Author Topic: MEN -- Australian Open 2013  (Read 22587 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: MEN -- Australian Open 2013
« Reply #560 on: January 21, 2013, 05:23:27 AM »
Fed gets second set 7-6, up a break in the third.

This match isn't nearly as much fun as the much deplored match yesterday. :lol-cry:

I'm going back to sleep.  :ZZZZZ)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:11:45 AM by euroka1 »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #561 on: January 21, 2013, 05:23:39 AM »
This match is all over Roger v Tsonga then next,Raonic did not show up.Med Murray & Fed just both beat the 13th & 14th seeds ;-()  so don't wine.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #562 on: January 21, 2013, 05:26:10 AM »
Hi sid,
 :(
I won't wine but, as a spectator, I am disappointed.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #563 on: January 21, 2013, 05:30:04 AM »
Hi sid,

Both matches have been rubbish to watch i must admit,both for Roger & Murray you can only beat what's in front of you.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #564 on: January 21, 2013, 05:35:02 AM »
Hi sid,

Both matches have been rubbish to watch i must admit,both for Roger & Murray you can only beat what's in front of you.

You've said it.

People gave Tomic a hard time a couple of days ago but he certainly made for an interesting match.

Really going to sleep now. I'm a bit sorry I woke up early.  :ZZZZZ)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
MEN -- Australian Open 2013
« Reply #565 on: January 21, 2013, 05:47:16 AM »
Now I can rest! Great job Roger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #566 on: January 21, 2013, 05:55:06 AM »
The interview was more interesting than the match !!
The world awaits no genius

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
  • In the blink of an eye, the universe.
« Reply #567 on: January 21, 2013, 07:31:13 AM »
I love Gasquet's game & like to see him play well, but Tsonga did the necessary job & well done to him for getting to the QF. 

I saw a game I like, in Chardy's performance against Del Potro and have never warmed to Seppi, so I'm pleased to see Chardy through.

Expectedly, Simon had little left in the tank & this match with Murray was a formality. I have little doubt the GS would have been given his marching orders by Murray regardless,  but there is little doubt that his previous 5 set debacle was of help to Murray in this match.  Murray gets through without dropping a set. He'll next face Chardy who is unlikely to cause him much concern either. 

I disagree that Raonic didn't put up a challenge and that this match was comparable to the Murray / Simon one in that respect.  MR's serve was not easy for Federer to break & the first 2 sets were difficult for that reason.  What this match highlighted was that, despite a continuing improvement in his game, MR remains a one dimensional player, and often struggles when he needs more than his serve.  I much prefer Tomic's game.    Federer needs his full energy against Tsonga, so a less than riveting match against Raonic gets no complaints from me!   :)  A quick & undramatic match will no doubt be most acceptable to Federer, and it certainly is to me! 

For those who enjoy statistics, this was Federer's 251 GS match win & I think this is his 35th consecutive GS quarterfinal.  Another outstanding achievement by the great man.     

Results for 21st January:

Federer bt Raonic  64,76,62.
Murray bt Simon 63,61,63.
Tsonga bt Gasquet  64,36,63,62.
Chardy bt Seppi  67,63,62,62.

Schedule of play for the 22 January:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/index.html

Can the semifinal be between anyone other than Ferrer / Djokovic? Will pigs fly in Melbourne this year?     

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:34:59 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #568 on: January 21, 2013, 07:52:26 AM »
I hope Tsonga wins this cos he would have a much better chance v Roger than Gasquet would.I Hope Raonic can take some out of Roger in the late match.I'm sure Roger's fans will feel the same with Simon & who Murray plays next.

I don't / can't feel the same, SID because Murray has no one in his side who can bother him. I picked him for the semifinal here, from the outset. Partly because he can often beat most players regardless of  who they are, and also because his chances of doing so increased with an easy draw that got even easier for him with Del Potro gone.

Federer, has had a more difficult draw, a remaining opponent that has troubled him in the recent past & Tsonga will most likely be a challenge. So whilst you have a realistic hope in Tsonga, I don't have one against Murray.   But I don't want a hope. I'd like to see a Federer / Murray semifinal.
Carpe Diem

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #569 on: January 21, 2013, 08:26:56 AM »
I hope Tsonga wins this cos he would have a much better chance v Roger than Gasquet would.I Hope Raonic can take some out of Roger in the late match.I'm sure Roger's fans will feel the same with Simon & who Murray plays next.

I don't / can't feel the same, SID because Murray has no one in his side who can bother him. I picked him for the semifinal here, from the outset. Partly because he can often beat most players regardless of  who they are, and also because his chances of doing so increased with an easy draw that got even easier for him with Del Potro gone.

Federer, has had a more difficult draw, a remaining opponent that has troubled him in the recent past & Tsonga will most likely be a challenge. So whilst you have a realistic hope in Tsonga, I don't have one against Murray.   But I don't want a hope. I'd like to see a Federer / Murray semifinal.

Time to pull you up abit Gawdblessya,i said from the off on paper Roger section was hardest,but Murray's was second hardest before a ball was hit.If tennis players like Potty & Marin Cilic don't step up,that's there problem not Murray's lol.Murray's first round v Robin Haase,had the highest seed of the top 3,& he try's to wack you out with winners.Jeremy Chardy beat Murray in a Masters last year & the last time thay played.Murray had Raonic @ the US Open & beat him.Murray & Fed's match were not good to watch,Nole's match the night before was a cracker.Don't get me wrong i'm very happy Murray's not lost a set so far.

Offline Gawdblessya

• Tennis God
« Reply #570 on: January 21, 2013, 09:35:03 AM »
Time to pull you up abit Gawdblessya,i said from the off on paper Roger section was hardest,but Murray's was second hardest before a ball was hit.If tennis players like Potty & Marin Cilic don't step up,that's there problem not Murray's lol.Murray's first round v Robin Haase,had the highest seed of the top 3,& he try's to wack you out with winners.Jeremy Chardy beat Murray in a Masters last year & the last time thay played.Murray had Raonic @ the US Open & beat him.Murray & Fed's match were not good to watch,Nole's match the night before was a cracker.Don't get me wrong i'm very happy Murray's not lost a set so far.

Sid, thanks for pulling me up -  I enjoy a chat & mulling things over.
I responded to your specific comment about hoping that Federer could have a challenge & that his fans would no doubt hope for the same for Murray.  My response to your above comment remains the same - there is no one  - certainly from my view, that I could have hoped for other than Del Potro. And he's gone.   My saying so does not deny that you acknowledged that Federer had the most awkward draw on paper.  Frankly, that was acknowledged by all & sundry, including in the media.

Chardy could of course cause an upset, but the Murray playing this tournament is not the one he beat  last year.  I expect a straight sets win for Murray. That is why I don't see Chardy as a hope.

Federer, on the other hand is not as consistent against a top player who is playing his best game  any more.  He hasn't been for a while.  And it turns out that he hasn't been challenged here thus far.  Tsonga could conceivably cause problems for him & this is why I think you have more of a hope in Tsonga than I can have in Chardy.

EDIT to add:  As for boring matches, I wish both Federer & Murray another boring match each & good luck to get to the SF's!   :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:50:52 AM by Gawdblessya »
Carpe Diem

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #571 on: January 21, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »
Schedule of play for the 22 January:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/index.html

Can the semifinal be between anyone other than Ferrer / Djokovic? Will pigs fly in Melbourne this year?     

That's my expectation.

Good lineup tonight and tomorrow early for both men and ladies.  :)

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #572 on: January 21, 2013, 11:00:17 AM »
Congrats to Murray and Fed. I wasn't able to see any matches so I can't comment. I just watched some highlights. Murray/Fed look much better than Nole. I don't think Novak will win this year. 

Online FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #573 on: January 21, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Roger's murder draw continues. Now he has to take out Tsonga who has beaten him in a slam.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #574 on: January 21, 2013, 11:57:41 AM »
Roger's murder draw continues. Now he has to take out Tsonga who has beaten him in a slam.
we can only speculate but I don't think Tsonga will do it. Fed looks good, he'll probably outplay Tsonga.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #575 on: January 21, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
we can only speculate but I don't think Tsonga will do it. Fed looks good, he'll probably outplay Tsonga.

I hope you are correct for a change, Alex.... ://

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #576 on: January 21, 2013, 03:16:19 PM »
Gawdblessya we all have our veiws on tennis & i repect what you say.I'm pleased Tsonga is facing Fed with luck he wins or makes it a 5 setter.There always one who comes out the pack,this year it's Chardy,after all he's taken out Potty.Murray v Chardy i think will be more than 3 sets,just look @ how many winners he had.Murray always seems to find them here like Verdasco.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:17:07 PM by sid »

Online FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #577 on: January 21, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »
It's the dream quarterfinal:

Federer vs Tsonga

Sparks will fly.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #578 on: January 21, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »
It's the dream quarterfinal:

Federer vs Tsonga

Sparks will fly.

If that's the case, Tsonga will have to show and maintain the heart, head, and desire that he so very rarely sustains in big matches.

I'm not buying.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #579 on: January 21, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »
Babble - I find your lack of faith... disturbing.