Author Topic: MEN -- Australian Open 2013  (Read 17796 times)

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
Re: MEN -- Australian Open 2013
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2013, 01:55:02 AM »
Tomic lost the first set 7-6 Alex will be pleased
omg mate, thanks for letting me know. I'm trying to do some work here. just posting and missing the real fun. OK, switching to tennis hoping that the brat will lose it  :lol-cry:. I'm gonna hate myself if I don't finish this project. darn tennis  :innocent:

Congrats to Andy. it looks like we are going to see that dream final Andy/Tomic  :gleam:

Tomic to win CYGS for next 10 years  :paper bag: :ice cream:. discuss

Well, you didn't hear what he said during the on court interview. When asked how tough was the match. Guess what he replied ? He said Brands played unexpectedly well.
I've never heard any of the top players cast such disrespect to their opponents.
The world awaits no genius

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #261 on: January 17, 2013, 01:56:56 AM »
Who is still watching. Fed-Davy up next !!
The world awaits no genius

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2013, 02:46:11 AM »
I've just woken up and will tune in.  :yawn:

Fed appears to be up a break at 5-2
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:47:39 AM by euroka1 »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2013, 03:06:50 AM »
Fed up a break in the second set already. This is going to be short and sweet. Fred Stolle likes his chances for when he plays Tomic who had to play in the full heat of today.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2013, 03:11:15 AM »
gosh,  what's up with Rog's  pink shoes?  he needs a nice purse to go with it :rofl_2:

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2013, 03:18:31 AM »
gosh,  what's up with Rog's  pink shoes?  he needs a nice purse to go with it :rofl_2:

Rafa won slams with pink clothing, why not Roger?  :rofl_2:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2013, 03:26:59 AM »
I'm going off to watch Monfils - Lu 6-6 in the fifth set.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2013, 03:29:36 AM »

Rafa won slams with pink clothing, why not Roger?  :rofl_2:
I hope Emma will get me a nice pair of pink underwear for my birthday this year  :gleam:.

Fed is going to take this. I just don't think Kolya can do anything. Plus, Fed needs to destroy that little brat Tomic  :blues-brothers:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:32:59 AM by Alex »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2013, 04:16:54 AM »
Good win for Roger & i enjoyed the match,Davydenko played some nice tennis @ times.Tomic up next for Roger that should be fun :)

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2013, 04:21:17 AM »
Roger through to the 3rd round, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4.. Kolya was game.. fought hard.. totally professional.. However, Roger was very good.. Played at a high level, with aggression.. Serve looking good.. Roger is relaxed.. Bernie should pose a challenge, especially with his finesse shots [as Roger presumes].. Let's have it..   :)

Offline Djokovic Champion

• Tennis God
    • Djokovic numer one
« Reply #270 on: January 17, 2013, 06:10:50 AM »
Wow!!! Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Andy Murray are playing very well, I think they will face and they will do fantastic matches.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #271 on: January 17, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »
Davydenko, at his best, was never able to do anything against Fed. I think his biggest problem was his self confidence. His tennis skills were great. anyway, I enjoyed the match.

I read on some other tennis boards, so many people are writing off Fed ... I find it funny but whatever.

I'll say one more thing, as a Nole fan,  I'm getting annoyed by all hype around him right now. He can't lose, blah ... just give him the trophy, blah ...

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #272 on: January 17, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
Davydenko, at his best, was never able to do anything against Fed. I think his biggest problem was his self confidence. His tennis skills were great. anyway, I enjoyed the match.

I read on some other tennis boards, so many people are writing off Fed ... I find it funny but whatever.

I'll say one more thing, as a Nole fan,  I'm getting annoyed by all hype around him right now. He can't lose, blah ... just give him the trophy, blah ...

Why are you worried about your guy Alex? You know that the title is in da bag for Nole...
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #273 on: January 17, 2013, 02:04:58 PM »
I stayed up to watch Roger (2:00 am my time).  I went to bed around 4:30 am...Glad I'm retired.

I was concerned with Davydenko because he's a clean ball striker and you never know how "on" he can be.  But I'm glad Roger came through the match.  I also liked the fact that Roger didn't give any "board" material when they tried to get him to say something about Tomic.  As far as Tomic goes... I think it's fine to 'talk trash' as long as you can back it up.  He (Tomic) hasn't really backed anything up yet...so I hope Roger can put him in his place when they next meet like he did last year.  I just hope Roger comes out and plays well.  Tomic beat Novak in an exhibition match and now all of a sudden Tomic is saying he 'can't be beat'... Come on Roger....I'm counting on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

As far as the "pink".... You know I have NEVER been a fan of men wearing pink.  I didn't like Rafa's outfit years back.  I'm just glad the majority of Roger's outfit was grey...and not pink.  The color's together look ok...I just have a hard time seeing men in pink (unless it's for breast cancer awareness or something)...  I said maybe his twin girls liked the color and wanted their dad to wear it? :rofl_2:  I think that's just his "night" outfit.  I believe he's wearing blue during the day.

