Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

2013 Aussie Open: Your Guide to 1R, 2R (ATP and WTA)

(1/3) > >>

Babblelot:
Okay, folks, my take on 1R match-ups is completely different than those I've already read on T4U (cough, cough). Trashing "all other" is inherent to a fanbase that consists almost entirely of  fanboys :thumb-down: who are only willing to and/or capable of discuss(ing) the semifinals and finals. :nono:  And you were just thinking, "Golly, it's awful quiet on the eve of the AO..."

First, the ATP

In a match that wreaks of last year's Isner-Mahut Wimbledon 1R do-over, the ITF powers that be have paired Ryan "The Tantrumator(TM)(c)" Harrison with Santiago Giraldo. Better luck this time, cry baby!

Harrison v. Giraldo - see above

Troicki v. Stepanek - could be quite entertaining if BOTH of these guys show up

Malisse v. Andujar - Malisse is playing well right now

Goffin v. Verdasco - lots of upside to this match-up

Ramos v. Baghdatis - Ramos caught my eye last year, watch for an upset

Bennetteau v. Dimitrov - :thumbs-up:

Hewitt v. Tipsarevic - Hewitt won't see week 2, but round 2 isn't out of the question as he's fit for the first time in a long while and playing well

Monfils v. Dolgopolov - Dumb and Dumber in either order, but could prove highly entertaining

Tsonga v. Llodra - Tsonga chose (or injured?) not to play any warm-up tourneys. I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is. Proved last year he doesn't like to fight in the heat down under losing to a hobbled Nishikori.

Haas v. Neimenen - retro match. Neimenen's crafty play could make this entertaining

WTA

Wozniacki v. Lisicki - Hello!

Suarez-Navarro v. Errani - this is the sight of Suarez's upset of Venus Williams and first QF appearance

Oudin v. Robson - IMO would be a HUGE win for either, but my pick is Robson

Schiavone v. Kvitova - can Fran stick around long enough for Kvitova to implode? Not likely, but...

Vandeweghe v. Cirstea - can Cirstea back up her first time seeded at a slam against the young American with big weapons?

Medina Garrigues v. Bartoli - Medina is always a tough out

Notables that involve Babblelot's interests

Almagro v. Johnson - Vamos Nico, my guy!! Johnson is on my list of newcomers to watch

Paire v. Federer - Paire is on my list of newcomers to watch

Alex:
Nole/Murray final, or Murray/Fed semis. sorry bud couldn't help it  :)). I'll try to be serious tho  :)>>>>

Babblelot:

--- Quote from: Alex on January 13, 2013, 01:54:59 PM ---Nole/Murray final, or Murray/Fed semis. sorry bud couldn't help it  :)). I'll try to be serious tho  :)>>>>

--- End quote ---

Well, I refrained from saying, "and you know who you are," but... you know who you are  :)~  not to single you out, my friend.

FreakyGOAT > CD:
My "big" prediction is as follows:

Goffin def. Verdasco
Not really an upset, but what makes this a bold prediction is that I think Goffin will reach QFs.

Other than that, Tipsy to def. Hewitt and reach SFs.

Book both of those.

Babblelot:

--- Quote from: Freak3yman84 on January 13, 2013, 06:03:58 PM ---My "big" prediction is as follows:

Goffin def. Verdasco
Not really an upset, but what makes this a bold prediction is that I think Goffin will reach QFs.

Other than that, Tipsy to def. Hewitt and reach SFs.

Book both of those.

--- End quote ---

Not much for 1R upsets, but those QF and SF runs are :yikes:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version