terminology used can sometimes lend itself to anger in the reader's [Shank's] mind.. I am a Federer nut and so can lose perspective now and then [ following Federer can blind you to the other players on the tour : ) ].. I need people like you to keep me grounded, so that a setback is cause for level-headed analysis and not depression..  ..-)

right, i'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, but there's certainly no need for depression. I can be a little to dry for my own good (the innuendo in my response to emma might be overlooked)
If you are feeling low i can happily administer a little CBT, (and there definitely two ways you can take that).
I am a lighthouse worn by the weather and the waves
And though I'm empty I still warn the sailors on their way

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
Jess, you are fine.  You need to improve your confidence  :). Don't worry about Emma and Shank. Emma and her mouth ... mm, it goes something like this

here is Shank, when he talks Nadal

this is how a 'real' woman should look like  :)~ ... sorry Emma, can't marry you unless you change your name to Pamela 

You know, that's just how I thought they'd look. Having said that they're less decayed than i thought they might be, and i think it goes without saying-no wisdom teeth.
btw HAPPY NEW YEAR Alex.

Btw, interesting fact about Pamela Anderson-she's a vegan, which is surprising, i always thought she liked meat!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
Re: Re: Rafa withdraws from AO 2013
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 10:25:35 PM »
Long history here. Long fights, long arguments etc. Who wants to get into that again, really. It's all the same in the end. If anyone thinks people will change then good luck with that.

Perhaps you will not get that either.  :)~

It's weird you say that, as I have yet to see a fight here...

Oh that goes way back like in 2008, 2009 and 2010. It kind of slowed down in 2011 and from that point on.

The traffic slowed down, or the fighting slowed down?

It was kind of both. Constant bickering between Federer and Nadal fans. I got involved quite a few times but that's all in the past. I am not a fan of either but I'd always pick Nadal as the greater player. He wasn't as complete a player as Federer. He was also a few years younger than Federer but with sheer will and confidence, he showed the world the difference between him and Federer.. I've always found Nadal much more interesting than Federer outside clay. On clay, he's far more predictable and tends to play a very scripted game like Federer does on all surfaces. 
You are everything I am not.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »
Emma, what you call Rafa's 'scripted game' is the most awe-inspiring display of clay-court tennis domination that the world has ever seen!

Uncle Toni has meticulously crafted this Bionic Man, that we call Rafa, in just this manner, so that he can take maximum advantage of physical strength, technique and the playing surface [clay].. Rafa is the foremost clay-court player of his generation, even all time, and Emma, I know you agree!

This season will be interesting though.. With Nadal hopefully back playing in February, Djokovic, the clear No.2 player on clay, in the past 2 seasons, and Murray stepping up as a multiple-Slam contender, things will be very interesting this spring, in my opinion.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »

right, i'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, but there's certainly no need for depression. I can be a little to dry for my own good (the innuendo in my response to emma might be overlooked)
If you are feeling low i can happily administer a little CBT, (and there definitely two ways you can take that).

The 'gyan' [what are the 2 ways of administering Cognitive Behavioural Therapy? Can I use it to cure my terminal bout of laziness  ..-)] one acquires by just loitering on this forum is just phenomenal, and you Sir, are the primary reason.. Thanks and Wish you all a Happy New Year!!  :king:

Also, I love the fact that you got Chomsky on your avatar - I always download the Great One's speeches to listen later, but alas, not long after the clip starts, I am fast asleep.  :(

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »
that was pamela 50 years ago.

how does she look now?

Offline jesse james

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »

The 'gyan' [what are the 2 ways of administering Cognitive Behavioural Therapy? Can I use it to cure my terminal bout of laziness  ..-)] one acquires by just loitering on this forum is just phenomenal, and you Sir, are the primary reason.. Thanks and Wish you all a Happy New Year!!  :king:

Also, I love the fact that you got Chomsky on your avatar - I always download the Great One's speeches to listen later, but alas, not long after the clip starts, I am fast asleep.  :(

I agree Chomsky can be a bit boring, which is what i think you're suggesting.  His great gift is joining the dots for us in terms of the history of power relationships, and knock on effects in terms of Western, primarily US, hegemony.

Happy new year!

oh, i put 'CBT' not cognitive behavior therapy.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »
Whilst the tennis discussions on this board might be somewhat skewed at times, one can't accuse the place of being anything but eclectic!  Pamela Anderson & Chomsky cheek by jowl by way of mention on  this page!      :rofl_2: 

And as for the assertion that this is a "pro" Federer board, LOL!!   The gratuitously inflammatory comments posted here are exceeded only by the patronising crap that accompany them.   I think those who run this board are too tolerant. Any anti- Federer nonsense should be deleted immediately.   :rofl_2:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:24:21 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2013, 06:16:43 PM »
Whilst the tennis discussions on this board might be somewhat skewed at times, one can't accuse the place of being anything but eclectic!  Pamela Anderson & Chomsky cheek by jowl by way of mention on  this page!      :rofl_2: 

And as for the assertion that this is a "pro" Federer board, LOL!!   The gratuitously inflammatory comments posted here are exceeded only by the patronising crap that accompany them.   I think those who run this board are too tolerant. Any anti- Federer nonsense should be deleted immediately.   :rofl_2:
K, you are right. not sure how we've manged to this  :rofl_2: (I'm guilty as charged  :))). but, but It's all Emma's fault. She is the Queen of derailing threads  ::)))
 :innocent:

now, Nadal is winning MC this year again. Murray will win RG (it ain't happening ever as he is clueless on clay, but I'm trying to get Emma to love me again  :shiny:

Offline tio_toni

• Tennis Player
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2013, 01:03:58 AM »
Good to see him making a prudent decision.  Let's face it, his knees are in such a poor state he can only play 100% for 5 months out of the year.  I'd be satisfied if he makes another great run on clay and a respectable showing at Wimbledon.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 03:01:57 AM »

I agree Chomsky can be a bit boring, which is what i think you're suggesting.  His great gift is joining the dots for us in terms of the history of power relationships, and knock on effects in terms of Western, primarily US, hegemony.

Happy new year!

oh, i put 'CBT' not cognitive behavior therapy.

Chomsky is a hero! I just cannot stay concentrated.. My attention span is probably that of a squirrel  - 1sec or lower!! :( 

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »
Good to see him making a prudent decision.  Let's face it, his knees are in such a poor state he can only play 100% for 5 months out of the year.  I'd be satisfied if he makes another great run on clay and a respectable showing at Wimbledon.

it did not have to be that way. he could have made the adjustment 5 years ago.

he still wont get off the hard courts.

guess he is not going to be happy unless he is out of the sport. the man is dying to end his career.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2013, 03:48:09 PM »

it did not have to be that way. he could have made the adjustment 5 years ago.

he still wont get off the hard courts.

guess he is not going to be happy unless he is out of the sport. the man is dying to end his career.
First, Rafa cannot pick and choose the events he wants to play, as this would break the Tour rules.. Second, Rafa has already dropped the Doha and Melbourne from his calendar, planning to return on clay in Mexico!! What more can he do  [other than install Uncle Toni as the new President of the ATP, so that the 'silly' rules can be scrapped]??   :)) :))

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »
I think it's a wise decision. All his fans who have been saying he needs to play less hard-courts, well there you have it, so not sure why Nadal fans would be complaining when he's playing the safer card, continuing his rehab and preparing to dominate on clay. Like someone said earlier, he'll be back sweeping the clay court swing, probably climbing back to 3 or even 2 in the rankings, easily one of the top 3-4 favourites at Wimbledon again and voila, he'll be back like nothing ever happened.

It does suck for tennis at the AO though, lots of folks were looking forward to new year, new start to a legit top 4 again.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
Yeah i agree it's wise decision from Nadal if he's not right.What gets me is Nole or Fed will get Ferrer as he will be 4th seed hmmmmmmmm lol.With luck Nole & Fed will get Berdych & del Potro,this would even the draw up abit.Murray could end up with say Raonic & then have to try beat say Nole & Fed.End of the day a draw a draw,i just keep my fingers crossed it's a good one all round.

Offline mtt

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »
Of course it's all idle speculation, but I just can't shake the thought that there is more going on with Rafa's health then the Hoffa syndrome in his knee...
It has been almost 7 months since his last competitive match, he has pulled out of the olympics ( huge deal for him ), several masters tournaments, the USO, Davis Cup final ( also a huge deal for him ).

And now, after  several statements from his camp, that the healing process was satisfactory, the knee is fine, etc., etc., he pulls out of the AO because of "lack of practice" ???
I just don't buy it...
Hopefully I am wrong, and he comes back his old self, but I doubt it.
There is more going on than the Rafa camp is willing say.
Players have come back from mensicus surgery, or ACL surgery faster than this.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »
Emma, what you call Rafa's 'scripted game' is the most awe-inspiring display of clay-court tennis domination that the world has ever seen!

Uncle Toni has meticulously crafted this Bionic Man, that we call Rafa, in just this manner, so that he can take maximum advantage of physical strength, technique and the playing surface [clay].. Rafa is the foremost clay-court player of his generation, even all time, and Emma, I know you agree!

This season will be interesting though.. With Nadal hopefully back playing in February, Djokovic, the clear No.2 player on clay, in the past 2 seasons, and Murray stepping up as a multiple-Slam contender, things will be very interesting this spring, in my opinion.

No, actually I don't agree because it's strictly a matter of opinion that lies in the eyes of the beholder. Rafa's game on clay is very scripted and robotic. That's mostly because he doesn't face different challenges year in year out, so he doesnít feel the need to change it even slightly, so as a result, it becomes boring and predictable just like Federer's scripted game since 2003. Thereís nothing new about it and no thought process is ever involved. Very primitive and reptilian. Quick reflection and attack, attack, attack without an ounce of thought. Had he put some thoughts into his game, he would have turned things around against Nadal, but that never happens and will never happen. Nadalís clay game would have been under a lot of threats as well but as Iíve mentioned, he was never faced the adversities except for one time from Soderling. It made a difference on that day. There were only a few times when Federer put some thoughts into his game but typically itís very rare. Nadal is more thoughtful on other surfaces especially on hard courts. Thatís why I enjoy his game much more so on hards. I typically avoid his matches on clay unless I have to Ė like when heís up against either Andy or Nole. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:55:04 AM by Emma »
You are everything I am not.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »
Of course it's all idle speculation, but I just can't shake the thought that there is more going on with Rafa's health then the Hoffa syndrome in his knee...
It has been almost 7 months since his last competitive match, he has pulled out of the olympics ( huge deal for him ), several masters tournaments, the USO, Davis Cup final ( also a huge deal for him ).

And now, after  several statements from his camp, that the healing process was satisfactory, the knee is fine, etc., etc., he pulls out of the AO because of "lack of practice" ???
I just don't buy it...
Hopefully I am wrong, and he comes back his old self, but I doubt it.
There is more going on than the Rafa camp is willing say.
Players have come back from mensicus surgery, or ACL surgery faster than this.

He should play the AO even if not 100%. Just try to do his best.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2013, 08:55:40 AM »

No, actually I don't agree because it's strictly a matter of opinion that lies in the eyes of the beholder. Rafa's game on clay is very scripted and robotic. That's mostly because he doesn't face different challenges year in year out, so he doesnít feel the need to change it even slightly, so as a result, it becomes boring and predictable just like Federer's scripted game since 2003. Thereís nothing new about it and no thought process is ever involved. Very primitive and reptilian. Quick reflection and attack, attack, attack without an ounce of thought. Had he put some thoughts into his game, he would have turned things around against Nadal, but that never happens and will never happen. Nadalís clay game would have been under a lot of threats as well but as Iíve mentioned, he was never faced the adversities except for one time from Soderling. It made a difference on that day. There were only a few times when Federer put some thoughts into his game but typically itís very rare. Nadal is more thoughtful on other surfaces especially on hard courts. Thatís why I enjoy his game much more so on hards. I typically avoid his matches on clay unless I have to Ė like when heís up against either Andy or Nole.
To watch Rafa on clay, is to watch the foremost clay-court tennis player in history!! That is just the opinion of Navratilova! I consider that endorsement good enough : ) Anyways, beauty, excellence is indeed, in the fan's eyes.. So, where I see aesthetic beauty combined with brilliant stroke-play [Federer], you might experience drudgery!! When 'Plan A' is working, it is indeed rare to see a player try 'Plan B'!