In any case...I'm just glad he's different and not wearing yellow like 99% of the players seem to be wearing during this tournament!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl_2:

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #274 on: January 17, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »

True tennis fans know the trophy is a 3 horse race this year,i'm loving watching as it's going to be so hard to win this year.Nole might be fav with the bookies,who knows the other side of the draw could open up yet,time will tell.Wawrinka or Anderson may get hot but Berdych would be my fav to face Nole. Stepanek will be brushed aside i don't see any problems in this one.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #275 on: January 17, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »
omg mate, thanks for letting me know. I'm trying to do some work here. just posting and missing the real fun. OK, switching to tennis hoping that the brat will lose it  :lol-cry:. I'm gonna hate myself if I don't finish this project. darn tennis  :innocent:

Congrats to Andy. it looks like we are going to see that dream final Andy/Tomic  :gleam:

Well, you didn't hear what he said during the on court interview. When asked how tough was the match. Guess what he replied ? He said Brands played unexpectedly well.
I've never heard any of the top players cast such disrespect to their opponents.

And not just once, either. He dissed him twice, maybe 3 times, dismissing him as a pesky journeyman. I was wondering if someone was going to mention that.  :)
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #276 on: January 17, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »

Med, I've seen many stupid things but I have never seen someone to be so ignorant as Tomic. I can post so many stupid things he said, but tennis fans know it already. I don't like him, I don't like narcissistic people. I will never approve that kind of behavior even if he wins majors.

I really support young players but Tomic needs to learn some manners. I've never disliked any players (well, except Connors), but I just can't stand Tomic.

I want Fed to win this match and I'm pretty sure he will.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #277 on: January 17, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »

Why are you worried about your guy Alex? You know that the title is in da bag for Nole...
It's not that I'm worried about him. sure I want him to win as much as you want Fed to win. I do not like any kind of worshiping. To me it's sport. It is not given that Djokovi  will win the AO, but I guess journalists have to talk about something. It's like Nadal winning RG talk. look at the ESPN site, 9 out of 10 editors picked Novak as a winner (sorry can't remember how many editors, but all except one picked Nole). just too much hype.

as I said, so many times, I picked Novak as my favorite player when nobody knew who he was, for all kind of different reasons (he was so much fun at that time). Now, he happened to be a multiple slam winner and #1 which is great. lately, I've been trying to find some new young guys to support, watching challengers, juniors etc. I believe in Filip Peliwo and really hope he'll be the next big thing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:59:34 PM by Alex »

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #278 on: January 17, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »
I’m just going to try & watch some highlights – couldn’t watch much of day  4.    The biggest news seems to be Federer’s pink shoes!  And Tomic’s continuing  provocation of all and sundry.  I’d prefer to take a peek at the tennis.   

The results  for the men's second round  Day 4 – 17th  January:

Roger Federer (2) defeated Nikolay Davydenko; 6-3, 6-4, 6-4

Andy Murray (3) defeated Joao Sousa; 6-2, 6-2, 6-4

Juan Martin Del Potro (6) defeated Benjamin Becker; 6-2, 6-4, 6-2

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (7) defeated Go Soeda; 6-3, 7-6 (7-1), 6-3

Richard Gasquet (9) defeated Alejandro Falla; 6-3, 6-2, 6-2

Marin Cilic (12) defeated Rajeev Ram; 7-5, 6-2, 6-4

Milos Raonic (13) defeated Lukas Rosol; 7-6 (7-2), 6-2, 6-3

Gilles Simon (14) defeated Jesse Levine; 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2

Philipp Kohlschreiber (17) defeated Amir Weintraub; 6-2, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4

Andreas Seppi (21) defeated Denis Istomin; 7-6 (7-4), 5-7, 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (7-3), 6-2

Ricardas Berankis defeated Florian Mayer (25); 6-2, 6-3, 6-1

Jeremy Chardy defeated Marcel Granollers (30); 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2

Gael Monfils defeated Yen-Hsun Lu; 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 0-6, 6-1, 8-6

Blaz Kavcic defeated James Duckworth; 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 10-8

Ivan Dodig defeated Jarkko Nieminen; 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-1

Bernard Tomic defeated Daniel Brands; 6-7 (4-7), 7-5, 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (10-8)

The schedule of play for day  5 – 18th January:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/index.html

Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #279 on: January 17, 2013, 05:58:44 PM »
Alex -  I can understand why you'd be fed up with the hype in relation to Djokovic.   But I can also understand the hype.

I much prefer justified hype to idiotic gushing, and to me, the hype surrounding Djokovic is justified.  Who else deserves it?   With Federer inconsistent & increasingly vulnerable in the face of a determined opponent with a decent game, and Murray still not as confident as he needs to be,  Djokovic is by far & away the most likely contender for the title, and the most likely beneficiary of the hype  - especially with this draw.

Of course anything could happen, but the predictions about Djokovic's likely chances are both realistic and in accordance with his position as the best player in the world. In this regard, perhaps it is more a case of the media / commentators stating the obvious, than it being hype.

And actually I can't see that a fan's acknowledgment of him as the favourite for the title is tantamount to worshipping him.   

But on a good day, I agree with Sid that any one of the top 3 could win the title here.

I wonder if Del Potro has any ideas of surprising the pundits?   :)     I can't see Berdych or Ferrer doing it. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:01:05 PM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem